New coach

crazzymark

According to the NCAA, when a coaching change happens during the season, any athlete who signed a letter of intent to commit to said school, can decommit and recommit with another school.

Last edited:

Adunk33

Staff member
according to hoopdirt.com we are in 1st round of interviews we have interviewed Ben McCollum from Northwest MO
Would be a very ISU type of hire. Low risk, high reward and on the cheap. Definitely the cheapest of the 3 listed (McCollum, Prohm, Powell).

B

BirdGrad2011

No disrespect to Ben, but that would be such an underwhelming hire. That would not bring fans back quickly.

MadBird

No disrespect to Ben, but that would be such an underwhelming hire. That would not bring fans back quickly.
Although I tend to agree with you - hiring a 3 time national champ, 4 time national coach of the year, 9 conference titles in 12 seasons - there's something there to sell. Let's say we aren't in the mix for Powell, or Prohm or someone like that. Is McCollum an easier sell than, say, Oliver? or one of the Utah "connection" guys? A "faceless" assistant just like the last guy? I think you could take McCollum and say, hey folks, here's a champion, a guy who knows how to win, young guy on the way up. Excitement, already has coaching experience, etc. etc.

I don't know, but I look at his record and say, who knows? I could get behind it.

ILLST25

according to hoopdirt.com we are in 1st round of interviews we have interviewed Ben McCollum from Northwest MO

Rsolaw90

I’m not sure that any coach we hire is going to bring fans back quickly. You might get a slight uptick depending on who the choice turns out to be but the proof will be in the pudding. Not sure there will be much of an increase until we show that we are winning and that the new coach has a chance to be successful.

redbirds2000

Brennan doesn't exactly have a lot to sell to the candidates. Championships are minimal, tradition is minimal, history is minimal, national exposure is non existent, the conference just got tougher and may still be 1 bid, a generation of fans/alumni have become disinterested. What's the selling point? "We use to have really loud fans at Horton??" The candidates are interviewing ISU too. I wonder how many qualified candidates were approached and said, "no thanks". Just because we want them doesn't mean they want us.

B

BirdGrad2011

Brennan doesn't exactly have a lot to sell to the candidates. Championships are minimal, tradition is minimal, history is minimal, national exposure is non existent, the conference just got tougher and may still be 1 bid, a generation of fans/alumni have become disinterested. What's the selling point? "We use to have really loud fans at Horton??" The candidates are interviewing ISU too. I wonder how many qualified candidates were approached and said, "no thanks". Just because we want them doesn't mean they want us.
I promise you the job is in higher demand than you think. It is arguably the top job in the MVC even with the lack of recent success.

redbirds2000

It’s without question. Plenty of people are interested. The biggest question is the money IMO. A Dennis Gates would be here in a heartbeat if we could pay the buyout and give him a raise.
$$$ is part of being a "top job". Gates will get Major offers anyway. He's already proven himself as a Mid Major HC. Why would he want to rebuild another Mid Major when there will be Major jobs open? I'm sure he would rather rebuild Georgia than ISU. I bet he's looking to double/triple his salary, not just get a raise.

Yogi

I am already on board I brought him up earlier on this sight

Top Bottom