Ndiaye ruled an Academic Redshirt

johnaaa10

Can practice but cannot travel.

https://twitter.com/pg_benson/status/1034886736030121987?s=21

https://twitter.com/pg_benson/status/1034886988606959622?s=21

B

BirdGrad2011

This had long been rumored. Not a surprise unfortunately. At least he can practice.

Adunk33

Staff member
Flagship08 said:
So this means he has 4 years starting next year?

Yes. Definitely good he can practice/workout with the team. He should have some good opportunity to develop. I think this may be for the best. Muller mentioned that he has a very high ceiling in the future.

Redbirdwarrior

This is OUTSTANDING news, I think. The kid gets a year to practice against the best starting 5 in a strong Valley and then gets to play 4 years (theoretically) as what should be all-valley potential from day 1.

I hope he can ignore all of the other colleges that will still consider this open season on our young potential POY. Something tells me Marshall will be in his ear immediately.

TIMMY

No surprise at all but we could have used his depth. I really have no use for these fly by night high schools.

WoodlandWarrior

I agree. Practicing against the other ISU players plus a full year of acclimation and weight training can only help the kid get ready for the 2019-2020 season. We will need him to be ready given our graduation losses..

And by the way, I blame Glasser for needing new tires on the Prius and for a small crack in my new Ninja blender.. :eek:)

Jsnhbe1Birds

The Redbirds are getting pretty thin with available active players. Plenty that can practice but can't play.

1. Yarbrough
2. Fayne
3. Evans
4. Copeland
5. Tinsley
6. Jefferson
7. Bruniga
8. Idowu
9. Chastain
10. Hein
11. Gassman

I count 11 active. A couple injuries and left with nine players.

crazzymark

Here er go again!! Maybe the kid from U -High that just quit the FB team would try to walk on...he had many D I BB offers....6'7" +

Jsnhbe1Birds

Metamoron said:
Plus Ndiaye practicing and at least one walk-on.

Ndiaye, hillsman, fisher, donnely, and Boyd cannot play therefore they do not count on the active list. And, no walk ons that we know of. 11 active. That's all we have this season thus far.

Bdub777

cpacmel said:
Flagship08 said:
So this means he has 4 years starting next year?

Everyone gets 5 years to play 4 years.

Unless you are Zach Lofton.....then you get 7 years to play for six different teams....or something like that......

Birdman

With our luck, just hoping this doesn’t ultimately turn into a transfer situation.

Metamoron

Jsnhbe1Birds said:
Metamoron said:
Plus Ndiaye practicing and at least one walk-on.

Ndiaye, hillsman, fisher, donnely, and Boyd cannot play therefore they do not count on the active list. And, no walk ons that we know of. 11 active. That's all we have this season thus far.

Donnelly

Edit - nevermind. I didn’t realize he had to sit out.

ChiRedbirdfan

Redbirdwarrior said:
This is OUTSTANDING news, I think. The kid gets a year to practice against the best starting 5 in a strong Valley and then gets to play 4 years (theoretically) as what should be all-valley potential from day 1.

I hope he can ignore all of the other colleges that will still consider this open season on our young potential POY. Something tells me Marshall will be in his ear immediately.

"OUTSTANDING" news on this situation....????? I believe his size and athleticism could have helped this team this year and ISU is thin around the rim so his size would be needed against the high level teams ISU will face. I'll bet DM was hoping he would qualify and be available this year but that was out of his control. Realistically what are the odds that Ndiaye is here all five years especially since he is not from this country....meaning the odds are we likely just lost one year of Ndiaye playing in a Redbird uni.

I have had 2 SEED players live with me during the past 5 years including Makhtar Gueye (during the summers of 2014 and 2015) who also turned down several power conference schools (UCONN, Florida, Marquette, DePaul...etc) to play at a mid-major (UAB) program. The challenge for the two kids that stayed with me as respects to qualifying was due to their limited ability to read and comprehend english even though they could speak english well enough to easily live/function in the US. Try taking the ACT test when you can barely read and comprehend English at an elementary grade level. Makhtar speaks five different languages and is a bright kid. Unfortunately his grasp of the English language made it difficult and slow for him to qualify. So when these foreign players have to take additional classes to qualify it is a real challenge for them. The Ndiaye situation may be similar?....meaning he could be bright in many ways but unfortunately he is playing catch up so qualifying is taking him longer as he can not take a lot of classes at once.

As an aside, Brian B who runs the SEED program feels ISU got a really good player in Ndiaye,

bombay

This seemed inevitable. I'm still looking forward to his Redbird career.

ISU FAN 1

I’ll bet Duke or Ky would have gotten him eligible. Too bad. He would have been in this year’s already stacked top 5. Of course the NCAA would derail our year to make some noise.

Top Bottom