NCAA, refs, missed calls, overturning calls

ISU FAN 1

IMO, it’s time to let players decide the outcome of games again. Every year seems to bring an increase in controversial calls/replays that determine the National Champion. I won my bracket pool with Virginia as my champ, so no sour grapes here. I’m willing to accept human error. Since I know that won’t happen, because they think they are getting it right, I’ll just anxiously await ISU’s chance to get screwed in an NCAA tourney game. After 20 years, even that is something to look forward to.

Bird Friend

ISU FAN 1 said:
IMO, it’s time to let players decide the outcome of games again. Every year seems to bring an increase in controversial calls/replays that determine the National Champion. I won my bracket pool with Virginia as my champ, so no sour grapes here. I’m willing to accept human error. Since I know that won’t happen, because they think they are getting it right, I’ll just anxiously await ISU’s chance to get screwed in an NCAA tourney game. After 20 years, even that is something to look forward to.

So it's kinda hard to discuss a debate question/comment that doesn't offer any details . . . Point out some things you felt happened that changed games so we can discuss.

CaliRdBrd

Bird Friend said:
ISU FAN 1 said:

So it's kinda hard to discuss a debate question/comment that doesn't offer any details . . . Point out some things you felt happened that changed games so we can discuss.

It’s just a humble-brag about winning his/her pool:)

SgtHulka

CaliRdBrd said:
Bird Friend said:
ISU FAN 1 said:

I hear he earn 8th figure in Rubles for glorious victory

Chicagobirdfan

Bird Friend said:
ISU FAN 1 said:

Going to go out on a limb and say he is referring to several bad calls that decided games in the NCAA tournament from the obvious missed double dribble in the Virginia/auburn game to the more subjective missed push off in duke game?

bombay

SgtHulka said:
CaliRdBrd said:
Bird Friend said:

I hear he earn 8th figure in Rubles for glorious victory

lol

ISU FAN 1

Chicagobirdfan said:
Bird Friend said:
ISU FAN 1 said:

Going to go out on a limb and say he is referring to several bad calls that decided games in the NCAA tournament from the obvious missed double dribble in the Virginia/auburn game to the more subjective missed push off in duke game?
Yes. And add the Moretti “touch” from the Hunter deflection last night. Or, the Odiase “non touch” moments before. Not sure how either could be ruled indisputable evidence to overturn a call, yet were ruled differently. Then, where there’s a clear cut mistake in the last minute of the TT/Gonzaga game, it’s not on a play that’s reviewable. Referring to “save in” after blocked shot where Owens clearly out of bounds. Refs can review a player’s feet with respect to the 3 point arc, but can’t make the same judgement on an out of bounds call.

Another bad call .... https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-biggest-blown-call-of-the-virginia-texas-tech-game-is-one-no-one-is-talking-about

Bird Friend

ISU FAN 1 said:
Chicagobirdfan said:
Bird Friend said:
Yes. And add the Moretti “touch” from the Hunter deflection last night. Or, the Odiase “non touch” moments before. Not sure how either could be ruled indisputable evidence to overturn a call, yet were ruled differently. Then, where there’s a clear cut mistake in the last minute of the TT/Gonzaga game, it’s not on a play that’s reviewable. Referring to “save in” after blocked shot where Owens clearly out of bounds. Refs can review a player’s feet with respect to the 3 point arc, but can’t make the same judgement on an out of bounds call.

Another bad call .... https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-biggest-blown-call-of-the-virginia-texas-tech-game-is-one-no-one-is-talking-about

So it seems you're arguing both sides of the debate. Let the kids play . . . but look at these missed calls that should be reviewable. Which do you want? To review the calls or not to review the calls?

I'll be honest, I don't think the current set up is tenable. I believe strongly that the game today is too fast for the officials. That's not a knock on the officials, it's just that guys are so much bigger, faster, and stronger than the officials. And there's usually so much action going on I don't believe officials can see all of what's going on.

So any solution we offer will have it's downsides. I guess it really comes down to what we're willing to live with.

Red Rocker

I did care much who won, but the officiating was definitely in Virginia’s favor.

In OT, Guy grabs the Tech player on the fast break, the other VA guy should have had a reach in foul, the evidence was not conclusive, and they took for ever to examine it.

These reviews that are splitting hairs have to end. Only the complete obvious one need addressing

Redbird222

I think they need to rethink replay when a call would go one way the first 38 minutes of a game and superslow mo results in a different call the last two minutes. For example when the defender reaches in and pokes the ball out of bounds with no deflection. The first 38 minutes its off the defender while the last two minutes we might see a fingernail still on the ball after the defender pokes the ball.

Top Bottom