NCAA - FBI Investigation

ThisIsTheLineup

Hey guys - I just wanted to give the FBI investigation its own thread.

Pulling this from Reddit:

Updating list:

Coaches
Lamont Evans - Oklahoma State, investigated while at South Carolina
Chuck Person - Auburn
Emanuel Richardson - Arizona
Tony Bland - USC

Others
Rashan Michel Thompson - Bespoke Clothing and former NCAA official
Jim Gatto - Adidas
Merl Code - Adidas
Munish Sood - Princeton Capital (need some inline flair for this one mods)
Christian Dawkins - NBA agent
Jonathan Brad Augustine - The League Initiative

Likely Affected Recruits (take these with a grain of salt - they're determined only via context clues; not names)
Brian Bowen - Louisville
Jahvon Quinerly - Arizona
De'Anthony Melton - USC
Charles O'Bannon Jr. - USC
Jeffery Carrol - Oklahoma State
Mustapha Heron - Auburn
P.J. Dozier - South Carolina
Nassir Little - Miami

Other Schools Possibly Involved
South Carolina
Miami, FL

FEAR the Bird

Not sure why they are talking all this jail time and why the FBI is even involved. Identify the cheaters, ban them from NCAA Bball (in any capacity) and move on. Is this really the biggest financial scandal in the country right now?

cpacmel

FEAR the Bird said:
Not sure why they are talking all this jail time and why the FBI is even involved. Identify the cheaters, ban them from NCAA Bball (in any capacity) and move on. Is this really the biggest financial scandal in the country right now?

Someone needs to read up on what has gone down here. These are big time federal crimes that have allegedly taken place.

NCAA will hopefully do their jobs after that. Though I wouldn't hold my breath with them.

FEAR the Bird

I have read up on it, I don't like the $$$ and control that the power schools have on NCAA Bball programs. I am all about identifying the cheaters and banning them, but it seems the FBI would have better things to do. What MAJOR crimes are you seeing? Paying recruits and family members for attending school and taking $$$ for apparel and shoe contracts? EVERYONE knows this has been going on for years. Yes, I have a BIG problem with that and the people involved
need to be gone from NCAA sports. Don't get me wrong, there should be severe punishment, but I would think the FBI would have bigger fish to go after.

FEAR the Bird

I know the popular argument to my post will be, "because the NCAA has known about this for years and ignored it." I don' t disagree and I have bitched about this for years myself!

Redbird Alum 2004

I think the FBI is involved because this is more than just paying a kid or his family. The NCAA has created a cartel with the power 5 to ensure they get as big of the revenue pie as possible. NCAA basketball is a billion dollar business and if they were at all aware there will be major ramifications.

cpacmel

if found guilty of the charges, chuck Person faces a maximum sentence of 80 years in federal prison.

That sounds pretty major to me.

fdbird83

cpacmel said:
if found guilty of the charges, chuck Person faces a maximum sentence of 80 years in federal prison.

That sounds pretty major to me.

I wonder how many of these guys, like Chuck Person, will roll on their higherups for immunity or a lesser sentence.

FEAR the Bird

Redbird Alum 2004 said:
I think the FBI is involved because this is more than just paying a kid or his family. The NCAA has created a cartel with the power 5 to ensure they get as big of the revenue pie as possible. NCAA basketball is a billion dollar business and if they were at all aware there will be major ramifications.
I can definitely see that angle.

TreRoberson4Heisman

crazzymark said:
SO UofI should be in this as well as WSU....

http://shockernet.net/forum/showthread.php?24216-NBC-News-quot-The-FBI-Has-Arrested-Several-NCAA-Assistant-Basketball-Coaches-quot&s=bf8514096d27d0723d0e72090f8ae2b9

The bad guys from the North's thread on the issue if anyone is curious.

TreRoberson4Heisman

TreRoberson4Heisman said:
crazzymark said:

http://shockernet.net/forum/showthread.php?24216-NBC-News-quot-The-FBI-Has-Arrested-Several-NCAA-Assistant-Basketball-Coaches-quot&s=bf8514096d27d0723d0e72090f8ae2b9

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=23981

Also, U of I fans are nervous about Underwood (that's none of my business meme)

FEAR the Bird

crazzymark said:

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=23981

Also, U of I fans are nervous about Underwood (that's none of my business meme)
:clap: :violin:

Hamdonger

DP mentioned in another thread that storm clouds are brewing. The storm clouds are everywhere, brother. It's just interesting to me how and when they (whoever 'they' is) decide to drop the bomb on programs. It's almost comical, because the corruption is very much widespread - and that's putting it modestly. Carolina's powder blue is coming up here at some point. And theirs isn't even an FBI investigation...yet.

So much money involved. So freakin much. Hands in pockets everywhere. It's like a big giant tree with thousands of branches. But the tree is the fundamental. The tree in this case is absolutely the NCAA. NCAA is practically mafioso. I'm just curious...who broke this open to the point where the FBI got involved? Cause make no mistake, nooooo mistake. NCAA has enough money and wields enough power to influence these 'investigations'...yes, even federal investigations, one way or another.

On the one hand, it's about time because this is a half-century deal that's been going on, and since the 80's - has gained serious traction. On the other hand, is this going to accomplish ANYTHING, or will it be business as usual??

Not necessarily a Pitino fan but the focus of the vile is on him. I find that interesting. He's done a good job of digging his own hole the last 10 years, but... media and the masses will always find someone to blame. People in power will always find someone to blame, especially where money is involved. Why?? TO TAKE YOUR ATTENTION OFF OF WHERE THE PROBLEM REALLY LIES.