MVFC Week #6 Slate

TreRoberson4Heisman

A lot of great Missouri Valley Football lined up this week.

No. 2 North Dakota State @ Indiana State
12:00 PM ESPN3 Memorial Stadium, Terre Haute, IN

No. 3 Youngstown State @ No. 6 South Dakota
2:00 PM ESPN3 DakotaDome, Vermillion, SD

No. 18 Western Illinois @ No. 21 Northern Iowa
4:00 PM ESPN3 UNI-Dome, Cedar Falls, IA 42 tickets

Southern Illinois @ No. 9 South Dakota State
6:00 PM ESPN3 Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium, Brookings, SD

No. 7 Illinois State @ Northern Arizona
6:00 PM Pluto TV Walkup Stadium, Flagstaff, AZ

NDSU and the Birds will take care of business on the road. I am all-in on South Dakota...I believe they will continue to make statements and beat YSU by over 10 (bold prediction). I like UNI at home in a close one. Lastly, SDSU will take care of business at home.

What's everyone thinking about in regards to YSU and South Dakota?

fourthandshort

I'm afraid to pick .. I was killing it on AGS until last week .. went 2-3. I knew the 3 games I lost were toss ups. What broke my confidence was how each game played out - not what I figured would unfold in these games regardless of who won any of the 3.

Biggest question mark heading into this week is UNI .. are they coming together or not ??

But this week loos a tad easier than last week .. but still not ready to make my picks.

rdt99

I am really fearful of Northern Arizona. We have to be alert the WHOLE GAME. No let down no matter what the score. I know WIU handled them easily,, but they have improved since then.

fourthandshort

rdt99 said:
I am really fearful of Northern Arizona. We have to be alert the WHOLE GAME. No let down no matter what the score. I know WIU handled them easily,, but they have improved since then.

100% agree .. they are warming up their offense that seemed out of sync the first few weeks.

Bu tthey have not seen a defense like ours yet. So unlike InSU game, we have to make sure we play a balanced ball control offensive attack that chews up clock. Their defense was weak last year and should be as weak this year since they lost 5-6 starters. Our game plan and OL need to be in lockstep. Thin air elevation will be issue even though Spack said it won't. So we need to slow everything down on offense and grind it out with run game and short-intermediate pass game .. occassional deep ball to keep them honest .. but their QB is very good, so we want to do to them like YSU did to SDSU .. and limit their time on field.

Their offense will get some yards and points, and they will try to get our defense gassed in the thin air .. assuming hurry up to not just put us on our heels but prevent substitutions. Got to be ready for this.

Redbird28

fourthandshort said:
rdt99 said:

100% agree .. they are warming up their offense that seemed out of sync the first few weeks.

Bu tthey have not seen a defense like ours yet. So unlike InSU game, we have to make sure we play a balanced ball control offensive attack that chews up clock. Their defense was weak last year and should be as weak this year since they lost 5-6 starters. Our game plan and OL need to be in lockstep. Thin air elevation will be issue even though Spack said it won't. So we need to slow everything down on offense and grind it out with run game and short-intermediate pass game .. occassional deep ball to keep them honest .. but their QB is very good, so we want to do to them like YSU did to SDSU .. and limit their time on field.

Their offense will get some yards and points, and they will try to get our defense gassed in the thin air .. assuming hurry up to not just put us on our heels but prevent substitutions. Got to be ready for this.

NAU D is 91st in the nation in Total D through 4 games.
91 Northern Ariz. 4 282 plays 1713 yards 6.07 ypplay 15 TD allowed 428.3 ypg

They allow offenses to convert 3rd down 42% of the time. #83 in the nation.

They suck against the run.
(Rank) 112 Northern Ariz. 4 181 attempts 960 yards allowed 5.30 ypplay 11 TD Allowed 240.0 ypg

They're not as bad against the pass, but I suspect it's because team's have run at will against them.
(Rank) 36 Northern Ariz. 4 58 101 753 yards allowed 4 TD allowed 7.46 yard/att 12.98 yard/comp 188.3 ypg

This game sets up well for us to go there, run the ball down their throats because they are indifferent to run D, control the TOP, and keep their offense off the field. The name of this game should be ball control and ball protection. Do that and we should leave Arizona 5-0.

ChiRedbirdfan

TreRoberson4Heisman said:
A lot of great Missouri Valley Football lined up this week.

No. 2 North Dakota State @ Indiana State
12:00 PM ESPN3 Memorial Stadium, Terre Haute, IN

No. 3 Youngstown State @ No. 6 South Dakota
2:00 PM ESPN3 DakotaDome, Vermillion, SD

No. 18 Western Illinois @ No. 21 Northern Iowa
4:00 PM ESPN3 UNI-Dome, Cedar Falls, IA 42 tickets

Southern Illinois @ No. 9 South Dakota State
6:00 PM ESPN3 Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium, Brookings, SD

No. 7 Illinois State @ Northern Arizona
6:00 PM Pluto TV Walkup Stadium, Flagstaff, AZ

NDSU and the Birds will take care of business on the road. I am all-in on South Dakota...I believe they will continue to make statements and beat YSU by over 10 (bold prediction). I like UNI at home in a close one. Lastly, SDSU will take care of business at home.

What's everyone thinking about in regards to YSU and South Dakota?

The YSU vs South Dakota game is real interesting. Appears that both YSU and USD are much better than most thought at preseason. I think you have to pick USD since they are at home. If this game was at YSU I would pick YSU.

fourthandshort

YSUs ability to defend and run the ball, unlike what I thought WIU could have done better, should help their chances a lot in this kind of match up. But can no longer assume USD is not a top tier team.

Chi-bird

It's early, but the baffling thing about USD is just how fast they seemingly have gone from being a bad/doomat team to a being a top team in the conference.

StLRedbird

I think that there's a fair chance that Youngstown exposes USD this Sat. Maybe it's just wishful thinking hoping that yet another top ten program has not suddenly appeared in the conference.

fourthandshort

Chi-bird said:
It's early, but the baffling thing about USD is just how fast they seemingly have gone from being a bad/doomat team to a being a top team in the conference.

offense is not too surprising .. they were potent but inconsistent a year ago. defense is surprising .. much improved, very opportunistic, and they play very fast up front, but are vulnerable in secondary. They use a shock and awe game plan to start every game ... come out very fast on both sides of ball. Their 1st half is usually much more dominant than their 2nd half. So if someone can come out and control the ball on offense and not get over-run early .. they will have a shot at waering them down and winning in 2nd half.

Here is their quarterly scoring. Thdy've outscored their opponents 132 to 22 in 1st half, then tails off to 63 to 52 in 2nd half. Part of that could be them putting game on ice ... but doubt they are doing that until Q4.

Quarterly 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Total
South Dakota 73 59 35 28 195
Opponents 3 19 28 24 74
Qtrly Margin 70 40 7 4 121

Kind of jumps off the page when displayed like above. They had WIU on their heels the entire 1st qtr. ISU can NOT start too conservative against USD. Got to be aggressive and smart out of the gate .. careful probably won't cut it against team like that. And you can bet they don't play well when table is turned on them ... that is their game plan in Q1 .. shock and awe.

fourthandshort

North Dakota State at Indiana State .. InSU has strong run defense, playing at home, with 20 mph winds (S, SW) that will affect passing attack. So I can see NDSU struggling a bit, but eventually pull away by 3 TDs.

Youngstown State at South Dakota .. toughest pick of week; Youngstown will try to do to USD, same as they did to SDSU ... control the clock. USD likes to come out very fast and aggressive. If YSU can contain them in Q1, they should win game. QB Streveler will have a chance to prove himself against an elite defense .. if YSU offense let's him on field.

Western Illinois at Northern Iowa .. 2nd toughest pick because I have no idea if UNI is back on track. So going with WIU .. they took a beating 1st half against USD, and fought back. WIU in close one.

Southern Illinois at South Dakota State .. should be a game for SDSU to break out a bit. SDSU by 2-3 TDs.

Illinois State at Northern Arizona ... Spack and team not happy with last weeks game. Too much defense versus too little defense. ISUr will slow the game down on offense to help their defense in the thin air ... ISU by 2 TDs.

Weather forecast for Flagstaff .. will be 70 degrees at kickoff dropping to mid 50's by end of game. Sunny & clear day, with 6-7 mph winds. Elevation is 6900 feet.

Seeing Red

Game will be played in a dome. Weather will be a non factor "other than elevation", if that.

ISUBU

Chi-bird said:

I think you could see the progression from bad to middle of the pack. But I think the QB transfer elevated everything and he's been dominating at times - that is the surprise.

MadBird

ISUBU said:
Chi-bird said:

I think you could see the progression from bad to middle of the pack. But I think the QB transfer elevated everything and he's been dominating at times - that is the surprise.

I don't necessarily disagree with this, based on his performance, but it's odd, given that he couldn't find the field at Minnesota. Well, maybe odd's not the word. Whatever, good for him, an example of a transfer that worked out for the kid, getting the chance to play QB he was looking for.

fourthandshort

MadBird said:
ISUBU said:
Chi-bird said:

I don't necessarily disagree with this, based on his performance, but it's odd, given that he couldn't find the field at Minnesota. Well, maybe odd's not the word. Whatever, good for him, an example of a transfer that worked out for the kid, getting the chance to play QB he was looking for.
He's not that fast and is not a pure thrower by any means .. he just sees field real well and then can run and throw well enough to keep defenses off balance.

StLRedbird

Spoke with an oldtimer at the Sedona turist info center. Some of his comments about NAU...

"They aren't any good this year."
"We haven't played good football for years."
"Who are you rooting for?" Illinois State "You guys any good?" There are some pretty high hopes for the team "You should win."

And after getting back to discussing the hiking trails and "vortexes"...
"Well I'll be paying particular attention to the game this week."

I'm ready for some football !