MVFC Week #2 Slate

TreRoberson4Heisman

8-1 on picks last week. A lot of good action in week 2.

Indiana State at Tennessee, 4 pm ET (Pick - Tennessee)
Knoxville, Tenn. • SEC Network

Missouri State at #11 North Dakota, 4 pm CT (Pick - North Dakota)
Grand Forks, N.D. • MidcoSN

#2 NDSU at #6 Eastern Washington, 3 pm CT (Toss-up...going with NDSU)
Cheney, Wash. • NBC ND/ESPN3

Cal Poly at #21 UNI, 4 pm CT (Pick - UNI)
Cedar Falls, Iowa • PSN/ESPN3

South Dakota at Bowling Green, 5 pm CT (SD beat Drake by 70. Are they on to something? Toss-up but like BGSU here)
Bowling Green, Ohio • ESPN3

#4 S. Dakota St. at Montana State, 7 pm CT (SDSU lock)
Bozeman, Mont. • PlutoTV

Mississippi Valley St. at S. Illinois, 6 pm CT (Pick - SIU)
Carbondale, Ill. • ESPN3

#22 Western Illinois at N. Arizona, 6 pm CT (Toss-up...taking NAU in a close one)
Flagstaff, Ariz. • PlutoTV

Robert Morris at #6 Youngstown State, 2 pm ET (YSU lock)
Youngstown, Ohio • ESPN3

SteveO

The NAU game would have been nice to watch to get a feel for them but Pluto TV is not in my package. EIU at NIU is a good one as well to scout them before next week's game. The ESPN Predictor has NIU at 83%. They will be pretty beat up I think going into the game with ISU. NIU will not be happy after their loss this past week. Your thoughts on the score of that one?

TreRoberson4Heisman

SteveO said:
The NAU game would have been nice to watch to get a feel for them but Pluto TV is not in my package. EIU at NIU is a good one as well to scout them before next week's game. The ESPN Predictor has NIU at 83%. They will be pretty beat up I think going into the game with ISU. NIU will not be happy after their loss this past week. Your thoughts on the score of that one?

Let's hope Northern Illinois is more physical and fired up here. Could really do some damage on Eastern. I like NIU by a comfortable amount.

fourthandshort

Most interesting game to me is WIU at NAU .. got to scout that game real close. We have NAU on road in week 5 and WIU at home in week 9

The whole MVFC versus Big Sky peaks this week .. 5 games, with just 1 at home and 4 on road .. nonetheless, MVFC wins 4 of 5.

Here are my picks and keys:

- Indiana State at Tennessee: Tenn is lock

- Missouri State at #11 North Dakota .. North Dakota is over-rated, and they lost 7 starters on defense, which was their strength last year. I think MoST gives them all they can handle, but UND will win a high scoring game by 10 points.

- #2 NDSU at #6 Eastern Washington ... EWU may have moe trouble adpating their roster to their new conservative minded coaching staff. They lost 56-10 to TX Tech, and their run/pass split was 50/50, even though they averaged an anemic 2.3 ypc running the ball. How do you throw same # of passes and runs while losing 56-10 .. this is not teh EWU that has been dominating the Big Sky the last 7 years. But NDSU has had several key injuries, so they won't be full strength. But NDSU defense is still better than TX Tech .. EWU better have differnt game plan thi sweek, or they will lose big in Fargo. NDSU wins by 10-14 on road.

- Cal Poly at #21 UNI - lot of new coaches plus pocket QB who threw 3 picks last week in 18 point loss to Iowa St. Cal Poly offense lost 6 starters. UNI defense is good. UNI wins at home by at least 14 assuming QB Dunne settles down. He has good arm.

- South Dakota at Bowling Green - no idea on this one. USD is all offense and highly suspect defense. Bowling Green is pretty weak. USD may catch the by surprise in high scoring game and win a close one. USD by 3 in high scoring game.

- #4 S. Dakota St. at Montana State - SDSU has too much fire power on offense and will win by at least 2 TDs.

- Mississippi Valley St. at S. Illinois - SIU is my dark horse team in MVFC - they will win by at least 7 TDs

- #22 Western Illinois at N. Arizona - WIU is my pick for 4th in MVFC - their commitment ro run game and defense should help them beat NAU in high scoring game. NAU QB is very good and game in at NAU at high elevation. WIU must control the clock or their defense will be worn down in the thin air. WIU by 7 in high scoring game.

- Robert Morris at #6 Youngstown State - YSU was surprisingly competitive against a good Pitt team. YSU plays NEC teams a lot and will NOT run up the score. So while YSU i 7 or 8 TDs better, they will probably only win by 5 TDs. Plus YSU lost a lot off that defense.

ChiRedbirdfan

WIU seems to be getting some love in the rankings and press and I find that interesting given the year over year roster changes. Last year their offense was good but they lost some decent impact players, especially at wide receiver. So one could argue their offense may not be as good. Additionally, last year their defense was weak yet they bring most of the same players back, is that a good thing or a bad thing? It will be interesting to see how WIU performs given the loss of key offensive players combined with bringing back a poor performing defense.

Redbird78

SteveO said:
Don't give up just yet. Pluto tv is generally available on roku, chromecast, smarttv's, etc. This game may be, also??? Anybody know for sure about this game?

SteveO

Hey Redbird78, you are on it! I just added Pluto TV to my Roku and sure enough, there is NAU playing on station 230 on the Big Sky Conference channel. They are doing a replay from 2016 where they got whooped. It was free to add it, FYI. I assume the game will be on this channel when ISU plays them.

Redbird78

SteveO said:
Hey Redbird78, you are on it! I just added Pluto TV to my Roku and sure enough, there is NAU playing on station 230 on the Big Sky Conference channel. They are doing a replay from 2016 where they got whooped. It was free to add it, FYI. I assume the game will be on this channel when ISU plays them.

Let's hope so! :D

ISUBU

NDSU outclassed Eastern Washington. EWU will have to drop down in the polls.

UNI was handling Cal Poly until they collapsed and allowed two late TDs. UNI won in OT.

But you gotta pick Chris Streveler of South Dakota as national offensive player of the week. He is having a monster game against Bowling Green.

cpacmel

ISUBU said:
But you gotta pick Chris Streveler of South Dakota as national offensive player of the week. He is having a monster game against Bowling Green.

South Dakota beat Bowling Green 35-27.

I wonder what this guy thinks of that:

http://www.bgsufalcons.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6510

ChiRedbirdfan

cpacmel said:
ISUBU said:

what is the story behind your question?

Sanantoniobird

ChiRedbirdfan said:
cpacmel said:
ISUBU said:

I believe we offered him as well, and some FBS schools came in late on him.

cpacmel

Sanantoniobird said:
ChiRedbirdfan said:
cpacmel said:

I believe we offered him as well, and some FBS schools came in late on him.

Not just offered him, he was committed to us. He flipped very late for FBS Bowling Green. The greener pastures couldn't take down FCS South Dakota. :whistle:

fourthandshort

Big week for MVFC ... kudos to USD in particular .. which I picked !! Surprised SDSU had hard time putting Mont ST away. Otherwise it went as expected ... figured NDSU could easily handle EWU but not that easy. We went 4-1 against Big sky despite playing 4 of 5 on road.