MVFC Standings going into Week 5

Birdswin

The decision that won UNI the game - all I could think about was, there is no way this happens with the Redbirds.

8:52 to go in the 4th quarter, UNI was up 30-27 - it is 4th and 1 at their OWN 39 yd line. Is there any doubt in anybody's mind what the Redbirds would do?? UNI goes for it - YSU jumps offsides - two plays later - TD and up 37-27. That was the difference in the game. Yes, for the folks who did not watch - would say the final was 44-41. But when YSU scored to make it 37-34 - they did an onsides kickoff - that UNI took on the first bounce and returned to the 15 yd line - then punched it in. The decision that made the difference was the 4th and 1 on their own 39 yd line.

Total Red

Staff member
The decision that won UNI the game - all I could think about was, there is no way this happens with the Redbirds.

8:52 to go in the 4th quarter, UNI was up 30-27 - it is 4th and 1 at their OWN 39 yd line. Is there any doubt in anybody's mind what the Redbirds would do?? UNI goes for it - YSU jumps offsides - two plays later - TD and up 37-27. That was the difference in the game. Yes, for the folks who did not watch - would say the final was 44-41. But when YSU scored to make it 37-34 - they did an onsides kickoff - that UNI took on the first bounce and returned to the 15 yd line - then punched it in. The decision that made the difference was the 4th and 1 on their own 39 yd line.
UNI made a good decision to go for it on 4th and 1 because it was a higher scoring game. If you've had trouble stopping the other team, then you know it's going to get even tougher when they start using all 4 downs. You might as well beat them to the punch and go for it yourself. Especially if it's only 1 yard.
If the score was 16-13 instead of 30-27, then I would punt the ball. In the 4th Q you want your better unit (offense or defense) in a favorable position to win the game for you.

Top Bottom