MVFC home stretch .. holy crap

fourthandshort

Take a picture right now of the MVFC standings because 3 weeks from now, who knows what it will look like. Here are the final schedule for the top 4 nationally ranked teams .. talk about facing murderers row .. for all 4 teams.

1. NDSU (8-0, 5-0) .. @ SDSU, USD, @ ISUr .. 2 road games, and USD wanting to prove something

2. USD (7-1, 4-1) ... @ UNI, @ NDSU, SDSU .. 2 road games, and a resurgent SDSU

3. ISUr (6-2, 4-1) ... WIU, @ SDSU, NDSU ... only need 1 win for 7-4 record and playoff

4. SDSU (6-2, 3-2) ... NDSU, ISUr, @ USD ... only need 1 win for 7-4 record and playoff

then lightens up a lot for next 3 teams - with obvious inference being the teams below already played toughest part of schedule .. which is why they are below ... for now:

5. WIU (5-3, 2-3) ... @ ISUr, @ ISUb, SIU .. could easily go 2-1, so 7-4 and playoffs is realistic

6. UNI (4-4, 3-2) ... USD, @ MoST, ISUb .. could easily go 2-1, maybe 3-0 with USD at home; so 6-5 or 7-4 ... could catch SDSU in conference race

7. YSU (3-5, 1-4) ... @ ISUb, @ SIU, MoST .. could go 3-0 to finish 6-5 and 4-4; so 6-5 is real possibility .. with just 1 bad loss and played a very tough schedule to go 6-5

If not for YSU losing 4 tough close games and implosion against us, we would have 7 teams competing for playoffs this season. But looks like 6 will compete .. so 5 will get in, but 6 is possible .. though top 4 has hellacious schedule compared to next 3. .. so who knows how this will go from here .. injuries, lucky bounces, and rising to challenge .. stay tuned !!

DannyCooksey

Wow

This is such a great league. So many tough teams. Glad we are one of the best year in and year out.

StLRedbird

I think we might have the best remaining schedule of the top 4.

redbirddad10

What a great conference. Really can't see how moving to FBS would put ISU in a position to have similarly meaningful games to end the season and looking forward to a National Championship race??? How exciting is this time of year for the majority of the MAC? Hopefully ISU and local Football fans will begin to appreciate the quality football being played in their backyard.

ThisIsTheLineup

Watching the NDSU/SDSU game...I feel like I am watching an SEC match right now.

I know I am stating the obvious...but these games are going to be tough...

crazzymark

win out or no post season...what a bad 3 qts of football....looked like drake out there!!!!

cpacmel

crazzymark said:
win out or no post season...

Um No.

2 games to play, we control our destiny for conference championship.
The road is tough though. Time to step up or we'll be watching the playoffs on tv this year.

jackedforlife

Jackrabbit fan here, new to the board. Curious how many Redbird fans will be making the trip. I'd be happy to share any info you may be interested in for the game and/or Brookings or the surround SD area.

Looking forward to a great matchup on Saturday where both teams are fighting for something. It's great to have meaningful games in November.

ChiRedbirdfan

cpacmel said:
crazzymark said:

Um No.

The road is tough though. Time to step up or we'll be watching the playoffs on tv this year.

Win one game and high probability ISU is in....that said if ISU gets blown out again and barely wins one of these last two games then things could still be a little dicey at 7-4 (all four losses would have been by sizable margins).

fourthandshort

ChiRedbirdfan said:
cpacmel said:
crazzymark said:

Um No.

Win one game and high probability ISU is in....that said if ISU gets blown out again and barely wins one of these last two games then things could still be a little dicey at 7-4 (all four losses would have been by sizable margins).

unfortunately agree with this after last weekend. Our loss to WIU and UNI win over USD, both of which have 2 easy games left .. pushed us to back of playoff bus (5th or 6th) with 2 very tough games left.

WIU will likely finish 8-3 or 7-4 .. playing at InSU and then home SIU .. with a win over us if we were to tie.

UNI will likely finish 7-4 .. playing at MoST and then home against InSU .. good news there is best they can do in MVFC is 4-4 to our 5-3, assuming we win 1 of 2. Bad news is our OOC loss to NAU was worse margin than their 3 point loss to SUU. They also have an FBS loss, so that hurts us with no FBS loss and same 7-4 record. So call it a toss up since we didn't play each other.

Both SDSU and USD are 7-2, and play just as tough final 2 as us and NDSU.

USD loses both and we win one, we should get in over USD

SDSU loses both and we win one (over SDSU), we should get in over SDSU.

Ironically, we could lose to SDSU and beat NDSU, and still not get in .. if other games go against or chances .. WIU, UNI, SDSU, USD .. if perfect storm there, we could be out even if we beat NDSU to finish 7-4 .. because we could be viewed as 6th best team after NDSU, SDSU, USD, WIU, UNI .. unless FCS picks 6 MVFC teams for first time ever.

So right now, we have to win at least 1 of 2, and then hope UNI loses at an improving MoST this weekend .. not likely, but it has trap game potential. This puts us in solidly as 5th best MVFC team or better. That is only game with realistic upset potential.

Otherwise, USD or SDSU have to lose twice ... which could happen given who they play. Brutal final 3 weeks for NDSU, SDSU, USD, and ISU .. just brutal .. I hope FCS selection committee takes notice.

https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=85697&s=295489

cpacmel

Sorry fellas, but any win should gets us in. Doesn't matter what the loss is or by how much. Go back and look at history and tell me how many MVFC with 7 D1 wins and 5-3 in conference that didn't get in. Especially since the playoffs expanded in 2013.

Win them both and we are most likely a seed. I vote for that! :dance:

fourthandshort

cpacmel said:
Sorry fellas, but any win should gets us in. Doesn't matter what the loss is or by how much. Go back and look at history and tell me how many MVFC with 7 D1 wins and 5-3 in conference that didn't get in. Especially since the playoffs expanded in 2013.

Win them both and we are most likely a seed. I vote for that! :dance:

normally agree, except we would be 7-4 without an FBS loss, and probably viewed as 5th or even 6th best MVFC team .. UNI at 7-4 with an FBS loss might be viewed as being 7-3 FCS to our 7-4 FCS. Going to be hard to win both .. so assume we win 1 of 2 .. then it gets very hard to pass SDSU, USD, or WIU .. which means we would be viewed as 5th best right along with UNI.

I have said since about week 4, MVFC looked strong enough to get 6 this year .. but that is a stretch.

Hope your right mel .. looking 50/50 .. maybe 60/40 right now to be 5th best team with just 1 win .. assuming UNI is also 7-4 .. should help if UNI struggles to win at MoST.

But if we both go 1-1 .. agree we're a lock as undisputed 5th best team.

p.s. They picked us 5th ?!? :x

cpacmel

fourthandshort said:
normally agree, except we would be 7-4 without an FBS loss, and probably viewed as 5th or even 6th best MVFC team .. UNI at 7-4 with an FBS loss might be viewed as being 7-3 FCS to our 7-4 FCS. Going to be hard to win both .. so assume we win 1 of 2 .. then it gets very hard to pass SDSU, USD, or WIU .. which means we would be viewed as 5th best right along with UNI.

I have said since about week 4, MVFC looked strong enough to get 6 this year .. but that is a stretch.

Hope your right mel .. looking 50/50 .. maybe 60/40 right now to be 5th best team with just 1 win .. assuming UNI is also 7-4 .. should help if UNI struggles to win at MoST.

Hey 4th where is it written in the selection manual :techie-reference: that they can only take 5 from any one conference? :p

ChiRedbirdfan

fourthandshort said:

If both UNI and South Dakota win their last two games and we go 1-1 I could understand a reasonable argument, especially if we take a serious
beat down one more time, that we are 6th best MVFC team behind:
SDSU, NDSU, WIU, SD and UNI.

fourthandshort

cpacmel said:
fourthandshort said:

Hey 4th where is it written in the selection manual :techie-reference: that they can only take 5 from any one conference? :p

please don't get me started .... but if ISU and UNI are both 7-4, there ought to be serious consideration for 6 MVFC teams .. this year more than any.

Problem is CAA looks deeper this year .. not better, but deeper. And Big Sky has been so up and down, they've got too many teams flirtingi wth playoff consideration, except with no truly very good teams.

fourthandshort

ChiRedbirdfan said:
fourthandshort said:

If both UNI and South Dakota win their last two games and we go 1-1 I could understand a reasonable argument, especially if we take a serious

chirbfan .. my last scenario was if ISU and UNI both go 1-1 .. which would mean UNI is 6-5 to our 7-4 .. then I think we are clear #5, and should be a lock for playoff.

ChiRedbirdfan

fourthandshort said:
ChiRedbirdfan said:
fourthandshort said:

chirbfan .. my last scenario was if ISU and UNI both go 1-1 .. which would mean UNI is 6-5 to our 7-4 .. then I think we are clear #5, and should be a lock for playoff.

Got it now and agree.

fourthandshort

ChiRedbirdfan said:
fourthandshort said:
ChiRedbirdfan said:

Got it now and agree.

then so it shall be .. I will advise the FCS selection committee of our decision :)

Top Bottom