MVFC had a tough night

ISUBU

0-4

SDSU outgained Minnesota, but mistakes (interception returned for a TD, and a 4th quarter fumble leading to a TD) did them in. Even with sloppy play, this was the best showing of the night for the conference, by far.

WIU never led in losing to North Alabama who is transitioning up from Division II.

SIU and Missouri State were soundly defeated by SEMO and Northern Arizona.

fourthandshort

yep .. but SDSU was impressive .. they competed very well and Minnesota is a decent big 10 team.

WIU game was not a good sign for them .. knew they would slip this year, but UNA is coming off a very weak season last year, though was a dominant D-II program in recent years.

Bottom of MVFC could have rough season.

MadBird

I'm in Minnesota and the local sports talkers are working over the Gophers and Row the Boat Fleck this morning. Fleck has been talking up the Gophers (as you would expect him to) but they aren't getting a lot of love from the pre-season predicters. Struggling at home to take the Jackbunnies isn't going over too good, needless to say. Minny goes on the road to Fresno State next.

Chi-bird

A tough night, indeed. That also might be Western's worst non-conference loss since:
https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=312600142

Sanantoniobird

Chi-bird said:
A tough night, indeed. That also might be Western's worst non-conference loss since:
https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=312600142

Lest I remind you, NIU owned us 52-0 or something last time we played.

bad night for MVFC, SeMO is a ranked team, tho so not the worst loss. The UNA loss. Probably shouldn't have happened, however they are going to be good. I'd say they were showing flashes last year. I don't know if it will be this year, but they are going to be a consistent contender in their conference.

Total Red

Staff member
Sanantoniobird said:
Lest I remind you, NIU owned us 52-0 or something last time we played.

I'm not real sure about the relevance of a game played 19 years ago but if we want to talk about historical games up north I can tell you that the Redbirds traveled to Dekalb back in 1980 and shocked NIU 28-18. Shocking because Illinois State came into the game with a 1-4 record and it was the only road win of the entire Coach Cowdrey era 1977-1980. I was a senior at Illinois State at the time. I also had a super-senior semester in Fall '81 as I tried valiantly to avoid graduation but despite my efforts to the contrary I finally accumulated 120 credit hours and was rudely booted out into the real world. IIRC, I posted an analysis of the victory on a chalkboard in Schroeder Hall (pre-internet and all) for all to see when they arrived in class on Monday morning only to have it quickly wiped away by a lowly TA. I vowed then and there to make it my life's mission to find a computerized message board that would allow for the unfettered discussion of Redbird Football for one and all. #livingthedream

redbirdfan04

I am not sure about the Western game but the other games the MVFC teams were not favored. I am a bet shocked that Western lost but they lost a bunch of players from last year and I did not watch the game. SDST deserves a ton of credit and they are going to be tough this year. I don't see any mention of Youngstown. They rolled Samford from the Southern Conference. That is a solid team and a top end FCS conference.

fourthandshort

Right now, it woud appear the top 6 or 7 MVFC teams will be very competitive top 20/25 teams: NDSU, SDSU, ISUr, UNI, ISUb, and looks like YSU (if they stay healthy and Pelini doesn't blow a gasket).

USD is on the fence after slipping to 4-7 last year.

But the bottom 3 could struggle: WIU, MoST, SIU. Though WIU always seems to be competitive on some level.

BirdFan10

Northern Iowa playing Iowa State tough. Up 3 but Iowa State in the red zone in the 4th Q

Adunk33

Staff member
BirdFan10 said:
Northern Iowa playing Iowa State tough. Up 3 but Iowa State in the red zone in the 4th Q

KU and Indiana State are close in the 4th, too.

fourthandshort

ISUb hanging tough too, though against much weaker FBS than UNI is playing....ISUb has 80 more yards and 4 more 1st downs against Kansas , but down 6 late.

And as I type, they just recovered a fumble and return for TD ... ISUb is now up 17-16 with 4 mons left in game

Hamdonger

Total Red said:
I'm not real sure about the relevance of a game played 19 years ago but if we want to talk about historical games up north I can tell you that the Redbirds traveled to Dekalb back in 1980 and shocked NIU 28-18. Shocking because Illinois State came into the game with a 1-4 record and it was the only road win of the entire Coach Cowdrey era 1977-1980. I was a senior at Illinois State at the time. I also had a super-senior semester in Fall '81 as I tried valiantly to avoid graduation but despite my efforts to the contrary I finally accumulated 120 credit hours and was rudely booted out into the real world. IIRC, I posted an analysis of the victory on a chalkboard in Schroeder Hall (pre-internet and all) for all to see when they arrived in class on Monday morning only to have it quickly wiped away by a lowly TA. I vowed then and there to make it my life's mission to find a computerized message board that would allow for the unfettered discussion of Redbird Football for one and all. #livingthedream

Rock. And. Roll. :clap:

Top Bottom