MVFC All-Conference

Total Red

Staff member
https://valley-football.org/documents/2018/11/25//2018_All_Conference_Teams.pdf?id=59

The 2018 Valley All-conference football teams have been announced.

Robinson and Schnell were 1st team selections. Those were obvious. Luther Kirk was a bit of a surprise as a 1st selection at Safety but 5 INT's will do that. Some of our fans want more sacks but you can't have everything and our defense did what it was designed to do this season. It contained dual-threat QB's and forced them to pass. You have to judge the overall results. We got a lot of INT's and the defense was very good particularly for a young unit.

The 2nd team selections - Himmelman OL and Taylor CB will be cornerstones of the 2019 Redbirds.

We scored really well on the All-Newcomers squad with Davis QB, Edgar WR, Megginson OL, McKnight DE and Ridgeway NT.

I was surprised that Brees - S and Matthews-LB didn't get at least Honorable Mention. I didn't think there was that much difference between Kirk (1st team) and Brees (without recognition). I know those things are hard to judge because when a receiver goes uncovered for a TD we don't always know who missed an assignment (if anyone) but anyone present at the Youngstown St. finale would know that Brees played like a very talented veteran that day with some perfectly timed hits to break up passes and a well anticipated INT.

With Zack Matthews going unrecognized (which doesn't sit well with me) we were shut out at the LB'er position and that's a cause for concern. Matthews was our best and he's done. Matthews had 90 tackles (46 solo). After that it's a large dropoff to DeForest at 51. Clark is right behind him at 50 but we also substituted freely. If you add Clark and Kelly-Martin together the Sam LB'er position combined for 80 tackes and 13.0 TFL's. LB'er will be a position to watch closely in the spring as the defense attempts to go from good to great.

JHBird

Matthews was awesome this year. To me he kinda came out of nowhere. Maybe that's what hurt him in the 'voting', being a senior who wasn't heard from much in his previous years, etc.

fourthandshort

The Matthews omission is the most glaring ... ISU was clearly the 2nd best defense in MVFC and just a smidge behind NDSU almost every significant team defense statistic. And did so against a very similar SOS in and out of conference. Matthews possibly benefited the most from our defensive schemes and overall strength.

LB Matthews finished 9th overall in tackles and 6th for LBers. But he was the leading tackler on the 2nd best defense in MVFC. Which means our defense got less tackles because they got off field sooner. Case in point ... 5 tacklers ahead of Matthews played for MoST and ISUB ... who's team defenses ranked 8th and 9th in MVFC. Contrast that with NDSU ... their leading tackler ranked just 21st in tackles .. that's what happens on good defenses ... granted with help from good offenses.

Note, we were also arguable top 10 in country considering our FCS national rankings and the very soft schedules (i.e. conferences) of most teams ranked ahead of us.

Here is ISU defense team rankings for various defensive and offensive statistics .. we're 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in most categories:

- scoring defense .. 2nd
- total defense .. 2nd in yards per game, 1st in yards per play
- run defense ... 2nd in ypg and ypp
- pass defense .. 1st in ypg and QBR %
- Opp 1st down defense .. 2nd
- Opp 3rd down conversion .. 3rd
- Opp 4th down coversion ... 2nd
- Picks ... 3rd
- Fumbles ... ugh, last .. this one surprised me a lot
- Sacks .... ugh, last
- Red Zone defense .. 3rd in % scores, 2nd in # of times

http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/team.pdf.

So I'm adding fumbles recovered to my list of concerns, along side sacks. Not sure what to make of how good we were on defense this season, especially after losing 9 starters from a year ago ... and we are getting picks, which mitigates my concern over sack figure. But now wondering if there is something in our schemes and containment philosophy, that lends its to players focused on staying home and tackling ... so we're not getting lot of sacks or fumbles, but we are still getting picks and TFLs, and stifling teams everywhere else on defense.

Really feels like this is intentional by Spack ... and I don't mind the tradeoff. But it would sure be nice to get a few more sacks and forced fumbles ... but I also don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. Look at what our defense did ... in first year after losing 9 defensive starters off a very good 2017 defense ... 9 defensive starters gone !!!!!! Only Brees and Harris returned. Swaine was injured most of last year.

I love our defense ... just feels like Spack is evolving, and I'll take the tradeoffs if I'm reading it right.

Did I just digress yet again ??? Man this offseason is going to be long one.

Total Red

Staff member
Great post fourth. I would have just said that Matthews was our leading tackler and the defense was good. You put the meat on those bones. :clap:

fourthandshort

Total Red said:
Great post fourth. I would have just said that Matthews was our leading tackler and the defense was good. You put the meat on those bones. :clap:
thanks TR ... you keep making insightful football strategy posts, I'll keep combing stats trying to rationalize what happened or might happen.

fair warning to all .... early offseason ( :evil: ) = longer offseason ( :think: ) = longer posts from a disgruntled/bored poster ( :geek: )

Top Bottom