MVC Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlife

Figured i'd just start a thread for all of this rather than a thread for each transfer.

https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/1108080901148151808

Redbird28

Smits was a big body, but this one, well, this one is a big loss for Valpo. This kid played with a serious motor.

Manchester Matt

He wanted out before he got there from what I heard.

He will end up at a bigger program, I’m sure.

Bird Friend

More to come from Valpo . . . or should I say more to leave?

https://twitter.com/Pg_Benson/status/1108085671212797952

ricohill

At least Mo State is bringing in 3 of the top 5 players in the state of Missouri. Maybe there is a hope that they could be a legitimate basketball team next year because it looks like everyone else is going to struggle again.

Adunk33

Staff member
Freeman is the least surprising transfer in the league. He balled out as a freshman and will play 3 years at a P5. With their loses, I would have Valpo as the early favorite to finish 10th.

When I saw Hughes play as a freshman, he gave me a similar feeling to Ron Baker. Not that he would have the same skill level, but just his overall demeanor, and annoyance. And not annoying in the same way that Chas is to other teams.

Dana Ford is a master recruiter. He has been for a while. Last season, he showed he can alter his coaching style to his player's strengths. Instead of running out in transition every time, they slowed up and lulled defenses to sleep. I'm excited for him and think they will be top 3 in the MVC next year. Dana will likely be CoY.

ricohill

Adunk33 said:
Freeman is the least surprising transfer in the league. He balled out as a freshman and will play 3 years at a P5. With their loses, I would have Valpo as the early favorite to finish 10th.

When I saw Hughes play as a freshman, he gave me a similar feeling to Ron Baker. Not that he would have the same skill level, but just his overall demeanor, and annoyance. And not annoying in the same way that Chas is to other teams.

Dana Ford is a master recruiter. He has been for a while. Last season, he showed he can alter his coaching style to his player's strengths. Instead of running out in transition every time, they slowed up and lulled defenses to sleep. I'm excited for him and think they will be top 3 in the MVC next year. Dana will likely be CoY.

With the recruiting success Dana has had, it really shows how valuable he and Torrey Ward were on the first staff. Also, shows how bad our assistants/Muller have been since losing those guys recruiting high level players.

With the transfers leaving the question I keep asking myself is will the MVC be worse next year?

Loyola loses Custer and Townes (2 of top 3 scorers), Drake loses McGlynn (and possibly Norton if not granted a redshirt, who didn't play in the MVC, but carried them to a bunch of non-conference wins). We lose our big 3 and will likely be worse. SIU loses everyone. Valpo has lost everyone. Evansville and Indiana State are basically fielding glorified intramural teams with Head Coaches that shouldn't be in charge of a mid-level biddy ball program. UNI has one good player.

Sure, Bradley returns most of their team, but they were a tie-breaker away from Thursday at Arch Madness and if not for a lucky 3 day run wouldn't have high expectations going into next year. They also lost to a ton of bad non-conference teams and the entire country will see how bad of a representative the MVC is sending to the NCAA Tournament on Thursday.

It looks like Mo State and Drake are about it next year with possibly Bradley if they are psychologically able to come back from the pain and torture they face this week. Maybe if Loyola's freshman can make an impact. Maybe ISU has a chance if the league bottoms out down to our level??? It doesn't look good on paper for the MVC.

V Boy

When you see good, young players leaving good private universities like Valpo.....which has a pretty solid young head coach.....you know the future for the Missouri Valley Conference is not bright.

And we have one person to thank for this. Doug Elgin. Who allowed the college basketball world to move forward while his league stood still. And now the MoVal is perennially behind other leagues like A10, West Coast that it used to be ahead of/even with.....and now the MoVal is barely even with leagues like the MAC and Ohio Valley.

Elgin could have used Creighton and Wichita to lure other programs INTO the Valley. Instead.....he was beaten soundly to that punch and was left with nothing.

Redbird Alum 2004

ricohill said:
Adunk33 said:

With the recruiting success Dana has had, it really shows how valuable he and Torrey Ward were on the first staff. Also, shows how bad our assistants/Muller have been since losing those guys recruiting high level players.

With the transfers leaving the question I keep asking myself is will the MVC be worse next year?

Loyola loses Custer and Townes (2 of top 3 scorers), Drake loses McGlynn (and possibly Norton if not granted a redshirt, who didn't play in the MVC, but carried them to a bunch of non-conference wins). We lose our big 3 and will likely be worse. SIU loses everyone. Valpo has lost everyone. Evansville and Indiana State are basically fielding glorified intramural teams with Head Coaches that shouldn't be in charge of a mid-level biddy ball program. UNI has one good player.

Sure, Bradley returns most of their team, but they were a tie-breaker away from Thursday at Arch Madness and if not for a lucky 3 day run wouldn't have high expectations going into next year. They also lost to a ton of bad non-conference teams and the entire country will see how bad of a representative the MVC is sending to the NCAA Tournament on Thursday.

It looks like Mo State and Drake are about it next year with possibly Bradley if they are psychologically able to come back from the pain and torture they face this week. Maybe if Loyola's freshman can make an impact. Maybe ISU has a chance if the league bottoms out down to our level??? It doesn't look good on paper for the MVC.

If Sam Cunliffe it's a glorified intramural player then I question how the valley ever won a non conference game. Evansville has several nice transfers coming in but Sam Cunliffe was a top 50 recruit out of high school.

SgtHulka

ricohill said:
Adunk33 said:

And Tom Richardson brought in the nation's 20th ranked recruiting class. What's your point?

ChiRedbirdfan

Nick Robinson of Kenwood/st joes and transfer to valpo is one to watch. Skill wise not all that different than Milik but like Milik a bit challenged but in a better way. Where Milik had negative leadership and preschool bbiq....the difference is that Nick is too nice and at times soft. Nick will put up big numbers in some games, as well as make some highlight plays, but will also disappear in other games. If lottich can get nick to consistently play at a high level or if nick has matured than valpo with have one of the best in the MVC.

Will admit a bit biased as Nick is a kid that my family mentored in high school but nevertheless confident that Nick will be a top or second best player at valpo

TheTruth

V Boy said:
When you see good, young players leaving good private universities like Valpo.....which has a pretty solid young head coach.....you know the future for the Missouri Valley Conference is not bright.

And we have one person to thank for this. Doug Elgin. Who allowed the college basketball world to move forward while his league stood still. And now the MoVal is perennially behind other leagues like A10, West Coast that it used to be ahead of/even with.....and now the MoVal is barely even with leagues like the MAC and Ohio Valley.

Elgin could have used Creighton and Wichita to lure other programs INTO the Valley. Instead.....he was beaten soundly to that punch and was left with nothing.

I understand wanting to dump this on Doug Elgin’s doorstep, but at the end of the day he really only enacts the wills of the university presidents he serves. It’s no secret that too many in positions of power within the MVC value the small footprint over the overall quality of the league. As an Illinois State fan, my beef as not with Elgin, so much as it is with those running Illinois State and their lack of an exit strategy.

Morans14

ricohill said:
Adunk33 said:

Well they don't play games on paper so I'm happy to wait and look forward to the games on the court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ricohill

TheTruth said:
V Boy said:

I understand wanting to dump this on Doug Elgin’s doorstep, but at the end of the day he really only enacts the wills of the university presidents he serves. It’s no secret that too many in positions of power within the MVC value the small footprint over the overall quality of the league. As an Illinois State fan, my beef as not with Elgin, so much as it is with those running Illinois State and their lack of an exit strategy.

The unviersity presidents refused to add any team that schools couldn’t take a bus to the game during expansion. That was the official nail in the coffin for the MVC as a basketball conference. Half the schools in the league don’t even care to be competitive. Look at the $$$.

Also, the MVC is currently losing in the transfer shuffle. The league keeps losing its top players and isn’t getting any great transfers in return. Granted, the level of play has gone down to where Townes can walk in from FDU and win MVP. The days of Champ Oguchi and Rolen Roberts coming to MVC schools looks to be over.

Seven

ricohill said:
TheTruth said:
V Boy said:

The league keeps losing its top players and isn’t getting any great transfers in return. The days of Champ Oguchi and Rolen Roberts coming to MVC schools looks to be over.

Put this statement in front of actual basketball people and it wouldn’t hold up. Milton Doyle was a 5 star recruit. Clayton Custer was a top 100 recruit who led an MVC team to the Final 4. Sam Cunliffe was a top 50 recruit. That’s a terrible take.

PurpleRedbird

Redbird Alum 2004 said:
ricohill said:
Adunk33 said:

If Sam Cunliffe it's a glorified intramural player then I question how the valley ever won a non conference game. Evansville has several nice transfers coming in but Sam Cunliffe was a top 50 recruit out of high school.

You beat me to it. I see a lot of similarities between UE and the Birds for next year. Lots of players sitting out this year who on paper look like they will contribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom