#4 Evansville - 0-2
#5 Bradley - 0-1
#6 Missouri St - 0-2
#7 Valpo - 0-1
#8 SIU - 1 -2

* End of day 3

Redbird222

Santa Cason said:
The strangest tournament bracket I've ever seen.

Agreed ... not sure why they adopted this format. It does give an advantage to the 1 to 4 seed but the pairings on the third day are strange.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Because it screwed ISU out of an MVC Tournament championship in 2014 when we were in the title game against, maybe WSU? ISU had not lost a game in the tournament, but WSU had come back from losing a game but the championship game was a one game only and we lost the game.

If the tournament was double elimination (which it is now outside of the play in games) then we would have played WSU again as an elimination game.

All NCAA tournament rounds are double elimination, in both softball and baseball. Why shouldn't our conference tournament be that?

Manchester Matt

isuquinndog said:
Because it screwed ISU out of an MVC Tournament championship in 2014 when we were in the title game against, maybe WSU? ISU had not lost a game in the tournament, but WSU had come back from losing a game but the championship game was a one game only and we lost the game.

If the tournament was double elimination (which it is now outside of the play in games) then we would have played WSU again as an elimination game.

All NCAA tournament rounds are double elimination, in both softball and baseball. Why shouldn't our conference tournament be that?

I don’t think anyone is complaining about that.

I’m more looking at the fact that Indiana State or Evansville is likely to lose three games in this tournament before being eliminated.

You can have a normal eight team double-elimination bracket here and it would work fine. This format is goofy.

On a positive, this guy thinks ISU is a lock.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-college-baseball-top-25-chat-52019/

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Santa Cason said:
isuquinndog said:

I don’t think anyone is complaining about that.

I’m more looking at the fact that Indiana State or Evansville is likely to lose three games in this tournament before being eliminated.

You can have a normal eight team double-elimination bracket here and it would work fine. This format is goofy.

On a positive, this guy thinks ISU is a lock.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2019-college-baseball-top-25-chat-52019/
Maybe I'm missing it, but what scenario can one of they lose twice and remain in the tournament?

Manchester Matt

The DBU winner will play the loser of the Evansville/Indiana State game.

If that team loses to DBU, they then drop into the loser’s bracket.

Essentially, both Indiana State and Evansville will advance to the semifinals of the winner’s bracket no matter what their result is against each other.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
They will probably have to play each other a second time if they both win. But one of the teams will have one loss. Maybe I'm missing it but I don't think there is an advantage.

TIMMY

isuquinndog said:
TIMMY said:
We were 3-0 at their place. Any word on our starter?
Bradley was 3-0 vs SIU as well. Think we will have Headrick go?
Then they might have him Saturday.. If he's throwing in 1 game I would consider holding him till tomorrow. Trust the Coach!

jamminjamarsmiley

This is not too unique of a baseball tournament bracket. Most baseball tournaments are either Pool play or double elim. The one thing is that this one had dependencies on the # of teams left based on the w/l results which can get confusing. Ultimately - the point is like Quinn said - someone cant be unscathed into the title game, and lose to a one loss team already and be bounced out. This is more fair to all teams involved. Baseball really hard to do single elim because pitching is such a huge factor. Usually teams with a lot of depth on their pitching staffs have more success.

jamminjamarsmiley

TIMMY said:
isuquinndog said:
TIMMY said:
We were 3-0 at their place. Any word on our starter?
Bradley was 3-0 vs SIU as well. Think we will have Headrick go?
Then they might have him Saturday.. If he's throwing in 1 game I would consider holding him till tomorrow. Trust the Coach!

In these double elim tournaments you always go with your top pitchers - once you lose a game your path gets drastically harder. Some have a mindset of holding guys back for tougher opponents, but that is very risky

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
I wish they would update the bracket as we go.

First Elimination game this morning as Missouri St plays SIU. Loser is out.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
I've updated the top post with tournament records. Red means you're out. So we have six teams left. One elim game at 11 am and a possible one at 3 pm, and then they move games around depending how many teams are left.

Adunk33

Staff member
Here is what the bracket looks like for today. Just included the top half because its the only part that's been effected by play so far. Sorry it's not the prettiest. I don't have the programs on my computer like I used to. If I post future updates, I'll be sure that the font is bigger.

Attachments

• 2019 MVC Baseball Tournament.JPG
    2019 MVC Baseball Tournament.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 2,535
Top Bottom