MVC Preseason Poll

Source

With media day on October 24 for the conference, media members are making their polls public.

Todd Golden- INST Beat Writer- 1- UNI, 2- MSU, 3-LU, 4-SIU, 5-DU, 6-INST, 7-BU, 8-ILST, 9-VU, 10-UE.

Jim Benson- ILST "Beat Writer"- 1-UNI, 2- MSU, 3-ILST, 4- LU, 5-VU, 6-SIU, 7-INST, 8-BU, 9-UE, 10-DU

Todd Hefferman -SIU- 1- MST, 2-UNI, 3-SIU, 4-ILST, 5- LU, 6- VU, 7-BU, 8-INST, 9- UE, 10-DU
(http://thesouthern.com/sports/college/salukimania/hefferman-my-mvc-men-s-basketball-preseason-ballot/article_4675c609-5783-5d1c-9952-565fffb957ec.html)

Pat Hickey- UE- 1-ILST, 2-UNI, 3-MSU, 4-LU, 5-VU, 6-SIU, 7-BU, 8-UE, 9-DU, 10-INST
http://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/college/evansville/2017/10/13/hickey-my-mvc-mens-basketball-preseason-ballot/752343001/

Source's poll: 1-MSU, 2-ILST, 3- LU, 4-UNI, 5-VU, 6-SIU, 7-BU, 8-INST, 9-DU, 10-UE

Edits just to put tweets into text for those without twitter access.

V Boy

I think these guys are underestimating Valpo and possibly overestimating UNI.

Jsnhbe1Birds

Pretty sure Todd took ten darts with a different team on each and blindly threw them at his prediction board.

BIGfan

Indiana State, Drake and Evansville will have trouble breathing underwater. But, ANY of the other teams (yes, including BU) can pull a few rabbits out of their hat. No Shocker steamroller this year... Barring injuries, legal issues and Adidas scandals, this should be an interesting season.

Adunk33

Staff member
BIGfan said:
Indiana State, Drake and Evansville will have trouble breathing underwater. But, ANY of the other teams (yes, including BU) can pull a few rabbits out of their hat. No Shocker steamroller this year... Barring injuries, legal issues and Adidas scandals, this should be an interesting season.
Adidas teams in the MVC: Bradley, Missouri State, and Drake. WATCH OUT!

BIGfan

Redbird Alum 2004 said:
8th?!?!?! Umm he must think we are void of any and all talent.

Todd was confused. He thought it was a ranking of MVC sports writers rather than teams. It would take about three DUIs fir ISU's basketball team to be ranked 8th.

SgtHulka

BIGfan said:
Redbird Alum 2004 said:
8th?!?!?! Umm he must think we are void of any and all talent.

Todd was confused. He thought it was a ranking of MVC sports writers rather than teams. It would take about three DUIs fir ISU's basketball team to be ranked 8th.

Careful what you wish for

Retire 12

He's very, very clueless. I have us at 3rd this year. It'll take time for this team to gel. We did lose a lot... but it's the Valley... and... he thinks with the level of recruiting we're at right now that we're falling all the way to a play-in game?

This guy needs any and all voting privileges taken away from here on out...

Hamdonger

Retire 12 said:
He's very, very clueless. I have us at 3rd this year. It'll take time for this team to gel. We did lose a lot... but it's the Valley... and... he thinks with the level of recruiting we're at right now that we're falling all the way to a play-in game?

This guy needs any and all voting privileges taken away from here on out...

He's in the opinion business. That's all. He's got every freakin right to vote us 8th. But I'll tell ya this. It's bulletin board material for the Redbirds. :clap:

Reality is...we could be pretty good...or not so good. It's one of those big question mark years. I want to believe that the men's basketball culture DEMANDS that we WILL be good. But it's up to our boys in Red and White (or grey, depending) to make up their minds about that. I'm excited to watch these new players, for sure.

Retire 12

We will have the best player on the court in 8 of our 9 matchups (Missouri State being the outlier unless he somehow regresses).

We'll be favored in Vegas in at least 12 or 13 of the 18 games we play this year.

Yeah, that sound like a Play In team.

He has every right to rank us wherever he wants to, but you lose any credibility in your conference you might of had when you produce a ballot like this. Take ISU out of it for a moment... Valpo easily underranked, and UNI way overranked. He's just all over the place with this one.

Bulletin board is right.

V Boy

Think non-conference is going to be very very unkind to our Redbirds. I think it is very possible that we could get blown out badly in some of our first few games.

Nevada is going to be really good. So is Ole Miss. Without Copeland and with Clarance missing basically the entire preseason, our backcourt is going to really struggle at the beginning of the year. We are going to turn the ball over a lot. Evans, Madison and J. Martin are going to be under a lot of pressure. So will Clarance when he gets in there eventually.

Now.....by the time we get about one-third of the way through the conference season.....after our team is used to playing with each other.....I could see our size and athleticism start to cause problems for everyone except Mo St.

I would expect us to be middle of the pack in the Valley with an outside shot of stealing St. Louis if Keyshawn Evans, Clarance and Tinsley can score.

I think the real question is whether Muller and staff will be able to hold this roster together in 2019, when we will be the clear-cut favorite to win the league. This year, we will be like Mo St. was last year. Fun to watch.....capable on any night.....inexperienced and inconsistent enough to drive us crazy. Probably close to .500 in the league.

Here's my picks:

1. Mo St 14-4
2. Loyola 12-6
3. UNI 12-6
4. Valpo 10-8
5. ISU 10-8
6. SIU 9-9
7. Bradley 7-11
8. Indy St 6-12
9. Eville 5-13
10. Drake 5-13

V Boy

Retire 12 said:
We will have the best player on the court in 8 of our 9 matchups (Missouri State being the outlier unless he somehow regresses).

We'll be favored in Vegas in at least 12 or 13 of the 18 games we play this year.

He has every right to rank us wherever he wants to, but you lose any credibility in your conference you might of had when you produce a ballot like this. Take ISU out of it for a moment... Valpo easily underranked, and UNI way overranked. He's just all over the place with this one.

Bulletin board is right.

I think you are potentially over-stating how good Fayne is (based upon what we have seen so far). Is Fayne better than Brenton Scott? Klint Carlson or Wyatt Lohaus? Donte Ingram or Aundre Jackson? Time will tell I guess, but not sure it's that clear-cut right now.

Redbird Alum 2004

V Boy said:
Retire 12 said:

Bulletin board is right.

I think you are potentially over-stating how good Fayne is (based upon what we have seen so far). Is Fayne better than Brenton Scott? Klint Carlson or Wyatt Lohaus? Donte Ingram or Aundre Jackson? Time will tell I guess, but not sure it's that clear-cut right now.

Pretty sure he was talking about MY

Top Bottom