MVC-MWC Challenge to End

Adunk33

Staff member
This is the last year of the challenge.
https://twitter.com/NickSchultz_7/status/1012374091083517952

Nick added that the MVC is searching for other conference challenge options. Here's to hoping for one with the A10.

Redbirdwarrior

While this sucks for schools like ISU and Loyola, I dont think the challenge made much sense to schools in the middle to lower end of each conference. It was a lot of travel expense for someone to fly to Evansville IN from the West Coast in a matchup of teams that might win a combined 30 games.

Sanantoniobird

It was a good match-up, too bad it doesn't really make (dollars and) sense logistically. Evidenced by the ties the last couple of years, and our only "win" coming the very first year we did it, pretty evenly matched.

ISU86

Adunk33 said:
This is the last year of the challenge.
https://twitter.com/NickSchultz_7/status/1012374091083517952

Nick added that the MVC is searching for other conference challenge options. Here's to hoping for one with the A10.
I could see the American Athletic and Mountain West starting one, they are similar in a lot of areas (football based, with all of those schools just waiting to get snapped up by one of the power five conferences).

As far as the Missouri Valley, my guess is the Atlantic 10 would believe themselves to be a cut above the MVC (right or wrong) and trying for a conference more befitting their own perceived stature. I could see the MVC end up pairing with the Colonial Athletic (again, for better or worse).

The issue with many of these conferences (including the MVC), especially given the current selection committee landscape, is there is more flotsam and jetsam than quality in any given season.

Adunk33

Staff member
If we don't get A10, I saw forget the challenge all together. I agree with your point the A10 probably sees themselves above the MVC.

Jsnhbe1Birds

considering the A-10 below the mvc in rpi I don't see how they are that much better. I also agree to forget challenges if the A-10 doesn't want it. Nobody else is worth it except the AAC who will never do it with he MVC

Adunk33

Staff member
Jsnhbe1Birds said:
considering the A-10 below the mvc in rpi I don't see how they are that much better. I also agree to forget challenges if the A-10 doesn't want it. Nobody else is worth it except the AAC who will never do it with he MVC

A10 has sent multiple teams to the NCAAs for a while. MVC is a one bid league for the foreseeable future. I assume that is what the A10 is looking at when they think they are better than the MVC.

AAC would be fun, but you're right, they wouldn't do it. Ever.

Top Bottom