MVC Commissioner announced tomorrow

Adunk33

Staff member
I hope so, I really do. No one would fight harder for this league. They could even bring someone in behind him as a "Commissioner in Waiting" if Barry wants to retire in the next 5 years or so.

I don't think it will be him. Hopefully someone external, though, to bring a fresh view to a seat that's been occupied for like 30 years.

MadBird

Isn't it going to be (should be??) someone with a strong background in marketing, media, blah blah blah? That's what these positions need now. Barry or someone like him could be an assistant or special advisor or. something

Bird Friend

Abbott And Costello Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

Costello: Look, You gotta commissioner for this conference

Abbott: Sure.

Costello: The commissioner's name?

Abbott: Tomorrow.

Costello: You don't want to tell me today?

Abbott: I'm telling you now.

Costello: Then go ahead.

Abbott: Tomorrow!

Costello: What time?

Abbott: What time what?

Costello: What time tomorrow are you gonna tell me who the commissioner is?

Abbott: Now listen. Who is not the commissioner.

Adunk33

Staff member
Two internal names to keep an eye on..

Patty Viverito..current commish for the MVFC. MVFC is by far the best FCS conference but that wasn't good enough. She spearheaded the decision to bring in another National Contender with North Dakota. If we want expansion like we all do (cough, Belmont, cough, Murray State), she could very well be the one to do it.

In a world where communication is the key to everything, don't overlook Mike Kern. Been with the MVC for 30 years, serves as associate commish for MVFC, and oversees media relations for MBB, FB, and Golf.

Could be a situation where Viverito gets the Commissioner's job and Kern gets promoted to Senior Associate Commissioner..

Again, I'd like to see an external hire but these are likely two of the internal names at the top of the list.

jamminjamarsmiley

I am very happy the MVC went external and found someone who lives and breathes basketball and has been around it all his life. I am curious if he has any plans of expanding the league. I know 10 teams is nice, we get to play every team twice, but the bottom half of the league is always garbage. Would be nice to bring in some schools who would improve the strength of the league.

ISU86

Big time basketball background. Like the hire. Elgin was great until the last decade when he let basketball fall off.
Cautiously optimistic. Background reads good, see if it translates to running point. I think Mike Kern or Patty Viverito would have been a "stay the course" hire.

Agree on Elgin, never seemed to find his footing following the Billy Packer blowback circa 2006.

ISU86

I am very happy the MVC went external and found someone who lives and breathes basketball and has been around it all his life. I am curious if he has any plans of expanding the league. I know 10 teams is nice, we get to play every team twice, but the bottom half of the league is always garbage. Would be nice to bring in some schools who would improve the strength of the league.
Isn't the bottom half of any league garbage in comparison to the top half?

Not saying good or bad, but would adding two more teams be an overall plus or minus? Would it be enough to get two teams to the Dance consistently, or does it just mean splitting the pie into two more slices? Other than Belmont and Murray State (maybe Northern Kentucky), who else is reasonably in/near the league footprint worth considering? North Dakota State/South Dakota State perhaps, but that does not seem palatable to many.

If the conference went to twelve, it would probably leverage a two-division scheduling format (so sixteen league games total). That would mean two extra non-conference games to schedule. Would that mean another opportunity to get a P5+BE? Those schools are already increasing their number of league games to reduce playing anyone outside.

jamminjamarsmiley

If we are going to stick to the current MVC footprint than were probably wasting our time. Creighton was not exactly in the big East footprint. Many other examples of recent conference re alignment where teams joined conferences where their travel increased greatly. I said this when mvc added Valpo, but I’d love to see Grand Canyon and New Mexico State. Both take basketball serious and have recent NCAA berths on their resume.

ISU86

If we are going to stick to the current MVC footprint than were probably wasting our time. Creighton was not exactly in the big East footprint. Many other examples of recent conference re alignment where teams joined conferences where their travel increased greatly. I said this when mvc added Valpo, but I’d love to see Grand Canyon and New Mexico State. Both take basketball serious and have recent NCAA berths on their resume.
many outside of P5+BE? NMSU is a former MVC member and they still prefer to find a home that includes FBS football.

TBS_20

They need to do something bold. But they'll have to wait until the big12 raids the aac for Cincy, Houston. Memphis, central Florida. Then maybe the mvc can do what they didn't do in the mid 00's. Go after Dayton, st Louis, get Wichita when the aac fails and add one more like Murray State over Belmont to keep the private public thing happy. If they fail who cares, at least ther tried.

ISU86

They need to do something bold. But they'll have to wait until the big12 raids the aac for Cincy, Houston. Memphis, central Florida. Then maybe the mvc can do what they didn't do in the mid 00's. Go after Dayton, st Louis, get Wichita when the aac fails and add one more like Murray State over Belmont to keep the private public thing happy. If they fail who cares, at least ther tried.
although I don't think that would happen (more likely AAC would look to backfill), the overall net would be good. If nothing else, maybe some CUSA members get dragged to the AAC, and we end up in the CUSA (football becomes D-I and is not in the MAC or Sun Belt).

The AAC is a conference a lot of schools want to get to but no one wants to stay in.

Redbirdfan21

Just out of curiosity, who chooses the new commissioner? Does a search committee find candidates and then all the schools AD’s decide?

Top Bottom