MSU

Redbird82

Not the ladies day, tough to win when you get 3 pts total from Crompton/Wilson. Think Friday took something out of them, still in first ahead of a big weekend next week.

MadBird

Not the ladies day, tough to win when you get 3 pts total from Crompton/Wilson. Think Friday took something out of them, still in first ahead of a big weekend next week.
Easy for me to pick now (altho I've mentioned it other years), but Coach G has played with a short bench almost the whole time she's been here, and most of the time she gets away with it, but gotta believe it caught up with them today. Every starter played 30+ minutes Friday, and 4 played 35 or more. 26 FT makes by MSU today too, that don't help.

Move on, like you say, still in first!

Birdswin

Went to the game today. I do not know whether it is just the way a college women's game goes - but there were numerous very odd calls. High school girls games are called better. A number of the calls were anticipated - not a good job. The strangest call was in the fourth quarter. There was a play in the lane - somewhat congested - the baseline ref called a charge on Mo State - signaled the player's number, which was announced and the players heading down to the other end of the court. The ref out by half-court was just standing and looking towards the ref who made the call. The baseline ref walked up to him - they had a discussion for a minute. Then went to the scorer's table - and changed the call to a blocking foul and gave Mo State two free throws. They did not go to the replay - the ref at half-court was bound and determined to overturn the call - well after the play and well out of position. Very strange.

Redbird78

Went to the game today. I do not know whether it is just the way a college women's game goes - but there were numerous very odd calls. High school girls games are called better. A number of the calls were anticipated - not a good job. The strangest call was in the fourth quarter. There was a play in the lane - somewhat congested - the baseline ref called a charge on Mo State - signaled the player's number, which was announced and the players heading down to the other end of the court. The ref out by half-court was just standing and looking towards the ref who made the call. The baseline ref walked up to him - they had a discussion for a minute. Then went to the scorer's table - and changed the call to a blocking foul and gave Mo State two free throws. They did not go to the replay - the ref at half-court was bound and determined to overturn the call - well after the play and well out of position. Very strange.
I was there also. Ladies were not playing their usual offense today. Was it because of MoSt defense or fatigue or Birdswin’s observation? The officiating was awful (both ways) and definitely a factor. About halfway thru 3rd qtr, I told Mrs. 78 the stripes were way too visible!

Redbird222

Wilson's feet were in the circle so it was changed to a block

Loyl2u

Even before the loss of several bench post players to injury, Birds would have been challenged to deal with the big lineup of MoSt in a half court set. Yet, the birds seemed satisfied to allow the bears to play a walk it up the court & run their offense without harassment game until last couple minutes. Birds have shown the ability to be very effective in transition while the bears clearly wanted to run through the bigs and have rebounders under the basket. Would have liked to see birds extend the defense both full court & half court earlier to try and take the bears out of their comfort zone but recognize the bench limitations that exist and also getting to the point where you may not want to show some things prior to Moline. On to Cedar Falls.

Reggie Redbird

Unfortunately the MVC tournament is the only way a team is going to make the NCAAs this year. We need to make sure we’re as healthy as can be. The loss to UNI, Paige was very ill. This game, Wright-Gaskins had to come off several times. I don’t think that cost is the game today, but I think we beat UNI if Paige is healthy.

We will be better suited for a match-up in Moline that avoids SIU or MSU. We just don’t handle a physical opponent as well. It doesn’t help that we missed many wide open shots. Have to win both next weekend, but it’s possible. Like the men’s team, they’re going to have to bring in a few players to the rotation next year. I think most, if not all, of the medical redshirts will be impact players next year. But we’re going to need some growth from players too.

cubird

3 ball wasn't fallen and they hit fts way above their team average. Wilson's backup Taylor out with injury. I think it was Gaskins that was throwing up between stints of playing. Hopefully, it's not the flu.

Top Bottom