More realignment

TBS_20

USC and UCLA to the B1G.

Now, the PAC...10?... and the Big 12 will merge add Boise and Memphis and form a 24 team super league. That's my guess.

Redbirdfan76

Can’t find this breaking story on ESPN or the LA Times site. Just wondered where you heard/saw this…. Thanks

Yogi

i hope our athletic dept and administration is keeping our options open I dont want us left watching

jwa123

i hope our athletic dept and administration is keeping our options open I dont want us left watching
I agree. I worry, though, our FCS football has been lukewarm the last couple years and basketball has become a perennial Thursday night participant. Hopefully football picks up and Coach Pedon turns basketball around. Otherwise, what conference would want ISU?

redbirds2000

USC and UCLA to the B1G.

Now, the PAC...10?... and the Big 12 will merge add Boise and Memphis and form a 24 team super league. That's my guess.
Big Ten is just getting started. They will go after Notre Dame,Stanford, California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, and Arizona State. SEC counters with going after the ACC. Many current FBS schools will not be a part of the new Football League.

DoubleDeuce

Big Ten is just getting started. They will go after Notre Dame,Stanford, California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, and Arizona State. SEC counters with going after the ACC. Many current FBS schools will not be a part of the new Football League.
And what comes of the big 12? Schools like Iowa State

redbirds2000

And what comes of the big 12? Schools like Iowa State
Those schools (Iowa State) will dominate NCAA football! The Big Ten and SEC will have their own College Football League. The Big Ten is on the verge of a possible $1 billion T.V. contract. And when they get tired of NCAA basketball, that will be next. Give the College Football League 10 years, if not sooner to break off from the NCAA . The Birds better turn it around quickly if they want to play in the NCAA basketball tournament as we know it. Iowa State will be a nice Juco program for the Big Ten and SEC schools.

Yogi

I agree the whole landscape is going to change even more we must be watching and try to do what is best for our birds

Adunk33

Staff member
So, we know most of what informs/drives realignment is football with men's basketball in a somewhat distant second. That said, there is money still to be had with basketball, which leads me to mention the ACC. Many have said it's going to be whatever the new Big10 and SEC are vs everyone else. I could see a world where the ACC holds strong and at least initially we have four "power conferences." Duke and UNC aren't getting left out of whatever the new world looks like and the ACC is one of the most consistent basketball conferences out there.

The fourth? I don't see the PAC folding quite yet. I could see where they stay afloat for now by poaching from the Mountain West (SDSU, Nevada, Colo State, Boise?). Who knows if and how long that would be sustainable. Then the B12 probably gets divided up into the SEC and B10.

Thinking of football, the bottom feeders of the B12 will have to hope they have another redeeming quality that would make them desirable for one of these new power conferences. For example, Kansas football is absolute garbage but their basketball is elite. So, someone would snatch them up. Probably the B10.

For football, I see an initial future of 4 "Power Conferences"- SEC, B10, ACC, PAC (to keep some administrative leadership on the west coast). Schools that don't make it into one of those conferences are now "FCS" level, but the opportunity to get "promoted" is higher since the conferences will always want the hottest ticket-which is why in this pretend new model, I could see NDSU actually moving up.

For basketball, I see 5 "Power Conferences"- SEC, B10, ACC, PAC, and Big East. The BE will bring in Loyola, SLU, and every other school that fits their conferences culture. The new 5 conferences will then lead to an FBS/FCS-like split in basketball. Should it stay together, I think The Valley would be a top tier league in the second division.

I kind of like the idea of promotion and relegation in college sports, especially with this impending divide. It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Adunk33

Staff member
All that said, my PAC theory is probably way off since I'm now seeing Oregon and Washington have applied to the B10....

New Theory! The B1G will absorb most of the PAC and the PAC schools will be the "B10 West" division.

Carry on...

redbirds2000

All that said, my PAC theory is probably way off since I'm now seeing Oregon and Washington have applied to the B10....

New Theory! The B1G will absorb most of the PAC and the PAC schools will be the "B10 West" division.

Carry on...
I think the Big 10 goes after ND, UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Washington, Kansas, and Virginia.

Adunk33

Staff member
I think the Big 10 goes after ND, UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Washington, Kansas, and Virginia.
If the Big10 gets a decent number of PAC schools, I could also see them going after ACC schools to partner up with Rutgers and Maryland. That way you essentially have the B10 West, Central, and East Divisions. B12 goes mostly into the SEC and just like that...you have the SEC vs B10...or in other terms...the AFC VS NFC....

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Wish the NCAA and conferences care about the athletes and the actual competitive sports. Clearly this move by the Big Whatever shows they don't. If they did, they wouldn't make a league where UCLA will have to travel to Rutgers in NJ for a Tuesday night volleyball or soccer match. They going to take red eyes?

Money is the only things that matters in college sports and it's gross.

Top Bottom