Missouri State Bears

Total Red

Staff member
Good to see you're trying to dial down the rhetoric as you requested us all to do in your last post.
There are lots of different ways to enjoy Redbird football. Some people enjoy forecasting doom and calling for the coach to be fired before, during and after the game. They remind me of the fans in golfing galleries that shout "in the hole" as soon as a golfer taps a 20-foot putt. They have no idea if it's going in but they want to be the first to say it in case it happens.

So be the first each week to shout, "fire the coach." Maybe someday it could happen and then you can convince yourself that your 500 posts on the subject had something to do with it.

To each their own and Happy Halloween

Bird Friend

There are lots of different ways to enjoy Redbird football. Some people enjoy forecasting doom and calling for the coach to be fired before, during and after the game. They remind me of the fans in golfing galleries that shout "in the hole" as soon as a golfer taps a 20-foot putt. They have no idea if it's going in but they want to be the first to say it in case it happens.

So be the first each week to shout, "fire the coach." Maybe someday it could happen and then you can convince yourself that your 500 posts on the subject had something to do with it.

To each their own and Happy Halloween
They yell "In the hole!" on tee shots on par 5s, for chrissakes.

fourthandshort

Illinois State +1.5

Over / Under 55.5
I'm sensing a bit of an offensive shootout this week. Massey has us #31 against #55 SOS, and has 3-5 MoST #29 against notably tougher #14 SOS. Our avg score is 32-20, while MoST is 30-31 .. again playing a tougher SOS.

But here's where we have some room for optimism ... their run offense and run defense are below average to weak. And while their pass offense is very good, their pass defense is average at best.

We have the big problems defensively playing against teams that can run and pass, though eventually settling down 2nd half. So our defense should be able to focus more against their pass game, we might do ok getting stops defensively this week. That said, they're pass game is very strong .. and we still have huge breakdowns in coverage at times.

So if I were a betting man, I would bet the over on 55.5 ... great weather will favor both pass games. And spread infers a 29-27 type game. I think both teams could see the 30's. So I like my Redbirds to win a game like 35-31. Annexstad is getting so much more comfortable slinging it .. I just wish we did a little less spreading wide at times. We depend too much on YAC doing that ... though he did find Gandy (11 catches a lot last week. Plus we now have Kasper back. But our WRs are only getting <=10 yds/catch, just like our TE. I wish we would stretch the field long a little more than we do. ... with more mid level passes.

LS - Receiving
PlayerRec.Yds.TDLong
Grandy,Cam11112126
Sobkowicz,Daniel991117
Kasper,Eddie538012
Blakemore,Mason423011
Nelson,Camo215012
Mueller,Cole213011
Totals33292226

Last edited:

Total Red

Staff member
On to Springfield Mo. I know no one wants to hear this right now but the Redbirds are very good for a 4-4 team. Losses this season have been by 1 pt., 19 (#1 team), 3 and 3. Wins have been 41 pts, 16, 31 and 37.
We're due to win a close one. Of course, if the Redbirds choose to blow out MSU that's ok too.

Ball Out Redbirds!

fourthandshort

AGS has MVFC pick 'em contest ... we're up 7-0 so far. Not that this really matters, but .... an outsiders viewpoint.

1698850829090.png

lakesbison

Illinois St should win all 3 games here easily and get into the playoffs

UNI, YSU, SDSU very good wins EIU is bad, but 1 point.

CaliRdBrd

I'm sensing a bit of an offensive shootout this week. Massey has us #31 against #55 SOS, and has 3-5 MoST #29 against notably tougher #14 SOS. Our avg score is 32-20, while MoST is 30-31 .. again playing a tougher SOS.

But here's where we have some room for optimism ... their run offense and run defense are below average to weak. And while their pass offense is very good, their pass defense is average at best.

We have the big problems defensively playing against teams that can run and pass, though eventually settling down 2nd half. So our defense should be able to focus more against their pass game, we might do ok getting stops defensively this week. That said, they're pass game is very strong .. and we still have huge breakdowns in coverage at times.

So if I were a betting man, I would bet the over on 55.5 ... great weather will favor both pass games. And spread infers a 29-27 type game. I think both teams could see the 30's. So I like my Redbirds to win a game like 35-31. Annexstad is getting so much more comfortable slinging it .. I just wish we did a little less spreading wide at times. We depend too much on YAC doing that ... though he did find Gandy (11 catches a lot last week. Plus we now have Kasper back. But our WRs are only getting <=10 yds/catch, just like our TE. I wish we would stretch the field long a little more than we do. ... with more mid level passes.

LS - Receiving
PlayerRec.Yds.TDLong
Grandy,Cam11112126
Sobkowicz,Daniel991117
Kasper,Eddie538012
Blakemore,Mason423011
Nelson,Camo215012
Mueller,Cole213011
Totals33292226
I have no facts to back up my claim, but as a bettor, it seems that supposed hi-octane games often turn into defensive slugfests. Conversely, perceived defensive battles often turn into shootouts.
In other words, I have no idea what I’m talking about:)

Phantom

Just win. Would obviously rather end up 7-4 and roll the dice than finish 6-5 and stay mired in the mediocre maelstrom. But can't get to that point without this one, so...find a way to win.

fourthandshort

I have no facts to back up my claim, but as a bettor, it seems that supposed hi-octane games often turn into defensive slugfests. Conversely, perceived defensive battles often turn into shootouts.
In other words, I have no idea what I’m talking about:)
yep .. but not until someone has the courage to say it, does it guarantee a low scoring game !!
o_O

Last edited:

Dmills

Yes, we've played a relatively weak schedule, but still surprised to see this given Blakemore has been our primary source of yardage and our passing game has been our bread and butter.

fourthandshort

Yes, we've played a relatively weak schedule, but still surprised to see this given Blakemore has been our primary source of yardage and our passing game has been our bread and butter.

I feel like our pass game efficiency spreads the field well and helps our run game ... sideline and TE throws really keeps defenses honest. Though Blakemore has been a very pleasant surprise.

fourthandshort

Other interesting stat, we are a strong 3rd in MVFC in rush yds/att. and 11th in FCS. But cant ignore the disparity of strong vs weak opponents .. we're 4-4 and have played just 3 strong teams so far: SDSU, YSU, an UNI .. and YSU while decent on defense, is not strong on defense. We ran reasonably well against SDSU, ran all over YSU, but couldn't do anything against UNI.

1698934835312.png

1698934961533.png

Birdswin

Redbird offense has to be aggressive - especially with the lead in the second half. If we go conservative - recipe for a comeback win by Mo State. Aggressive Offense - we win 38-21 - Passive Offense in the second half lose 31-28.

Top Bottom