Missouri St.

Total Red

Staff member
We can't bask in the glow of the SDSU victory too long. It's time to move on. Fortunately all of College Football is prepared to move on with us. Now that LSU-Alabama is over the eyes of the College Football World turn to Normal, IL and the Epic contest between Missouri State and Illinois State noon Saturday. It will be Huge, Dynamic, Transformational and The Must See Athletic Event of the Year. This game has SERIOUS FCS Playoff Implications. If that doesn't send fire racing through your loins nothing will. Hancock Stadium - Senior Day - Be There.

DannyCooksey

Birds play their most complete game to date.

36-7 victory. Huge day for Brady Davis and the defense

fourthandshort

So MoST is 10th in run defense, 10th in pass defense, 10th in run offense, 9th in pass offense QBR ... but they are really bad in run offense and run defense. Because they can't run a lick, they pass a lot. And I'm sure they took note of what WIU did to put us on our heels with their no huddle hurry up .. I won't be surprised if they try that some.

Their defense is also 10th in sacks .. 7 total, so Brady should have plenty of time. Heck, weve gotten more than that in 3 individual games. But their QB is pretty elusive and likes to mix it up back there, so we'll see how much we get to him. They pass about 55% of the time, compared to our 35% ... He's probably most like the UNI QB .. true dual threat, though I think the UNI guy was faster.

If we come to play, we should own the trenches. BUt I still would like to see us work on our pass game some .. got to keep working out the kinks and develop those receivers. I'm sure Spack is going to ground and pound them to death, but hope we don't abandon the pass game for sake of playing it safe.

I loved the first TD catch against SDSU by RS FR Tristan Bailey .. showed great hands and the ability to get after the ball and make tough catches. I want to see more of what he can do. We have a promising young group of receivers .. let's bring them along and given them some meaningful reps and throws.

I can see 4 TD spread this game. Guessing 38-10 .. Robinson gets over 150 yards. Proctor gets another 80. Davis throws for 200 yards. Defense gets 5+ sacks and 5 to 10 QBHs. The longer he's back there, the more we'll hit him .. EIU, NAU, and SIU QBs felt our wrath.

J0K3R2

I’m feeling like it’ll be a fairly similar feel to some other games, like SIU. Hopefully we win by more but I’m feeling 28-10 in the score category. If we can run it down their throats, I give us even more.

That said, all I want is a win. Dominating win preferred.

fourthandshort

J0K3R2 said:
I’m feeling like it’ll be a fairly similar feel to some other games, like SIU. Hopefully we win by more but I’m feeling 28-10 in the score category. If we can run it down their throats, I give us even more.

That said, all I want is a win. Dominating win preferred.

I've been hard on our Redbirds for not putting bad teams away more. But in hindsight, very few teams put away EIU, and SIU turned into a pretty good team. WIU is bit of a mixed bag .. prior to our game, nooone was putting them away, but since then YSU and NDSU both blew them out.

But MoST just does not match up well against us .. when I say their run defense and run offense are bad .. I mean pretty bad. They averaged 2.1 ypc for season and only have 1 game out of 10 where they got to 3 ypc ... that was 3.1 ypc against SDSU that game they finished with 90 rushing yards, but 57 came on a single Q4 run .. so they had 43 total yards on 28 carries, apart from that 1 big run. Every other game was under 3 ypc.

So I'm assuming Spack is going to do his ground and pound on offense - just hoping he sprinkles in enough passing because they just can't get after the QB. And we're going to go after their QB hard because he is good player and they don't have much else going on offense because their run game is that bad.

Hate to take any game for granted, especially having lost to them last year ... but if we show up, it won't be close. We should own the trenches.

chuckie1980

Another Spackled victory....42 -10 Redbirds win...but definitely no blowout. Hmmm...come to think of it....which side of the ball will score more....Defense or Offense or special teams?

Redbird28

chuckie1980 said:
Another Spackled victory....42 -10 Redbirds win...but definitely no blowout. Hmmm...come to think of it....which side of the ball will score more....Defense or Offense or special teams?

42-10 isn't a blowout?

StLRedbird

This may be the worst defense we face this year. I hope we get far enough out front for some of the folks on the depth chart to get PT

Bruins 10
‘birds 37

fourthandshort

StLRedbird said:
This may be the worst defense we face this year. I hope we get far enough out front for some of the folks on the depth chart to get PT

Bruins 10
‘birds 37

Especially the seniors... it is senior day. Show them some love and reps !!!

redbirdfan04

I agree it is senior day but winning this game in a dominate way needs to be the focus. I do hope that each senior gets to see the field but each kid knows signing to play here does not mean you get to play in the game that is earned. I would also like to highlight the seniors that spent all four/five years here at ISU Luther Kirk, James Robinson, Demarco Washington, Jared Rients. (I hope I didn't miss anyone) It is not often in the current game that a kid stays at one place. Kuddos to these young Men.

redbirdfan04

redbirdfan04 said:
I agree it is senior day but winning this game in a dominate way needs to be the focus. I do hope that each senior gets to see the field but each kid knows signing to play here does not mean you get to play in the game that is earned. I would also like to highlight the seniors that spent all four/five years here at ISU Luther Kirk, James Robinson, Tuvone Clark, Demarco Washington, Jared Rients. (I hope I didn't miss anyone) It is not often in the current game that a kid stays at one place. Kuddos to these young Men.

Phantom

Can't have a letdown after last week, and can't take anyone lightly in this conference. Just do our thing and don't play stupid.

Us 31
Them 13

MadBird

Phantom said:
Can't have a letdown after last week, and can't take anyone lightly in this conference. Just do our thing and don't play stupid.

Us 31
Them 13

Yes to this - no letdown.

I look at the Bears vs. the Bizen - at home NDSU beats Bears 22-0. Bizen score a TD with less than 6 minutes left in the game. So, like for 3 1/2 quarters the Bears were "close". Now, the stats hugely favor NDSU (Bears rushed for 21 yds, NDSU 222, total offense 185 to 447). But the Bizen punted 7 times, and only converted 7-16 on 3rd down. BUT, we lost to the Bizen by 34 points at Hancock. So the Bears must have been doing something right (maybe LakesBison or someone could fill us in on what happened).

The Bears season stats hugely favor the opposition. Bears average 62 yards rushing per game, only 3 rushing TD's. Giving up 37+ points per game. You get the picture.

No reason why we shouldn't dominate, IF the boys come to play and do what needs to be done. I have a vivid memory of the Bears spoiling a rainy homecoming a few years ago (on top of the rain). 2008 maybe, 28-34 loss? Can't let that kind of thing happen.

cubird

Last Saturday was the formula the Birds offense must use the rest of the season. Do no harm! Limit turnovers, limit putting the defense in bad spots, and special teams and the defense will provide opprtunities to win the game. As they say...it ain"t rocket science!

Birdswin

I am fairly confident the Birds will take care of business - I look for a conservative offense and a very stingy defense. I can see Mo State with 9 in the box on first and second down - I certainly hope to see some play-action passes early.
Birds 33
Bears 10

Sanantoniobird

Birdswin said:
I am fairly confident the Birds will take care of business - I look for a conservative offense and a very stingy defense. I can see Mo State with 9 in the box on first and second down - I certainly hope to see some play-action passes early.
Birds 33
Bears 10

This. It'd be nice to see us tee-off on MSU, but let's just win. It would also be nice to get a decent enough lead early to give some young guys some reps in an MVFC game, but I don't necessarily see that happening. Anyone remember when our secondary was a liability? I'd think that would be worrisome today, but it as been *mostly lock down against some pretty decent offenses. It's pretty obvious what they are going to want to do, as our run D is no secret. We gotta rattle their QB, which should slow them significantly. We are going to see 8 or 9 in the box the rest of the year, we have to adjust for that to open it up. Like our chances today, but it has to be business as usual.