Missing VB players

SeekingOne

What has happened to some of the upperclassmen volleyball players? I didn't even see them on the sidelines last night. At times there were 4 freshmen playing. Didn't see the intensity and communication that has been there earlier this year.

cubird

2nd loss at home this weekend. What's going on? competed in non conference. Has the opponents figured them out? Is the new system not the best for the players on this team?

Bird Friend

Not uncommon when a popular coach leaves and a new coach brings in a new system.

Manchester Matt

Not uncommon when a popular coach leaves and a new coach brings in a new system.
While I agree to a point, that system produced a win over Cincy and Top 25 Illinois in the nonconference portion of the schedule. Now ISU is getting dominated in conference matches.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Tough losses but I don't think it's time to get the pitchforks out yet. Good to see the excitement and reaction around volleyball though!

Bird Friend

While I agree to a point, that system produced a win over Cincy and Top 25 Illinois in the nonconference portion of the schedule. Now ISU is getting dominated in conference matches.
Like I said. Inconsistency is a key outcome of these kinds of leadership changes.

Redbirdfan76

Maybe Coach Matters is deciding to play the younger players. More unforced errors, such as service errors, not helping this group. Not uncommon for a younger team.

cpacmel

cubird

This is not a rebuild program. I know their big hitter transferred to P 5, but team was picked to repeat.

Bird Friend

This is not a rebuild program. I know their big hitter transferred to P 5, but team was picked to repeat.
Same was said when Donewald took over, but his first team didn't do so well. Same as Muller after Jankovich. Okay, bad example. New coach, new system. Can often mean inconsistent play.

cubird

Apparently, they have 3 or 4 injured staters and 1 reserve out. So my concern of the new system and coach are unfounded. Can't really control injuries. Hope they get well by the back end of the schedule and win the Valley Tournament.

Manchester Matt

Apparently, they have 3 or 4 injured staters and 1 reserve out. So my concern of the new system and coach are unfounded. Can't really control injuries. Hope they get well by the back end of the schedule and win the Valley Tournament.
That makes a lot more sense. The new system thing was an excuse. We have the most talent in the league, hands down, when healthy. That was obvious during the pre-MVC slate.

Bird Friend

That makes a lot more sense. The new system thing was an excuse. We have the most talent in the league, hands down, when healthy. That was obvious during the pre-MVC slate.
Injuries is just as much an excuse. Let's at least be honest, if you're going to put down another's thought. I've seen a lot of really good teams struggle when under a new head coach, just as much as they struggle with injuries.

MadBird

I just want to give you props for coming back and clarifying what you learned. Not that many folks take the time to, and in "public", back off from some position they've taken on a board like this.

Top Bottom