Miss Arch Madness

MikeShox

Hey Redbird fans. I wanted to let you know that we really missed going to St Louis for Arch Madness this March. After 18 consecutive years of going, it was tough not being there. In our early days of going, we were in the play-in games quite often and sometimes lost that game. However, we would stay for the entire tournament and attend every game to see some outstanding basketball and enjoy the atmosphere. Quite often, we would sit with Redbird fans and cheer for the Redbirds. Later, we finally became a factor and we were able to watch our Shockers longer.

To be honest, we likely would not have been at Arch Madness this year even if the Shockers were still in the Valley. Since last August, I’ve had 3 Bladder Cancer surgeries, the last one removing my bladder and prostate. Also, a month before the 2017 Arch Madness, my wife had some knee repair surgery and had a tough time maneuvering around Scottrade Center. Since then, both of her knees have gotten worse that it would have been for too much to do all the walking and climbing up and down steps. Finally, two and a half weeks ago she had her left knee replaced and when it is rehabbed, she needs the other replaced as well.
Back to basketball. Along with always going to St Louis, we were also able for a few years manage to take some trips to games around the Valley. Unfortunately, we made only one trip to Normal for a game. Wow, what great time we had. We saw a great game and enjoyed the Redbird fans. We had some enjoyable conversations with fans, as we had always done in St Louis. The only issue was some fans who did not appreciate the Shocker fan’s tradition of “Stand for Defense” where we would stand and clap at the start of each half until the opponent has made a field goal. One gentleman behind us hollered at us to sit down. My wife told him that all it would take is for his team to score a field goal. Oh well, all fans have different traditions I imagine.

For many years, it seemed that Shocker and Redbird fans got along extremely well. I guess this was before the Shockers began to dominate and while Creighton was the villain. It seems that we remained on at least decent terms until the Jackie Carmichael / Tekele Cotton game. Nevertheless, even after the message board fans turned on each other, we still had good times with Redbird fans in St Louis and when we visited Normal. I guess bitter rivalries are part of the game, but I’m not really into that.
We were naturally Shocker fans first, but Valley fans second. We always pulled for Valley teams during the non-conference season as well as in all the post season tournaments. We watched Valley teams as often as possible on television.

Third, we were fans of our other Kansas teams, but would always support a Valley team over KU or Kansas State. Nobody jumped and cheered more than I when UNI’s Ali Farokhmanesh hit his famous 3 pointer to beat KU in the NCAA.

We wish you well and maybe if our health ever comes back, we will be able to make another run to Arch Madness.

rdt99

I feel for you and your wife. I had to give up season tickets at ISU because of my horrible back. I walk with a cane and handicapped parking around Redbird arena is not sufficient and even inside the arena I had balance problems getting to and from my seat. I really miss going to the games. You're a respectable fan of the Shockers. I miss playing them.

Hamdonger

MikeShox said:
Hey Redbird fans. I wanted to let you know that we really missed going to St Louis for Arch Madness this March. After 18 consecutive years of going, it was tough not being there. In our early days of going, we were in the play-in games quite often and sometimes lost that game. However, we would stay for the entire tournament and attend every game to see some outstanding basketball and enjoy the atmosphere. Quite often, we would sit with Redbird fans and cheer for the Redbirds. Later, we finally became a factor and we were able to watch our Shockers longer.

To be honest, we likely would not have been at Arch Madness this year even if the Shockers were still in the Valley. Since last August, I’ve had 3 Bladder Cancer surgeries, the last one removing my bladder and prostate. Also, a month before the 2017 Arch Madness, my wife had some knee repair surgery and had a tough time maneuvering around Scottrade Center. Since then, both of her knees have gotten worse that it would have been for too much to do all the walking and climbing up and down steps. Finally, two and a half weeks ago she had her left knee replaced and when it is rehabbed, she needs the other replaced as well.
Back to basketball. Along with always going to St Louis, we were also able for a few years manage to take some trips to games around the Valley. Unfortunately, we made only one trip to Normal for a game. Wow, what great time we had. We saw a great game and enjoyed the Redbird fans. We had some enjoyable conversations with fans, as we had always done in St Louis. The only issue was some fans who did not appreciate the Shocker fan’s tradition of “Stand for Defense” where we would stand and clap at the start of each half until the opponent has made a field goal. One gentleman behind us hollered at us to sit down. My wife told him that all it would take is for his team to score a field goal. Oh well, all fans have different traditions I imagine.

For many years, it seemed that Shocker and Redbird fans got along extremely well. I guess this was before the Shockers began to dominate and while Creighton was the villain. It seems that we remained on at least decent terms until the Jackie Carmichael / Tekele Cotton game. Nevertheless, even after the message board fans turned on each other, we still had good times with Redbird fans in St Louis and when we visited Normal. I guess bitter rivalries are part of the game, but I’m not really into that.
We were naturally Shocker fans first, but Valley fans second. We always pulled for Valley teams during the non-conference season as well as in all the post season tournaments. We watched Valley teams as often as possible on television.

Third, we were fans of our other Kansas teams, but would always support a Valley team over KU or Kansas State. Nobody jumped and cheered more than I when UNI’s Ali Farokhmanesh hit his famous 3 pointer to beat KU in the NCAA.

We wish you well and maybe if our health ever comes back, we will be able to make another run to Arch Madness.

:clap: :text-+1:

bb fan

Thanks for the post, Mike.

Sometimes stuff kinds of goes off the rails on message boards. I will just say, as I have in the past, that we have had some terrific interactions with Shocker fans over the years. One of the best Valley roadtrips we took was indeed to Koch. Everybody was great.

Hang in there. You have had a lot on your plate and I wish you the best.

Bird Friend

Hoping the best for you and your wife throughout these health crises.

Metamoron

MikeShox said:

Thanks for the post Mike. Good luck with you and your wife’s health.

How do you feel about the conference change? Both short term and long term. Health permitting would be attending the conf tourney or is distance too far? Would you also travel to any conference games? Do you follow other sports besides basketball? If so what is the effect on them?

FYI when I saw the thread title I figured it was a new gimmick that the valley had put together to crown a “Miss Arch Madness”!!

MikeShox

Metamoron, While I love the Valley, I am happy with the move. As far as long term, I'm not smart enough to say how it will all go. I know that the cities we travel to are much closer to Wichita in size and what they have to offer. Some are larger and some are smaller, but the cities and universities are both closer to what we have. Certainly, at this point we have a much better chance of an at-large bid than we did in the Valley. Now, could a bunch of teams decide to leave the AAC? Certainly it could happen. My crystal ball just isn't that clear. Could the MVC come back to dominance. I have no idea. I hope so.

As far as travelling to the conference tournament, Nest year it will be in Memphis which is not that much further than St Louis and like St Louis, is a town I love to visit. Then the next 2 years, the tournament will be in Fort Worth which is an easier trip than St Louis, so it would be easy. Even if there were no health issues or the fact that due to the health issues we simply cannot afford to travel like we did when I was still making good money, we would be less likely to travel to places like Connecticut, Florida, etc. We would still travel to games in Texas, Louisiana, Tennessee, etc.

While Shocker men's basketball fans traveled unbelievably well, fans did not travel quite that well for other sports. We did travel well for the women's basketball when it was in St Charles, MO, but don't know that we did when it moved. Some of the other sports at least for now found it easier in the AAC while others will have to recruit at a higher level. Shocker baseball did much better than the past 4 years in non-conference, but got their butts kicked in the AAC. Waiting to see if Coach Todd Butler will keep his job. He has not brought about any real improvement in five years, so it that enough time?

Yes, I certainly could have named my thread better than "Miss Arch Madness". :eek:)

Thank you for the well wishes.

Jsnhbe1Birds

Bird Friend said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:
I have a weird feeling Wichita will be back in the MVC in about 10 years.

Will we be in the CCIW?

I'm serious. With conference realignment I think it will come to that because the AAC will be raided big time. There is a chance Wichita goes to the Big East is think but if not the MVC is the next best option. I think the big East will stay religious but they might surprise everyone.

Bird Friend

Jsnhbe1Birds said:
Bird Friend said:
Jsnhbe1Birds said:
I have a weird feeling Wichita will be back in the MVC in about 10 years.

Will we be in the CCIW?

I'm serious. With conference realignment I think it will come to that because the AAC will be raided big time. There is a chance Wichita goes to the Big East is think but if not the MVC is the next best option. I think the big East will stay religious but they might surprise everyone.

And I'm semi-not serious . . . though I wonder with the $$ involved if the Birds can keep up.

bb fan

Agree with Jsnbe1Birds. In fact, I made the prediction shortly after Wichita left. Not so much the Shocks will be back in the Valley, but that they would regret the decision in a few years. It's widely reported a couple of key AAC teams are trying to bolt, and have had talks with P5's, especially Cincinnati. Losing a couple of teams quickly and dramatically changes that conference, very possibly to one bid land. I am hearing that travel costs are killing WSU expense wise. And a down year or two for Marshall's team, or if he leaves will have a big effect as well. There are many that thought is was a big chance for them to leave. And it's possible the Valley won't be in a position to really need them back if they do want back in. I think there is a 1% chance the BE would be interested in Wichita.

Bird Friend

bb fan said:
Agree with Jsnbe1Birds. In fact, I made the prediction shortly after Wichita left. Not so much the Shocks will be back in the Valley, but that they would regret the decision in a few years. It's widely reported a couple of key AAC teams are trying to bolt, and have had talks with P5's, especially Cincinnati. Losing a couple of teams quickly and dramatically changes that conference, very possibly to one bid land. I am hearing that travel costs are killing WSU expense wise. And a down year or two for Marshall's team, or if he leaves will have a big effect as well. There are many that thought is was a big chance for them to leave. And it's possible the Valley won't be in a position to really need them back if they do want back in. I think there is a 1% chance the BE would be interested in Wichita.

Unless the BE changes their model, I think you're odds are too high.

Jsnhbe1Birds

Bird Friend said:
bb fan said:

Unless the BE changes their model, I think you're odds are too high.

I think they will come back to the MVC because the MVC is not in danger of being raided. But, after the AAC is then they're in the same position as the MVC currently is. Who to add that immediately enhances the league. The answer is, nobody. The difference is what is left in the MVC is stronger than what is left in the AAC. The AAC will take a nose dive. Also, I would assume Dayton is in the Big East by this time and VCU isn't the power it once was with Smart gone. St. Louis and St. Joe's are never ones to stay at the top. They're both cyclical programs. The A-10 will be hurt too and that might make St. Louis come to the MVC if Wichita State agree to come back. Gonzaga will eventually go the MWC making them the 7th best conference and when realignment happens I think the MVC will be the 8th overall conference annually. My guess is Wichita State and St. Louis will be in the MVC by 2030. Maybe the MVC can see this playing out which is why they're sitting tight and waiting for the dominos to fall. Why rush? Murray State will always be there for the taking.

WSpringsBird

MikeShox said:

I'm really sorry to hear about your and your wife's health challenges. We wish you the best--and we'll count on seeing you in St. Louis.

Top Bottom