Mid-Major Coaching Salaries

DoubleDeuce

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/11/4/20946421/ncaa-basketball-head-coach-contract-salary-database-mid-major-2019-20?fbclid=IwAR1E6Sn2XXpwO7QPGE1dEW7cly0lHsA00ZFJosWhvBDDZBG8G33QaBAle6Q

Interesting article with some fun contract incentives/clauses:

If Missouri State’s attendance is at least 8,000 per game then Dana Ford receives a $10,000 bonus. (The Bears only drew 5,500 fans per game to JQH Arena.)

Southern Illinois’s Bryan Mullins receives $5,000 everytime the Salukis sell out SIU Arena.

If Northern Iowa’s Ben Jacobson is not among the top three highest paid coaches in the Missouri Valley in guaranteed compensation, he can renegotiate his contract.

ricohill

Muller is the 12th highest paid on that list. Make your own conclusions on that fact...

birdlife

some very good stuff here. you can view actual contracts from within their google spreadsheet.

if muller were to leave for another d1 job, his buyout is a whopping 50k and "best efforts for" a home and home with his new school.

that note on ben jacobson being able to renegotiate if not within the top 3 in compensation - wonder if he is exercising that now. thats a pretty coach-friendly clause.

birdlife

ricohill said:
Muller is the 12th highest paid on that list. Make your own conclusions on that fact...

i think its hard to judge because the list is incomplete. but i do agree, thats pretty high for any list. another one to note is Wardle being #5. does bradley like him that much? maybe its my bias but, is he that good?

Redbirdwarrior

As a reminder, Muller has won the Missouri Valley and been the MVC COY. There are at least 2 dozen coaches from the private schools that out earn coach. Porter, for example, is probably sneaking up on $800K.

I'll beat this drum till it changes: Dan Muller has never had a losing season as a head coach. He is 139-96. Anyone harping that $550K for a coach with his record and history is too much does not understand the money of college athletics. MOST of the coaches on this list have a win% nowhere near our coach. A solid number of them are well under .500.

ricohill

Redbirdwarrior said:
As a reminder, Muller has won the Missouri Valley and been the MVC COY. There are at least 2 dozen coaches from the private schools that out earn coach. Porter, for example, is probably sneaking up on $800K.

I'll beat this drum till it changes: Dan Muller has never had a losing season as a head coach. He is 139-96. Anyone harping that $550K for a coach with his record and history is too much does not understand the money of college athletics. MOST of the coaches on this list have a win% nowhere near our coach. A solid number of them are well under .500.

Coaches ahead of Muller on this list:

Mark Few: 33 conference championships, 20 NCAA Tournaments
Leon Rice: 2 NCAA Tournaments - 2 NIT
Niko Medved: 3 CIT Appearances
Rodney Terry: 1 NCAA Tournament - 2 NIT
Brian Wardle: 2 conference championships, 1 NCAA, 2 NIT
Earl Grant: 2 conference championships, I NCAA, 1 NIT
Rick Stansbury: 8 conference championships, 6 NCAA Tournament, 6 NIT
Jeff Boals: 2 CBI
Rob Lanier: 1 conference championship, 1 NCAA, 1 NIT
Nick McDevitt: 3 conference championships, 1 NCAA, 1 NIT
Tim Cluess: 14 conference championships, 6 NCAA, 2 NIT
Dan Muller: Co-conference champs, 2 NIT

Phantom

Redbirdwarrior said:

I think therein lies the arguments both for and against any salary discussions. One one hand, yes we've had a consistent winner - sort of. A number of coaches on that list are overall under .500 but how many have been to the Dance? There's always that factor to consider. Sure, we have been solid to the naked eye for a long stretch (only one sub .500 season in 12 years), but with really what to show for it? Some real good teams, yes, but again, haven't reached the pinnacle.

22 years...

Redbirdwarrior

Phantom said:
Redbirdwarrior said:

I think therein lies the arguments both for and against any salary discussions. One one hand, yes we've had a consistent winner - sort of. A number of coaches on that list are overall under .500 but how many have been to the Dance? There's always that factor to consider. Sure, we have been solid to the naked eye for a long stretch (only one sub .500 season in 12 years), but with really what to show for it? Some real good teams, yes, but again, haven't reached the pinnacle.

22 years...

Fully understand and fully agree here. Regardless of politics or money, record or awards, we have not made the show since I was 13. That is indeed a problem. I then have 2 questions:

1- If Muller made the show and was bounced in the first round, would this board give him credit for that as they give him blame for the drought? Or would they be more likely to suggest it is luck and switch on a dime from "The show is what I want" to "You didn't do well enough in the show'?

2- There are a LOT of just... bad basketball coaches on this list. Like, truly bad. Should we be willing to have a bad coach (I think we can all agree that Muller has proven to not be "bad", just not "great") and supporting bad, sub-10 win seasons, for a few years with the idea of gambling on a leadership change making the show.

2A- IF you had 2 sub 12 win seasons followed by one 20 win with a run through St. Louis and then back to 2-3 years of 12 win seasons, is that better or worse than 7 straight years of winning with no NCAA?

Phantom

There's always going to be gray area and three sides to each coin. I think most folks would like seven straight "winning" years without a trip to the Dance because in your scenario, that one trip would seem like a fluke. At least with consistent winning you always feel like you're in the fight and have a chance.

At this point, just getting to the Dance and having a place at that table might feel good enough - for now. Of course it would suck to get bounced right away, but just to be in the field would be a relief.

Bird Friend

Redbirdwarrior said:
Phantom said:
Redbirdwarrior said:

22 years...

Fully understand and fully agree here. Regardless of politics or money, record or awards, we have not made the show since I was 13. That is indeed a problem. I then have 2 questions:

1- If Muller made the show and was bounced in the first round, would this board give him credit for that as they give him blame for the drought? Or would they be more likely to suggest it is luck and switch on a dime from "The show is what I want" to "You didn't do well enough in the show'?

2- There are a LOT of just... bad basketball coaches on this list. Like, truly bad. Should we be willing to have a bad coach (I think we can all agree that Muller has proven to not be "bad", just not "great") and supporting bad, sub-10 win seasons, for a few years with the idea of gambling on a leadership change making the show.

2A- IF you had 2 sub 12 win seasons followed by one 20 win with a run through St. Louis and then back to 2-3 years of 12 win seasons, is that better or worse than 7 straight years of winning with no NCAA?

I'm with ya on your questions, warrior. I'm pretty sure some on here would not agree with you that Muller hasn't proven to be a 'bad' coach (and they shout it every chance they get). I've asked similar questions, such as what if we sucked by won in St. Louis (somewhat like BU last year). Remember how we all felt after Jankovich's last season when he took a 'meh' year and turned in 1 really good win in the NIT. We all thought dancing was assured for seasons to come.

There are still some Judson apologists who will never fully support Muller. There are some who just never have and never will support Muller. There are some who always have and always will support Muller. There are some who've slid down the support continuum to no support, and probably won't be able to make the climb back. There are some who waffle almost from game to game, and those who waffle season by season. And other combos . . . Same as any other school, I suppose.

Believe it or not, I put myself firmly in the 'have reservations' but don't see an obviously better option. I just don't shout out my reservations every chance I get. It makes the season too anxiety-ridden, and takes the enjoyment out of just watching basketball.

I have always had reservations about Muller's style. I sense he's too cerebral for most players. (And I think Judson suffered the same fault, so . . . ) I think Dan needs someone who can take his vision and make it real for the players. I believe he had that with Yak. Now maybe he can have that with Belcher. I'm not sure what he has yet with Jones, and I think Reese is a 'solid but uninspiring' assistant.

To me, contending for the Valley title year in and year out is more satisfying than dancing only because we won the Arch lottery. To suck all year and then win in St. Louis (while exciting at the moment) is fool's gold, IMO.

All that said, I wonder if in a few years it will matter when the power conferences gobble up the top MMs and segregate basketball into two D1 divisions, like football. And even then, you'll notice that FBS is breaking in two since some FBS conferences have no shot at playing for a national title.

All right. Now that I've "Eeyore'd" my day . . . I'm off to handle my chores.

DoubleDeuce

Bird Friend said:
All that said, I wonder if in a few years it will matter when the power conferences gobble up the top MMs and segregate basketball into two D1 divisions, like football. And even then, you'll notice that FBS is breaking in two since some FBS conferences have no shot at playing for a national title.

d8f055f1d0b510f86625026c2e6203523156de9a4b411048be67a9bd584a1742.jpg

redbirds2000

Redbirdwarrior said:

How's that winning % on Sunday in St. Louis? That's all that matters. Put a star by that MVC Championship. WSU was heads and shoulders the best team. But go ahead and print a t-shirt

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ISU FAN 1

ricohill said:
Redbirdwarrior said:

Coaches ahead of Muller on this list:

Mark Few: 33 conference championships, 20 NCAA Tournaments
Leon Rice: 2 NCAA Tournaments - 2 NIT
Niko Medved: 3 CIT Appearances
Rodney Terry: 1 NCAA Tournament - 2 NIT
Brian Wardle: 2 conference championships, 1 NCAA, 2 NIT
Earl Grant: 2 conference championships, I NCAA, 1 NIT
Rick Stansbury: 8 conference championships, 6 NCAA Tournament, 6 NIT
Jeff Boals: 2 CBI
Rob Lanier: 1 conference championship, 1 NCAA, 1 NIT
Nick McDevitt: 3 conference championships, 1 NCAA, 1 NIT
Tim Cluess: 14 conference championships, 6 NCAA, 2 NIT
Dan Muller: Co-conference champs, 2 NIT
Since I have never heard of many of these guys, and can’t tell who most even coach for, I guess Muller belongs in such company.

Redbird222

I believe Muller surrounded him with a good coaching staff when he joined ISU and over the years it has eroded. We had a couple of strong recruiters that could relate to young talent. While I think the current staff is definitely an upgrade over the past two years, I still think we may be missing that person that can seal the deal.

We need a Ford, Ward or Penny Collins on the staff. Our coaches will look a lot smarter if we have some better talent. I hope I am wrong and this staff can recruit better than I am anticipating.

Redbirdwarrior

Redbird222 said:
I believe Muller surrounded him with a good coaching staff when he joined ISU and over the years it has eroded. We had a couple of strong recruiters that could relate to young talent. While I think the current staff is definitely an upgrade over the past two years, I still think we may be missing that person that can seal the deal.

We need a Ford, Ward or Penny Collins on the staff. Our coaches will look a lot smarter if we have some better talent. I hope I am wrong and this staff can recruit better than I am anticipating.

Id never thought of how important assistant coaches are, but this makes a ton of sense. The Duhon experiment was an absolute disaster. How can a guy who played at the highest level for a decade after winning a few national titles be such a trash coach? I'd guess he really isn't interested in being a coach and just wants to stay in the game because what else do you do after it being your life for 30 years?

Top Bottom