MBB: Birds Picked 2nd in Preseason Poll

Adunk33

Staff member
#MVChoops Preseason Poll:
1-Loyola, 2-#REDBIRDhoops, 3- Southern Illinois, 4-Bradley, 5-UNI, 6-INST, 7-Valpo, 8-MoState, 9-Drake, 10-Evansville

#REDBIRDhoops Preseason All-Conference 1st team: Phil Fayne and Milik Yarbrough, 2nd team: Keyshawn Evans

Adunk33

Staff member
https://twitter.com/Redbird_MBB/status/1052953040066629637

Redbirdwarrior

Hard to suggest a team like Loyola, coming off that season with those returners wouldnt be first.

WoodlandWarrior

Loyola returns quality players, but also lost some really key players in Ingram, Jackson and the other guard. It will be a great matchup when we play them again.

WSpringsBird

Redbirdwarrior said:
Hard to suggest a team like Loyola, coming off that season with those returners wouldnt be first.

I think there are three pretty close teams in the top 3, and a very good team just behind them (Bradley). I suspect that who stays healthy will have a big bearing on who wins the MVC.

Also, it looks like Illinois will again be the fifth-best team in the state of Illinois.

ThisIsTheLineup

Not surprised in the least to see Loyola as #1. That was pretty much assumed to me.
I could very well see us on top of that list come March, however.

Congrats to Milik, Phil and Key on All-Valley honors!

Phantom

No surprise with anything here. Might as well rename it "Illinois Valley Conference" for this season :p

fdbird83

Keyshawn out.

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/isu-second-in-mvc-basketball-poll-evans-to-miss-time/article_1cd9dea8-b65e-58b1-9f3f-1adb7835a14b.html

V Boy

The players who play most like a TEAM will win the league. Loyola wears that crown right now. They turn it over least. Shoot it best. And play best team defense. Until that changes they will be top dog.

Manchester Matt

V Boy said:
The players who play most like a TEAM will win the league. Loyola wears that crown right now. They turn it over least. Shoot it best. And play best team defense. Until that changes they will be top dog.

Maybe. They lost three very important players from that team. Time will tell how much those losses will affect the way they play.

redbirdron1

Excellent points V Boy. Muller's a smart dude and hope he can impress all your concerns upon
the roster. He hasn't been able to get the message of POSSESSION EFFICIENCY across in the past. IMO

Every season brings a new set of challenges/strengths - really looking forward to a low drama/high performance season.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting part to me is that three teams got 1st place votes, including 10 for us. Usually there is a clear cut number one.

DoubleDeuce

isuquinndog said:
Interesting part to me is that three teams got 1st place votes, including 10 for us. Usually there is a clear cut number one.

Surely true during WSU's dominant recent span but is this true in general? Here's a loosely relevant quote that got me thinking about your comment.

"Pollsters have accurately predicted the league’s regular-season champ five of the past six years, but only 17 times out of 33 total since 1985-86:"

http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/is-it-illinois-valley-conference/

Atrey22

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-preview-11-potential-cinderella-squads-who-could-surprise-in-2019-ncaa-tournament/

Top Bottom