MAC

cubird

We join the MAC and still can play in a post bowl game in Texas at the Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl. Kent State wins its first bowl game tonight.

Redbirds100

I find the FCS playoffs and the MVFC to be more exciting than the MAC or a MAC "no meaning" bowl game. Yes which mac teams qualified for the who gives a crap bowl? And You want to spend money going to it?

But it was a good game and entertainment for Friday night, the other game on, division 3 championship had more on the line to watch, but not a good game.

Virginia Redbird

I did not watch either game but congratulations to the North Central Cardinals for winning the DIV III Championship and bringing the trophy to Illinois. Nice to see someone win besides Wisconsin-Whitewater or Mount Union. Now someone needs to knock off the Bison!

fourthandshort

Virginia Redbird said:
I did not watch either game but congratulations to the North Central Cardinals for winning the DIV III Championship and bringing the trophy to Illinois. Nice to see someone win besides Wisconsin-Whitewater or Mount Union. Now someone needs to knock off the Bison!

very impressive run and Natty for North Central ... they knocked Mount Union on the way... then they demolished a very good Whitewater yesterday, who had knocked off the other 2 D-III powers St Johns and Mary-Harding Baylor on their way to Natty.

Before playoffs, North Central was ranked 7th, behind #1 Mount Union, #2 Hardin Baylor, #3 Whitewater, and #4 St Johns.

North Central's only loss in regular season was to #5 Wheaton, who lost in playoffs to #4 St Johns.

MadBird

fourthandshort said:
Virginia Redbird said:

very impressive run and Natty for North Central ... they knocked Mount Union on the way... then they demolished a very good Whitewater yesterday, who had knocked off the other 2 D-III powers St Johns and Mary-Harding Baylor on their way to Natty.

Before playoffs, North Central was ranked 7th, behind #1 Mount Union, #2 Hardin Baylor, #3 Whitewater, and #4 St Johns.

North Central's only loss in regular season was to #5 Wheaton, who lost in playoffs to #4 St Johns.

Mrs. MadBird and I attended both the St.John's quarterfinal game at Wheaton and semi-final at Whitewater. Wheaton was a very good team, good size, and the game went down to the final seconds, with a missed extra point deciding the game ("at the buzzer"). Whitewater was a very impressive and versatile team, could run it and pass it and defend. I would say in the end they just wore the Johnnies down. FG at the end for the final margin of victory.

Whitewater features lots of Chicago area kids along with Wisconsin kids, and North Central and Wheaton are largely Chicagao area kids. All three have really good size - I think UWW had to average 300+ lbs on the OL. The North Central QB won the Gagliardi Trophy, the DIII equivalent to the Heisman.

St. John's also took on Aurora University in the playoffs, which is coached by former pro Don Beebe. Also a very prolific QB and passing attack.

Good football, fun to watch.

Virginia Redbird

MadBird said:
fourthandshort said:
Virginia Redbird said:

Mrs. MadBird and I attended both the St.John's quarterfinal game at Wheaton and semi-final at Whitewater. Wheaton was a very good team, good size, and the game went down to the final seconds, with a missed extra point deciding the game ("at the buzzer"). Whitewater was a very impressive and versatile team, could run it and pass it and defend. I would say in the end they just wore the Johnnies down. FG at the end for the final margin of victory.

Whitewater features lots of Chicago area kids along with Wisconsin kids, and North Central and Wheaton are largely Chicagao area kids. All three have really good size - I think UWW had to average 300+ lbs on the OL. The North Central QB won the Gagliardi Trophy, the DIII equivalent to the Heisman.

St. John's also took on Aurora University in the playoffs, which is coached by former pro Don Beebe. Also a very prolific QB and passing attack.

It sounds like it was an exciting game but what a heartbreaking way to lose.

ISUBU

North Central has a good number (10 or so?) of kids from central Illinois.

salsa

Virginia Redbird said:
MadBird said:
fourthandshort said:

Especially since they were penalized 15 on the TD because the offensive lineman who ran the ball in spiked the ball in excitement. He realized right away what he did and was kicking himself.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

topiarydan

Unless the MVC expends then I find playing the following in the MAC West a lot more interesting than playing North Dakota, South Dakota and Indy State - also a lot easier to get to. Granted playing on Tuesday and Weds nites to whore yourself out to ESPN isn't what I would call a good deal

However wouldn't it be nice to have the following to go to
Northern Illinois
Ball State
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Toledo
Miami Ohio

then some crossovers to
BG
Akron
Kent Sate
Buffalo
Ohio
Eastern Michigan

redbirdfan04

Also, the conference gets the bowl money not the individual school. I was talking to a trustee from NIU and he was telling me how important the bowl money was to each team. Also getting to a new year's six bowl game brings in way more money. The money is divided amongst the schools over two to three years. The school that was in the game does get a bigger % of the money he did say.

TIMMY

topiarydan said:
Unless the MVC expends then I find playing the following in the MAC West a lot more interesting than playing North Dakota, South Dakota and Indy State - also a lot easier to get to. Granted playing on Tuesday and Weds nites to whore yourself out to ESPN isn't what I would call a good deal

Northern Illinois
Ball State
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Toledo
Miami Ohio

then some crossovers to
BG
Akron
Kent Sate
Buffalo
Ohio
Eastern Michigan
I think it would be great to play those schools at those schools. I agree with the weeknight thing but a chance at a bowl game in decent weather would be cool. But we could still use a practice facility to compete IMO.

Virginia Redbird

salsa said:
Virginia Redbird said:
MadBird said:

Especially since they were penalized 15 on the TD because the offensive lineman who ran the ball in spiked the ball in excitement. He realized right away what he did and was kicking himself.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Wow...that poor kid!

MadBird

Virginia Redbird said:
Wow...that poor kid!

Lot's of "tears" to go around. The OL who scored the TD spiked the ball right in front of the ref, even tho it wasn't really a "showboat" spike by any measure but was still a spike. So, they go for the tying XP kick from 30 yds or whatever it is, and the kicker misses left. BUT there were offsetting penalties (offense 12 men on the field, defense running into kicker). So they kick again from 30 yds, and the poor kid misses right this time.

So, from the St. John's perspective, they go from winning that improbable game on Wheaton's field, incredible high, to taking the lead at Whitewater in the 4th quarter the next week, only to have UWW drive the field and kick a game winning FG with 2 minutes left, and then, thinking there's enough time to drive down to score, you give up an interception. The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat!

StLRedbird

TIMMY said:
topiarydan said:

Northern Illinois
Ball State
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Toledo
Miami Ohio

then some crossovers to
BG
Akron
Kent Sate
Buffalo
Ohio
Eastern Michigan
I think it would be great to play those schools at those schools. I agree with the weeknight thing but a chance at a bowl game in decent weather would be cool. But we could still use a practice facility to compete IMO.
I quit going to weeknight bball games about 10 yrs ago. Makes for too hard a day at work the next day. I have to assume that the only reason the MAC has chosen to play these games is that it has a majority of members with enough trouble paying their bills that they're willing to do something this bad to their fans and players. I like the conference otherwise, but these weekday games are a deal-breaker for me.

Does anyone think that playing weekday games has increased awareness of the MAC or improved opinions about the level of play there?

MadBird

StLRedbird said:
TIMMY said:
topiarydan said:

Northern Illinois
Ball State
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Toledo
Miami Ohio

then some crossovers to
BG
Akron
Kent Sate
Buffalo
Ohio
Eastern Michigan
I quit going to weeknight bball games about 10 yrs ago. Makes for too hard a day at work the next day. I have to assume that the only reason the MAC has chosen to play these games is that it has a majority of members with enough trouble paying their bills that they're willing to do something this bad to their fans and players. I like the conference otherwise, but these weekday games are a deal-breaker for me.

Does anyone think that playing weekday games has increased awareness of the MAC or improved opinions about the level of play there?

I totally agree with your perspective on weekday games (I still go to Wisconsin bball games during the week), but wouldn't want any part of a MAC schedule. I have to admit, I have looked in on a MAC game now and then during the week. So, maybe increased my awareness but not my opinion.

StLRedbird

MadBird said:
StLRedbird said:
TIMMY said:

I totally agree with your perspective on weekday games (I still go to Wisconsin bball games during the week), but wouldn't want any part of a MAC schedule. I have to admit, I have looked in on a MAC game now and then during the week. So, maybe increased my awareness but not my opinion.
Same here. I end up checking in on those MAC games several times a year. Watch some, wander away from others. I’m more aware of MAC football, but watching it has not raised my opinion. Also, JMO, but I think CUSA has been better the past few years. No idea what Sagarin and Massey say....

Chi-bird

I guess I'm pretty neutral on this. On one hand, I really like FBS football, and the bowl system. I like that only 4 teams make the playoffs......it makes for a regular season that is really important and just plain awesome. Essentially, the playoffs start Labor Day weekend in a way. At least, it did for Clemson this year.

On the other hand, I really do not like having a conference that is essentially run by ESPN. I can't support the idea of playing Tuesday and Wednesday nights. It might be lucrative in a way (for tv revenue) but it's bad for the fans and for alums developing a connection with the university, family/friend traditions of going to the games, etc. I could get behind the occasional Thursday night or Friday night, but not early/mid week.

With all that said, I think we should be realistic and know that a move up would need to be accompanied by a detailed plan of what we are going to do to be successful at that level. Moving up without greatly increasing our commitment to football is a terrible idea, imho. Along those lines, what gives us the idea that we deserve it over other teams in our conference, let alone FCS? What have we done? Can we at least win consistently and have periodic deep runs into the playoffs? Why us?

fourthandshort

I go back and forth on whether jump to MAC would make sense for ISUr .. so not convinced either way. But I haate the idea of mid week games .. it will hurt our fair weather fan base ... especially the tailgating experience which is pretty good at ISU.

I did look up several schedules, and it seems like 90% of weekday games are usually the last 4 or 5 games of season. I'm just not sure if games are being moved after the fact based on what might draw more TV viewers late in season for games with playoff implications ??? Presumably, FBS is in same situation and dominates TV shares o Saturdays later in season, maybe ?

Anyone know if that is how and why it is done in MAC and if the games are rescheduled to mid week based on better TV ratings ?

chuckie1980

I have always wondered the viewership numbers of games on ESPN3, ESPN+, etc for all the various games and how viewing an ISU game compares to other teams. Of course, I also wonder of the reality if the numbers reported would be good or bad....and I would say most likely bad for the Birds.