M T X E

chuckie1980

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/columnists/kindred/kindred-mtxe-era-to-get-its-due-at-isu/article_fc716eb9-58be-5257-b063-b404816cf094.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Baltimore Bird

That was such a fun time. My four years were the same as Galvin, Jones and Yarbrough. Donewald stifled that run for a few years and then he really got it going too with 3 NCAA trips in a row.

GO BIRDS!

Redbird28

My grandfather went to high school with Gene. He was 2 years older than Gene so it was interesting looking through his old yearbooks a couple nights ago at his house. It was such a different era back then and the basketball pictures / descriptions of the team were priceless. If I get a chance I'll snap some pictures of them sometime soon and post them up for everyone to see.

I had a couple of shirts made for this weekend for my grandfather and I to wear bearing the MTXE so if you see us at the game, say hello.

chuckie1980

The glory days of ISU basketball when the sport was still manageable. And the best thing on the football field was BRMM.

Times sure have changed. Now...I LOVE REDBIRD FOOTBALL....I still love BRMM....and basketball...just seems to not be able to get it right (I blame the NCAA).

bb fan

What a wonderful promotion.. Kudos to our sports admin for putting this together. This is right in my wheelhouse, having graduated in 1977. I mentioned before I did some artwork for Coach Smithson, along with team artist Roger Barnes. Always thought it was cool Gene had a team artist, maybe because I was at art major. Got to know Ron Ferguson at that time, who was an assistant and became the AD at Bradley and we became friends. Fergie was one of my referrals to become a basketball official. What great games and great players, I also drew a lot about this team when I was the staff artist for the Vidette. This is going to be a fun game and night!

ricohill

bb fan said:
What a wonderful promotion.. Kudos to our sports admin for putting this together. This is right in my wheelhouse, having graduated in 1977. I mentioned before I did some artwork for Coach Smithson, along with team artist Roger Barnes. Always thought it was cool Gene had a team artist, maybe because I was at art major. Got to know Ron Ferguson at that time, who was an assistant and became the AD at Bradley and we became friends. Fergie was one of my referrals to become a basketball official. What great games and great players, I also drew a lot about this team when I was the staff artist for the Vidette. This is going to be a fun game and night!

BB fan, did you do any of the artwork for the media guides back then? I have a couple from the Smithson era and some of the cover artwork is awesome.

Don't know if you have anything still that you did, but would be cool to see if you still had anything.

bb fan

Actually, Rico I have been trying to figure out how to post some Vidette art I did during that era of the team. I will keep trying. I posted it on the old forum board. And I did do a few things for the media guides, but all I can remember was some for football stuff. I had the honor of working a little bit with the great Roger Cushman, the SID at that time. What I did for Gene was paint some Running Redbird logos on his office walls with some big MTXE's. Again, assisting team artist Roger Barnes. Roger was one of the best Illustrators to come out of ISU. I would wager some of the cover are you are talking about was drawn by Roger.

bb fan

Tpguy

I didn't like Horton, to much noise and too many fans standing

fdbird83

Horton was a dump, but the best college basketball venue I've ever been to.

Brick

The new MTXE uniforms came in after the season started. I had to stay back and drive them to Des Moines to get them there in time for the game. Unfortunately we lost.

ISU FAN 1

fdbird83 said:

It’s a dump now. A nightmare for opponents and appropriate to its era, and well maintained during its tenure. Valpo playing in a lesser gym now.

Bdub777

ISU FAN 1 said:
fdbird83 said:

It’s a dump now. A nightmare for opponents and appropriate to its era, and well maintained during its tenure. Valpo playing in a lesser gym now.

Well Valpo has a concession stand on the baseline. I'm not sure your priorities are in the right place! :D

ricohill

https://twitter.com/RedbirdHDTV/status/964561205972099072

The good old days when ISU was a national power and played exciting basketball....