Luke Huard

Sanantoniobird

Randomly began thinking of this guy. I was just remembering how he was the OC of the #18 team that was snubbed (and took the #4 team to 2 OTs). His teams, while here were some of the more high powered offenses we’ve had, usually in the top 3rd of passing offense. Now he’s at Sac State (as a co-OC), and if you’ve been paying any attention at all, they are the hottest team in the country right now.
I don’t think there were any stops b/n him being OC here, and being qb Coach at sac st. Anyone know why he’d take Sac St. (perennial 3rd tier tm in Big Sky), over an OC job in the MVFC? Money may be at work here, but may have been on his way to an HC having only been in the game since ‘07. I think my memory is failing me on this topic.

fourthandshort

Interesting idea ... though have to wonder why he is still FCS offensive coordinator 7 years after he left ISU as OC. Note, like Spack, he inherited Matt Brown from previous regime. BUt I do recall we had some pretty big games when they were forced to let Matt Brown's arm win high scoring games .. which is far from Spack's MO and comfort zone. But when allowed, Matt Brown outdueled some great teams and QBs ... EIUs Garrapolo multiple times, EWU electricifying pass game, Appy St, NDSU's Brock Jensen multiple times, and several other in MVFC. How much of that was Browns raw ability vs Huard's (QB hanlding, game planning, play calling, etc) ... I have no idea. I just know, Brown was capable of carrying a very heavy load, but wasn't always allowed to IMO.

So again, it is an interesting idea, but Huard is probably a better fit in the wild wild west .. i.e. Big Sky ... where they love to throw the ball. And maybe felt like his hands were tied here under Spack.

I would love to see Spack evolve further in his offensive mindset ... let your QB play some ... theat means, making a few mistakes and learning from it .. and getting even better as a result. Then you just might attract better HS QBs, which would also help attract better receivers ... it feeds on itself, like he's done with recruiting the RB position. We have no trouble recruiting quality RBs. Can't say same for QB position. Got to be a reason .. right ??

So maybe a guy like Huard would be good fit, but at same time might not be interested in coaching with his hands tied most of the time.

TIMMY

Huard is an interesting name.

I'll give you 2 more interesting names Dan Clark and Billy Dicken. Some guys are really good at some things. Because they're really good, you take those guys and give them a different gig. Well that co co-ordinater thing is a pile of crap. Those 2 guys could really coach up they're position groups. :think:

Here's my HC challenge. Watch something other than the QB and RB. Focus on the OL. They'll take you to the ball. Look at technique and push.
Focus on the WR's. That's a little harder. Look at the routes. Look at separation. Then think real hard about what you're watching. Just sayin.

Top Bottom