Loyalty over Character

V Boy

Been thinking more about this and talking with some of my ISU buddies about this. I think if I were to sum up the Muller regime in one thought it would be....."Loyalty over Character."

If you were to grade Muller on bringing players into the program who have high a combination of high character, team-first focus and relentless attitude to improve as a team he would probably get a grade of D (and that might be generous).

If you were to grade Muller on demonstrating loyalty to his players and assistant coaches he would probably get a grade of A.

The problem with this of course, is that if you are loyal to low-character/low-team-first mindset/low-improvement players and you are overly loyal assistant coaches who routinely leave your program (or are looking to leave), then that is not a winning combination for Illinois State University in my opinion.

Being loyal to players who break rules over and over and over and never demonstrate a team-first attitude or an ability to get other players to buy into a single goal of winning at the expense of everything else is not helpful for ISU.

And so when you combine the D and the A together, you get a C+, which is probably how I would grade Muller overall. And we have gotten C+ results. And for that to change we need Muller to change his mindset to being LOYAL TO THE HIGHEST CHARACTER EVERY DAY AND STOP BEING LOYAL JUST TO BE LOYAL.

ISU FAN 1

Winning percentage is 59.4%

Every Bone Scholar knows that’s an F. But tantalizingly close to a D minus.

If Dan would just build a team in his image, instead of pretending this is a fantasy league.

V Boy

ISU FAN 1 said:

If Dan would just build a team in his image, instead of pretending this is a fantasy league.

Well....Coach K's winning percentage is .7670 and I'm pretty sure he's not a "C".

I do agree if Muller would just recruit more Mullers that we would win.

ISU FAN 1

V Boy said:
ISU FAN 1 said:

Well....Coach K's winning percentage is .7670 and I'm pretty sure he's not a "C".

I do agree if Muller would just recruit more Mullers that we would win.
If he were graded on a curve, your C+ would be about right.

Trey_Guidry4three

V Boy said:
Been thinking more about this and talking with some of my ISU buddies about this. I think if I were to sum up the Muller regime in one thought it would be....."Loyalty over Character."

If you were to grade Muller on bringing players into the program who have high a combination of high character, team-first focus and relentless attitude to improve as a team he would probably get a grade of D (and that might be generous).

If you were to grade Muller on demonstrating loyalty to his players and assistant coaches he would probably get a grade of A.

The problem with this of course, is that if you are loyal to low-character/low-team-first mindset/low-improvement players and you are overly loyal assistant coaches who routinely leave your program (or are looking to leave), then that is not a winning combination for Illinois State University in my opinion.

Being loyal to players who break rules over and over and over and never demonstrate a team-first attitude or an ability to get other players to buy into a single goal of winning at the expense of everything else is not helpful for ISU.

And so when you combine the D and the A together, you get a C+, which is probably how I would grade Muller overall. And we have gotten C+ results. And for that to change we need Muller to change his mindset to being LOYAL TO THE HIGHEST CHARACTER EVERY DAY AND STOP BEING LOYAL JUST TO BE LOYAL.

Is it loyalty to his players? Because a lot of what I see is "Muller's way or no way". We haven't had many 4 year guys graduate at Illinois State. Is there a reason for this? Just as an example I can't count how many times Muller immediately yanks a player out of the game from a missed assignment or bad throw. And, I have seen him go at it with his coaching staff several times which always looks bad

ISU FAN 1

Trey_Guidry4three said:
V Boy said:

Is it loyalty to his players? Because a lot of what I see is "Muller's way or no way". We haven't had many 4 year guys graduate at Illinois State. Is there a reason for this? Just as an example I can't count how many times Muller immediately yanks a player out of the game from a missed assignment or bad throw. And, I have seen him go at it with his coaching staff several times which always looks bad
Dan has his guys backs, but that doesn’t mean there can’t be teaching moments. Even though it may resemble it at times, it’s not a complete free for all.

Joe_Y

I'm sure he was being loyal when he benched Johnny Hill for a half, suspended Tyler Brown, kicked Geoffrey Allen off the team, etc.

ISU FAN 1

Joe_Y said:
I'm sure he was being loyal when he benched Johnny Hill for a half, suspended Tyler Brown, kicked Geoffrey Allen off the team, etc.

Those were Jank’s guys. No loyalty for them.

Top Bottom