Lovie Smith gets a two year extension with the Illini!

Virginia Redbird

I read with total amazement that the U of I just gave Lovie Smith a two year extension on his contract with the Illini. the first thing that popped into my head was...why? Since details have not been released it may be an adjustment to the buyout if the Illini fired Smith. That buyout now is $12 million according to press reports. I know the Illini have been playing very young players and I assume they expect that will pay off great dividends in the next couple of years but I would not bet the farm on that.
What this does mean is that Lovie will almost certainly be the Illini Head Coach when the Redbirds travel to Champaign in September 2020. Frankly with Lovie as the Illini HC, I think the Redbird's chances of winning this game are much more likely. I think Pat Fitzgerald is a better Head Coach than Lovie and the talent in Evanston is better at this point. Will Lovie be able to recruit better talent in the next couple years? Maybe but a long time bottom of the barrel Big10 doormat will be a hard sell to any top flight talent that has dreams of playing in the NFL. Those players will probably go elsewhere. Lovie is not known for his offensive capability at all. He is a defensive guy and the Illini defense is beyond awful right now. Bringing in Rod Smith as O Coordinator helped the offensive side of the ball quite a bit but the defense gave up 473 points in 12 games, almost 40 points a game.
It may be interesting in Champaign in September 2020.

Adunk33

Staff member
I was excited to hear this... I want Lovie to be the coach when the Birds go up to Champaign in 2020....

fourthandshort

ok so maybe my prediction that Lovie would get the Illini program back on solid footing was a bit off. I haven't followed them at all enough to even generally recognize where he has failed. But I'm going to guess he may have under-estimated how hard recruiting is, and may further have over-estimated (like me) how much his name and reputation would carry much weight on recruiting trails. Lovie had so much support from hi Bears players and they played their arses off for him ..his main issue was the OC and QB position, that and fact that htier GM Angelo allowed their OL to deteriorate after super bowl season and sucked at drsfting offensive talent (other than Hester ... who was a DB).

And so the offense always struggled for consistency, and so in conclusion, i think that ... uh ... oh sh-t ... I lost track ... are we talking about Bears or Redbirds offense ??

Bears .. right, it's in thread title. Ok, so I'm not sure Lovie even wants this job anymore. I'm sure he thought he could turn program around (at least a bowl worthy team) and ride this job off into sunset. Not looking like it anymore .. his credibility may have slipped too far in eyes of HS coaches. It's not like he has a dynamic personality that attracts HS kids (and their coaches/parents) .. I thought his reputation from Bears years would be enough, despite his playoff struggles and his boring (i.e. the Anti-Ditka) press conferences.

Time for next failed idea at U of I football ...

cubird

Extended because of signing period is coming up. Needs more than 2 recruiting classes to turn program around. I am guessing the buyout for the extension won't be anything close to the current contract buyout report at 12 million. Extension still has to be approved by BOT.

Redbird28

Virginia Redbird said:
I read with total amazement that the U of I just gave Lovie Smith a two year extension on his contract with the Illini. the first thing that popped into my head was...why? Since details have not been released it may be an adjustment to the buyout if the Illini fired Smith. That buyout now is $12 million according to press reports. I know the Illini have been playing very young players and I assume they expect that will pay off great dividends in the next couple of years but I would not bet the farm on that.
What this does mean is that Lovie will almost certainly be the Illini Head Coach when the Redbirds travel to Champaign in September 2020. Frankly with Lovie as the Illini HC, I think the Redbird's chances of winning this game are much more likely. I think Pat Fitzgerald is a better Head Coach than Lovie and the talent in Evanston is better at this point. Will Lovie be able to recruit better talent in the next couple years? Maybe but a long time bottom of the barrel Big10 doormat will be a hard sell to any top flight talent that has dreams of playing in the NFL. Those players will probably go elsewhere. Lovie is not known for his offensive capability at all. He is a defensive guy and the Illini defense is beyond awful right now. Bringing in Rod Smith as O Coordinator helped the offensive side of the ball quite a bit but the defense gave up 473 points in 12 games, almost 40 points a game.

They have gotten some solid recruits incoming, but still need 11 more and they are running out of time. The extension was most likely just a way to keep the negative recruiting ("Lovie will be fired, don't go there.") at bay. I doubt it really does much on that front though.

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is how Whitman can think Lovie is still the guy to get this fixed. His style of play does not transfer to the college game. It's fairly obvious. They are running his defensive scheme and his metrics have slipped every year on the defensive side of the ball since his arrival.

I'm also getting sick of hearing about how they had to play all these young guys. They wouldn't have if they hadn't run off all the older guys Odenigbo, Watson, et al. Thankful that Gabe came our way though, so at least we benefited from their shortsighted approach to try to attract more talent. Think, "Come here, you will play." No easier way to fulfill that promise than by running off the guys who should actually be getting the reps.

Virginia Redbird

Redbird28 said:
Virginia Redbird said:

They have gotten some solid recruits incoming, but still need 11 more and they are running out of time. The extension was most likely just a way to keep the negative recruiting ("Lovie will be fired, don't go there.") at bay. I doubt it really does much on that front though.

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is how Whitman can think Lovie is still the guy to get this fixed. His style of play does not transfer to the college game. It's fairly obvious. They are running his defensive scheme and his metrics have slipped every year on the defensive side of the ball since his arrival.

I'm also getting sick of hearing about how they had to play all these young guys. They wouldn't have if they hadn't run off all the older guys Odenigbo, Watson, et al. Thankful that Gabe came our way though, so at least we benefited from their shortsighted approach to try to attract more talent. Think, "Come here, you will play." No easier way to fulfill that promise than by running off the guys who should actually be getting the reps.

Lovie was Whitman's big hire and, for better or worse, he is tied to Lovie no matter how this goes. Especially with a $12 million payout, there was no way Whitman was cutting Lovie loose. Yes, the young players that went with the Illini got playing time and they got it early but they also have been pounded and losing while getting that playing time. I am not certain that translates to solid players in a winning program down the road. I was no Lovie fan when he was with the Bears and his record since has been nothing to impress. Interesting to compare Herm Edwards and the Arizona State program with Lovie and the U of I program. Both were former NFL coaches with their college experience being quite a long time ago. Lovie has had three years and does not look to have made much progress. Herm has had a solid first year and the ASU program seems on the upswing with a big win over rival Arizona this past weekend. Lovie is like staring at a piece of driftwood while Herm is a dynamic type of guy that seems to have been able to reach and motivate the players. Herm also did not attempt to clean house it seems like Lovie did. Granted the ASU program was not as far down as the Illini program but still an interesting comparison.

fourthandshort

Virginia Redbird said:
isuquinndog said:
The beard is failing him.

:lol:

yeah, what is with that. There is no way anyone with that beard looks in that mirror and says, yeah, this is look I'm going for ... this may be proof something is just off with Lovie. Who in their right mind would go out in public with that ???

Although not nearly as bad as David Lettermen's .. that is down right scary .. as in Unabomber Scary. Lovie's is more homeless guy disturbing. But I digress ... again ... it's our offseason already.

Redbird28

fourthandshort said:
Virginia Redbird said:
isuquinndog said:
The beard is failing him.

:lol:

yeah, what is with that. There is no way anyone with that beard looks in that mirror and says, yeah, this is look I'm going for ... this may be proof something is just off with Lovie. Who in their right mind would go out in public with that ???

Although not nearly as bad as David Lettermen's .. that is down right scary .. as in Unabomber Scary. Lovie's is more homeless guy disturbing. But I digress ... again ... it's our offseason already.

Papa Smurf?

fourthandshort

Redbird28 said:
fourthandshort said:
Virginia Redbird said:

Papa Smurf?

whoa ... could be. Though papa smurf clearly grooms that thing, so Lovie's is way worse.

p.s. good one, but I hope you had to google that one !! :D

Hamdonger

Two things you HAVE to do as an A.D.
1. Increase revenue. (ie: raise money.)
2. Hire good staff. (ie: coaches.)

Whitman's no dummy. Heck of a college athlete. Made NFL rosters. Law degree. Hit the fast track on athletics administration and shot to the top for his dream job in a short amount of time. He didn't 'luck' into the job. He's a well-accomplished young man and a stand-up leader.

*He has raised a pile of cash for the dept since he's taken over. I mean a PILE.
*His coaching hires, at the time, appeared to be close to home runs. That is still playing out.

If Lovie doesn't get them to 7 solid wins(5 BT) wins) next year, the donors will start screaming. Loud. And if he lays an egg the following year, he'll be gone no matter the price and Whitman in a very hot seat...unless basketball explodes.

In regards to football, read the Whitman press release. He. Wants. Continuity. I respect what he's doing. BOT will stamp their approval, for Whitman owns them right now. 9 figures buys you alot of credibility.

Hamdonger

I think the beard has its own contract or something. Redbird28 you owned it!

Virginia Redbird

Humdinger said:

Whitman's no dummy. Heck of a college athlete. Made NFL rosters. Law degree. Hit the fast track on athletics administration and shot to the top for his dream job in a short amount of time. He didn't 'luck' into the job. He's a well-accomplished young man and a stand-up leader.

*He has raised a pile of cash for the dept since he's taken over. I mean a PILE.
*His coaching hires, at the time, appeared to be close to home runs. That is still playing out.

If Lovie doesn't get them to 7 solid wins(5 BT) wins) next year, the donors will start screaming. Loud. And if he lays an egg the following year, he'll be gone no matter the price and Whitman in a very hot seat...unless basketball explodes.

In regards to football, read the Whitman press release. He. Wants. Continuity. I respect what he's doing. BOT will stamp their approval, for Whitman owns them right now. 9 figures buys you alot of credibility.

I don't know how hiring Lovie would be considered a home run. It got a lot of press at the time of the hire and there was the Bears connection but also a lot of speculation on his potential to bring a winning program to U of I. No significant college record and his pro record was mediocre at best (one Super Bowl appearance is the real claim to fame). The Illini 2019 schedule includes home games against Nebraska, Michigan, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Rutgers. Road games to Purdue, Michigan State, Iowa and MInnesota. I don't see 5 likely Big 10 wins on that schedule.
Continuity does not automatically equate to success. Marvin Lewis has been the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals for 16 years and is 0-7 in the playoffs. Yes, the Bengals were bad before his arrival and he took them to the playoffs 5 straight years. But 16 years without one playoff win? Continuity but not success unless you consider success just making the playoffs. Having said all that, I would not advocate firing Lovie at this point. I think a college coach needs to have at least 4-5 years to recruit his guys and bring them through his system. At the same time Lovie has had three years and his team gave up 63 points to Penn State; 46 to Purdue; 49 to Wisconsin; 63 to Maryland; 54 to Nebraska and 63 to Iowa last season. This from the coach who is supposed to be a defensive guru. Lovie's selection for defensive coordinator had better be a home run. That unit needs massive help.
I don't know anything about Whitman. Never heard of him until he was hired as the AD. It sounds like he is doing a great job fund raising and of course you cant change coaches like you change your socks and expect to succeed. Kudos to him for having patience with the football program. Still, I think he needs basketball to explode.

jbird

The "be patient," "growing pains while rebuilding with underclassmen" rationale made some sense at first, BUT now I see freshman QBs on other teams leading their teams to bowl-eligible status and a freshman running back rushing for 300 yards against the illini. If other teams' underclassmen are better than YOUR underclassmen, why should there be any confidence in the next 2-3 seasons?

Don't get me wrong..........I'm not complaining about the illini's plight.

Actually thought it was a pretty good move. Just maybe poor timing after the Iowa debacle. I'm not an Illini hater. My wife's an alum, and I watch quite a few of their games. Their defense has definitely been awful, but they've been making steady improvement overall. Offense was actually pretty exciting to watch this year (again, aside from the Iowa game).

He's got a VERY solid recruiting class coming in next year, has developed ties to St. Louis area which is loaded with talent the next few years, and big plans for new football facility, so I get the continuity angle.

Not saying he's going to be "The Guy", but I think he's given them a LITTLE bit of stability. Next year will be a very telling season as all of the 63,045 freshman he played a couple of years ago will now be upperclassmen. They need to see the "play the young guys" strategy start to pay off. They also will need a QB as I believe Bush was a senior. Incoming Frosh from STL is a stud, but not sure he'll be the answer right away.

Either way, Go Birds!

vbird

BallwinBird2012 said:
Actually thought it was a pretty good move. Just maybe poor timing after the Iowa debacle. I'm not an Illini hater. My wife's an alum, and I watch quite a few of their games. Their defense has definitely been awful, but they've been making steady improvement overall. Offense was actually pretty exciting to watch this year (again, aside from the Iowa game).

He's got a VERY solid recruiting class coming in next year, has developed ties to St. Louis area which is loaded with talent the next few years, and big plans for new football facility, so I get the continuity angle.

Not saying he's going to be "The Guy", but I think he's given them a LITTLE bit of stability. Next year will be a very telling season as all of the 63,045 freshman he played a couple of years ago will now be upperclassmen. They need to see the "play the young guys" strategy start to pay off. They also will need a QB as I believe Bush was a senior. Incoming Frosh from STL is a stud, but not sure he'll be the answer right away.

Either way, Go Birds!

As of now, Lovie’s recruiting class is ranked 12th out 14 teams in the Big 10.

Reggie Redbird

Humdinger said:

His hire of Lovie could have been really good, but Lovie hurt himself hint a staff with very few people with college coaching experience, especially recent experience. Things are different than what they were 10-15 years ago and guys with 2-3 years of experience, if that, aren't going to cut it.

Not tha their fans will focus on their WBB coach, but she screams of when Zenger was hired by KU. They needed someone with a squeaky clean past to come in. I just don't see her succeeding there. It will be interesting to see they perform in conference because they're playing a non-con schedule like Pingeton has done at Mizzou most years. Essentially what the Illini FB team does too. .

chuckie1980

Years 2021, 2022 and 2023 buyout news....

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2018-12-15/smiths-revised-contract-drops-buyout-cost-1-million-2021.html

Top Bottom