fourthandshort

Current Roster lists 6 WRs ... 2 SR, 1 JR, 2 SO, 1 RS FR:

2 Patterson, Kentre 6-1 195 WR So. East Lansing, Mich. / East Lansing
11 Schnell, Spencer5-9 180 WR Sr. Elkhart, Ind. / Elkhart
13 Haley, Braxton 6-1 190 WR Jr. Athens, Ga. / Monsignor Donovan Catholic HS
18 Hadden, Jr., Antonio 6-2 210 WR So. Fort Pierce, Fla. / Fort Pierce Central
83 Biegalski, Matt 6-2 215 WR Sr. Winfield, Ill. / Wheaton North
84 Edgar, Andrew 6-0 180 WR R-Fr. Chicago, Ill. / St. Patrick

FBS/Juco Transfers include 2 .. I think Haley was here for spring ball, 1 JR, 1 SR

Braxton Haley 6'1 185 WR Jr. Monsignor Donovan HS, Athens, GA (Dodge City JC, KS) .. on roster above, so counted twice
Jordan Fuchs 6'6 230 WR Sr. Christ the King HS, Queens, NY (Indiana Univ, IU-East)

HS recruits coming in August include 7 listed at WR:

Tristan Bailey 6'3 185 WR Columbus North HS, IN
Austin Nagel 6'1 170 WR Lemont HS, IL
Stephen Halusan 6'3 205 WR New Berlin Eisenhower, WI
Charles Woods 6'1 170 WR/DB Kimball HS, Dallas, TX
Eric Rogers 6'3 190 WR East St. Louis HS, IL
EJ Smoot 6'1 180 WR Beggs HS, OK
Taylor Grimes 5'11 170 WR Godley HS, TX

That makes 14 WRs .. half true FR, half upper classmen.

Pick your 2 (or 3) deep, assuming 3 WR sets ( X and Z wideouts, and a slot receiver), plus TE

1st team: Haley, Hadden, Schnell, Petkovich
2nd team: Patterson, Fuchs, Edgar, Gillum
3rd team: Biegalski and 2 true FR TBD, TE Taula

I think we will have enough to keep defenses honest, enough , especially with OC Beathard in charge .. but you can bet defenses will be stacking the box against us until we prove we can execute pass game ... balanced play calling, running routes, QBa and WRs both making right reads, then passing and catching, and good ole YAC. I like our chances this fall.

Chi-bird

Obviously I don't know nearly as much as the staff about the players, but I can't help but think that Jordan Birch needs to be given a shot as a receiving target. Otherwise, I'm wondering if linebacker is an option. I'm not sure of his mentality as a player, but I don't see him getting the snaps at running back.

Adunk33

Staff member
After the track season Kentre had... I expect a breakout football season for the kid too. You can't teach fast.

StLRedbird

Sounds like you see this group as at least capable. We do need them to be that or more

fourthandshort

StLRedbird said:
Sounds like you see this group as at least capable. We do need them to be that or more

just trying to be realistic and temper my expectations. But I think they just need to be decent given our run game should keep defenses in the box. I mean I doubt teams will be game planning to shut our WRs down .. focus will be all on Robinson, Smith, & Birch; plus i have confidence OC Beathard will know how to gameplan each week and make the necessary in game adjustments. So our pass game could surprise us .. Kolbe might find his confidence again under OC Beathard .. all of this could translate to WRs doing just enough to keep defenses more honest.

TIMMY

YOCOOO......................X
........H......Z
... Q...R

Can't catch a cold? Screw it. Broadnax at QB. Run single wing. Make some chicken salad. Noboby knows how to stop it. Run power, read option and some rpo's. Woof woof! :mrgreen:

StLRedbird

Does this group have the speed to make a secondary respect a deep threat?

Total Red

Staff member
StLRedbird said:

Patterson might have the most speed but at the scrimmage Saturday he dropped a pass from Kolbe that him in the hands on a crossing route.

Schnell will be a threat short and long. He can also catch it short and run long. After him it gets dicey.
Going back to the spring I think Haley has shown as much consistency as anyone so he might start at one WR. After that I like Biegalski. He has good hands and he can block. He's 220 so it's almost like having another TE and we want to run the ball. Edgar can play WR but they may want him to take over the slot next year. Patterson should also play. Then I think we're looking at freshmen. Grimes and Nagel might play more than 4 games and give up their redshirts.

crazzymark

Total Red said:
StLRedbird said:

Patterson might have the most speed but at the scrimmage Saturday he dropped a pass from Kolbe that him in the hands on a crossing route.

Schnell will be a threat short and long. He can also catch it short and run long. After him it gets dicey.
Going back to the spring I think Haley has shown as much consistency as anyone so he might start at one WR. After that I like Biegalski. He has good hands and he can block. He's 220 so it's almost like having another TE and we want to run the ball. Edgar can play WR but they may want him to take over the slot next year. Patterson should also play. Then I think we're looking at freshmen. Grimes and Nagel might play more than 4 games and give up their redshirts.

Wasn't Patterson an ALL-AMERICAN sprinter in the spring?

fourthandshort

My worry with this group is no one after Schnell is battle tested.
Which brings me to the smartest thing Mike Tyson ever said
... everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face . Even if we have some young talent at WR, how will they respond to adversity and season long grind and beating playing in MVFC. Hope a couple step up .. was hoping Hadden was the up and come this year .. not so.

But need a deep threat, even if just average receiver skills. Then need to use Petkovic and TEs .. been way too quiet on that front this summer.

They dont need to be world beaters just solid enough to keep defenses a little honest.

ISUBU

Total Red said:
Even if he doesn't have the best hands, they're going to have to cover him. If nothing else he can draw some attention.

DannyCooksey

With proven depth lacking at WR it makes me wonder if we may see more 2 TE schemes. My apologies if someone already said that.

Chi-bird

Someone will step up. No clue who, but I’m hoping that we air it out early vs St. X- even if we can run on them all day. We ain’t going places without a good passing attach.

Adunk33

Staff member
Chi-bird said:
Someone will step up. No clue who, but I’m hoping that we air it out early vs St. X- even if we can run on them all day. We ain’t going places without a good passing attach.

My bet goes to Braxton Haley

Birdswin

Andrew Edgar, Braxton Haley and Spencer Schnell - the starting receivers.

fourthandshort

Interesting .. went small, so probably went with best route runners and hands. Already willing to burn one WR redshirt. My main concern is Edgar is smaller than Schnell .. but I'm presuming they picked these guys because they are the most proficient and technically sound. If we're considering burning another WR redshirt, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the East St Louis kid later in season .. he's 6'4" .. looks the part, but guessing he is raw or he would have been recruited harder because he had decent numbers in HS.

Total Red

Staff member
I agree with fourth. They didn't pick the biggest or fastest WR's and maybe not the best blockers but Haley and Edgar should be able to run good routes and they're making most of the catches. I think we'll see various position groups utilized with variable numbers of receivers, TE's and sometimes a FB and other times not. Might even see Kielbasa in an upback or H-back role (hope so). I think we'll see 3 receivers on the field quite a bit. That doesn't necessarily mean that we will throw a lot. As Isubu reminds us the defense has to follow each receiver so Beathard can spread the field and create running lanes for Smith/Robinson. Or Davis can throw. Or Davis can keep it and run. Offense Happens

minor note Edgar is listed at 6'0 190, Schnell 5'9 180

fourthandshort

Hmmm .. good catch on Edgar. His hudl profile had him at 167 lbs . Just looked at my original post with roster stats .. they had him at just 180 when he first showed up this summer .. makes me wonder if he his physically a late bloomer.

cpacmel

fourthandshort said:

https://twitter.com/Pg_Reinhardt/status/1049733167521902592

MadBird

cpacmel said:
fourthandshort said:

https://twitter.com/Pg_Reinhardt/status/1049733167521902592

Geez, I hope no one digs up my post from pre-season where I pointed to Patterson as a potential guy to emerge at WR!! :oops:

I have faith in our new WR coach to get after it in recruiting, but that doesn't help for this year. Unless his couple of freshman guys are ready to go if we need them (Rogers from E.St.Louis, Grimes, hasn't he been injured?; Nagel; Halusan).

Top Bottom