Let's Talk About MY Defense

GhostofMBA

Said James Harden....never.

Harden is a genius. He does not pick up dumb fouls and he gets to stay in the game longer. If MY plays extremely aggressive defense and picks up two, then sits the bench for the entire first half. Picks up four, and sits until 3 minutes left in the game. Can MY average 35+ minutes a night and exerts his energy on offense while laying low on defense to catch a blow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_HxVuFJZeI

Bird Friend

I think this was what got him in trouble with Dan earlier this year.

GhostofMBA

Bird Friend said:
Of course it did. It is one of the reasons why the "modern" game of the last 4+ years has already passed Dan by. MY is is currently at 52% for 2, 46% for 3, and his DRBs are up over the previous year, and you want him to take fouls or risk receiving fouls on defense? Sorry, but I will take MY with the rise in 2PT, 3PT, and DRBs up over the previous year if it means he kind of "floats" around on defense to stay out of foul trouble while hauling in 35+ mins a game.

Like Chip Kelley said during his college FB coaching career, why worry about our defense, we will just outscore the opponents.

Bird Friend

GhostofMBA said:
Bird Friend said:
Of course it did. It is one of the reasons why the "modern" game of the last 4+ years has already passed Dan by. MY is is currently at 52% for 2, 46% for 3, and his DRBs are up over the previous year, and you want him to take fouls or risk receiving fouls on defense? Sorry, but I will take MY with the rise in 2PT, 3PT, and DRBs up over the previous year if it means he kind of "floats" around on defense to stay out of foul trouble while hauling in 35+ mins a game.

Like Chip Kelley said during his college FB coaching career, why worry about our defense, we will just outscore the opponents.

First, I was just pointing out that MY tried this path on his own and was called out for it. Second, I just want to win. Third, it's still a team game and adding fouls elsewhere could be just as damaging. Finally, Dan's the one you need to talk to about "protecting" MY . . .

Redbirdfan21

I am not saying this because we have been short handed and foul prone this year, but the NCAA really needs to think about allowing 6 fouls before fouling out. With how closely they are calling it with hand checks, the "invading space" or whatever they are calling now, and the hook and hold, foul trouble is more and more prevalent. No one wants to watch a game with stars on the bench in foul trouble...

redbirdron1

Great data Ghost on MY. Yes, he's gotta b on the floor.

Defense - do you guys think Muller thinks about D when he recruits? I know Muller has stated he can
teach kids to shoot for the most part. That's not a blanket confirmation as we know with a player or 2 but with the
likes of Paris and Tony Wills it worked pretty well as you look at their progression over their careers. So if you go after
hard nose guys focusing on the Defensive end vs the long athlete - maybe that's what he's missing on the identity factor.

So, as mentioned before - you've got to have 4 year guys. They have to have the D mindset coming in with the pride factor and b
a real coachable kid to learn the shooting techniques. The PG from NC is said to be like Paris in that way so only 12 guys to go to build
a tough roster.

Just frustrated with this group as I was so hopeful an excellent team. I know, we'll gel and all that but really - we can't guard anybody so
it's hard for me to believe its a group that has much of a chance on MVC Sunday....if we get there.

Sorry for turning the direction of this post from MY but the D thing really has me concerned.....now and moving forward.

GhostofMBA

Redbirdfan21 said:
With how closely they are calling it with hand checks, the "invading space" or whatever they are calling now, and the hook and hold, foul trouble is more and more prevalent. No one wants to watch a game with stars on the bench in foul trouble...
I believe most fouls happen on defense, especially with the recent rule changes. I am not understanding the idea of why you would want the MVC's most leathal and explosive offensive weapon, aka Yarbs, to play in your face bulldog defense making it easier for a referee to whistle you for a foul, easier to get an injury, or easier to gas out sooner when you need him for that final stretch to close out a game.

GhostofMBA

redbirdron1 said:
Great data Ghost on MY. Yes, he's gotta b on the floor.

Defense - do you guys think Muller thinks about D when he recruits? I know Muller has stated he can
teach kids to shoot for the most part. That's not a blanket confirmation as we know with a player or 2 but with the
likes of Paris and Tony Wills it worked pretty well as you look at their progression over their careers. So if you go after
hard nose guys focusing on the Defensive end vs the long athlete - maybe that's what he's missing on the identity factor.

So, as mentioned before - you've got to have 4 year guys. They have to have the D mindset coming in with the pride factor and b
a real coachable kid to learn the shooting techniques. The PG from NC is said to be like Paris in that way so only 12 guys to go to build
a tough roster.

Just frustrated with this group as I was so hopeful an excellent team. I know, we'll gel and all that but really - we can't guard anybody so
it's hard for me to believe its a group that has much of a chance on MVC Sunday....if we get there.

Sorry for turning the direction of this post from MY but the D thing really has me concerned.....now and moving forward.
Ron, I recall after an ISU/BU match in Peoria and driving back listening to the BU post game show (I was with BU grads at the time) and one of their star offensive players talked about how he never really focused on defense in HS and it took a few years for him to learn it. It appears to me that Muller takes the best long athletes he can get to commit to ISU. To me it appears that these athletes are just "athleting" their way through hoops to get to this level and have not really developed a real basketball game along the way.

My frustration has been more with the "tweener" guys Muller has been picking up. These young men seem to be more concerned about showing that they have the outside game for the NBA level rather than wanting to be a dominate collegiate player playing closer to the basket. It does go back to why we jack up so many 3's, because we have recruited many players who want to show they have that range to any NBA scout that happens to watch.

Top Bottom