Let's have some good memories because that's all we have.

Brick

Ricky Johnson dunking on Benoit Benjamin in MVC semifinals in Horton. The best I ever saw!

AllFacts

We tried one a couple of games ago. Don't recall a successful one
Yes, Horne to Washington, missed on the flush(timing a bit off), however had it gone down would have been spectacular!!! That Washington kid is going to force in the MVC!!!

Redbird222

Yes, Horne to Washington, missed on the flush(timing a bit off), however had it gone down would have been spectacular!!! That Washington kid is going to force in the MVC!!!
Liked Washington on hander jam against Drake. Washington is super high energy. He is all over the place on the zone.

Adunk33

Staff member

Man. I really believe that team was going to the Sweet 16 if they won that game.

Ranking the MVC championship losses teams based on memory and no statistical backing
2012 (Lost in OT to Creighton. That was the first of 3-straight OT games. Lost at Stanford by 4 in the second round of the NIT)
2009 (lost to UNI. Lost to K-State in the first round of the NIT...in OT)
2017 (Pummeled by Wichita State and then.....you know what happened in the NIT)
2015 (Gave up massive lead to No. 11 UNI after beating No. 8 Wichita State. Lost to Old Dominion by 1 in the second round of the NIT)
2008 (Pummeled by Drake who went on to get a 5-seed and lose to WKU. Birds lost in the second round of the NIT to Dayton)
2018 (Pummeled by Loyola who went to the Final 4. No post-season play. Classic case of getting hot at the right time and that anything can and will happen in STL. Birds beat SIU in OT in the semi's. One of the harder fought games in recent memory. Fayne was a monster 26 points, 9 boards, 3 blocks, in 35 minutes.)

Fun trip down memory lane. Lots of heartbreak and quiet trips back to BloNo after a Sunday afternoon loss in STL. As I look at the way I ranked these teams, I realize that personally, this is also the order of the toughest losses for me, as a fan. I look forward to the days where that level of heartbreak can return and hopefully at some point we get over the hump.

Redbirdwarrior

I was at ISU during the Osiris era.

I don't really care if we end up having a Naismith POY at some point at ISU, Osiris Eldridge will forever be my favorite player. There were more games in his career that he was by far the best player on the floor than not. He had that high arcing shot and would never even sniff the rim before hitting the net and could jump out of the gym.

He made the Sportscenter top ten 3 or 4 times while he was at ISU.

Redbirdwarrior

Fun fact about NCAA Basketball 10, where Osiris is the only player on the team rated higher than 75 at like 77. He does not miss from 3 hardly anywhere but is completely unable to dunk for some reason. The game was made his senior year and OE had established himself as one of the best jumpers in the country. EA dropped the ball on that.

Top Bottom