Kolbe

Adunk33

Staff member
Good news from the Jake Kolbe front. He has been named a semifinalist for the 2018 William V. Campbell Trophy, which recognizes an individual as the absolute best football scholar-athlete in the nation.

https://goredbirds.com/news/2018/9/26/football-kolbe-named-semifinalist-for-nff-william-v-campbell-trophy.aspx

This man is going to do great things. It may not be playing football but it could be coaching or any other industry he wants. He is the epitome of being a Redbird. Hard work all the time and no praise needed. Good for Jake.

fourthandshort

good for him .. class act. Still hoping he gets a shot to show what he can do with this whole new offense under Beathard.

Total Red

Staff member
The funny thing about the Brady Davis "Whatever IT is this kid has it" comment by Coach Spack is that he once said the same thing about Jake Kolbe and he was right. Jake does have "IT".

fourthandshort

Jake's "it" is lot more about out-working everyone and just a single-minded instictive determination to help his team win any way he can. I've mentioned this before .. there are a couple of long runs from scrimmage that got pushed outside and go for 60+ yards .. you'll see in the highlights that Jake Kolbe beats the RB down field (he went straight down filed after handoff), while RB had to bounce it outside .. well 2 different times that I noticed this happen in replay highlight, Jake was 50+ yards down field blocking someone. Would bet money his coach would rather he not do that. But this is the guy who led his HS team to state championship playing 8A in Dupage Valley .... the best conference in IHSA by far at the time.

TIMMY

Jake is a great kid. I think there's total consensus on that. Great award, great honor. He's also a class act under difficult circumstances.

So at this point in the season, what would need to happen for him getting a shot? I can only think of 2 things and I don't like either.

Adunk33

Staff member
TIMMY said:
So at this point in the season, what would need to happen for him getting a shot? I can only think of 2 things and I don't like either.

This Davis-Kolbe thing kind of reminds me what is going on at Clemson. A multi-year starter got benched and lost the starting job to a freshman. Everything I've read says the veteran did everything he was asked, did everything right, but just lost the job to someone better. So far, it appears Kolbe did the same. He didn't do anything wrong, he just got beat. Character is a fantastic quality to have, but it probably takes a back seat to talent.

The coaches have seen him run the Bethard offense in practice and have seen enough to give Davis the starts. I hope we are in a bunch of games (@Mo State, SIU, @Indy State, and Youngstown State) where we have a big enough lead in the third or fourth quarter for Kolbe to get some snaps. I'm not trying to suggest Kolbe is ONLY capable of mop up time, just from what I've seen I'm not sure we should take snaps away from Davis unless Davis regresses significantly or needs to see something from the sideline. I would not be surprised to see Kolbe for a few snaps in the NDSU and SDSU games if Davis gets overwhelmed.

fourthandshort

The question of whether Kolbe "lost" the starting job was not real clear at end of camp ... particularly after I posted the camp stats below on the QB competition thread. Some posters then marveled at how much better Davis did in final scrimmage compared to Kolbe. Many people wanted to believ Davis was clearly outplaying Kolbe in August camp heading into final scrimmage, when Davis was pronounced starter, and lead 1st string offense against 2nd string defense. Kolbe, just learning he was demoted, had to lead the 2nd string offense against the 1st string defense .. and for first time all camp, he played poorly.

The response to these camp results then became the whole "it" factor and his alleged running skills and how much more of a threat he was to run and keep defenses honest. Well in 3 games, he has 5 carries for 14 yards, with no negative carrier since he's never been sacked. Give him credit for feeling the pocket, but he is playing behind a much improved (and healthier) OL than Kolbe had in 2017 ... he's had very little pressure in our first 3 games .. lot of credit to spread all around on that stat.

But Kolbe did not "lose" the starting position. The coaches decided to bet on Davis's upside .. and so far it looks really good. Except we haven't played any tough defenses yet .. and who knows what Kolbe could do under this much improved offense.

But here were the only published stats from August camp, heading into final scrimmage. He didn't :lose" the starting job. They "gave" the job to Davis because they believe he has more upside.

old post below ********************************

Kolbe

4. 13-18 for 132 yards
5. 12-17 for 121 yards
6. 15-21 for 148 yards
Total. 40-56 for 401 yards, 71% completion rate and 7.2 yards per attempt

Davis

4. 5-12 for 98 yards
5. 9-15 for 109 yards
6. 9-21 for 86 yards
Total. 23-48 for 293 yards, 48% completion rate and 6.1 yards per attempt

So Kolbe has certainly out-passed Davis so far when they were counting stats. Written reports suggest Davis has shown more running skills. But reports also indicate Davis has more picks.

At this point, I have to believe Kolbe has done enough to retain his starting position, but there is more camp to be played. But given our run game and OL, my money is still on Kolbe.

fourthandshort

fourthandshort said:
The question of whether Kolbe "lost" the starting job was not real clear at end of camp ... particularly after I posted the camp stats below on the QB competition thread. Some posters then marveled at how much better Davis did in final scrimmage compared to Kolbe. Many people wanted to believ Davis was clearly outplaying Kolbe in August camp heading into final scrimmage, when Davis was pronounced starter, and lead 1st string offense against 2nd string defense. Kolbe, just learning he was demoted, had to lead the 2nd string offense against the 1st string defense .. and for first time all camp, he played poorly.

The response to these camp results then became the whole "it" factor and his alleged running skills and how much more of a threat he was to run and keep defenses honest. Well in 3 games, he has 5 carries for 14 yards, with no negative carrier since he's never been sacked. Give him credit for feeling the pocket, but he is playing behind a much improved (and healthier) OL than Kolbe had in 2017 ... he's had very little pressure in our first 3 games .. lot of credit to spread all around on that stat.

But Kolbe did not "lose" the starting position. The coaches decided to bet on Davis's upside .. and so far it looks really good. Except we haven't played any tough defenses yet .. and who knows what Kolbe could do under this much improved offense.

But here were the only published stats from August camp, heading into final scrimmage. He didn't :lose" the starting job. They "gave" the job to Davis because they believe he has more upside.

old post below ********************************

Kolbe

4. 13-18 for 132 yards
5. 12-17 for 121 yards
6. 15-21 for 148 yards
Total. 40-56 for 401 yards, 71% completion rate and 7.2 yards per attempt

Davis

4. 5-12 for 98 yards
5. 9-15 for 109 yards
6. 9-21 for 86 yards
Total. 23-48 for 293 yards, 48% completion rate and 6.1 yards per attempt

So Kolbe has certainly out-passed Davis so far when they were counting stats. Written reports suggest Davis has shown more running skills. But reports also indicate Davis has more picks.

At this point, I have to believe Kolbe has done enough to retain his starting position, but there is more camp to be played. But given our run game and OL, my money is still on Kolbe.

that said, I do accept and understand the coaches decision, even while not agreeing with it. And I do still cheer for Davis to make plays regardless. At same time, I hope Kolbe gets a chance ... simply because he's earned it.

StLRedbird

I didn't like Roberson taking Winklers job. Wasn't sure I was on board with Davis over Kolbe yet, but the CSU game changed my mind. Those touch passes Davis missed? Kolbe is only a little more likely to make those passes, IMO. Whereas Davis is a lot more like to throw the dart or bomb. I also hope Kolbe gets a chance this season in meaningful situations.

ChiRedbird1

Here is Brady’s high school bio below. You mention Kolbe’s high school competition, well our new stud lead the 14th ranked team in the COUNTRY and was the state of Mississippi’s offensive player of the year his senior year. No offense to IL but Mississippi football is big time. He played against far better competition and had far better stats...

“Played his final prep season at Starkville High School for head coach Jamie Mitchell ... Transferred to Starkville from New Hope High School, where he played his junior season in 2013 ... Named the 2014 Mississippi High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) Class 6A Offensive Player of the Year … Other 2014 honors included: The Clarion Ledger All-State first team, The Columbus Dispatch’s Large Schools Offensive Player of the Year and The Clarion-Ledger’s Best of MSPreps team … Also a Clarion Ledger Best of MSPreps Football Player of the Year finalist … Threw for 3,417 yards and 42 TD his senior campaign … Helped lead Starkville High School to 13-straight wins before falling to eventual MHSAA Class 6A state champion South Panola in the North State title game … Helped lead the Yellow Jackets to a the MHSAA Class 6A/Region 2 crown ... Starkville High School climbed as high as No. 14 in the 2014 national poll … Recognized by USA Today High School Sports with its All-USA Performance of the Week honor after completing 21-of-32 passes for 411 yards and six TD to lead the Yellow Jackets to a 52-29 win over Oxford, which, at the time, was the top-ranked team in the state of Mississippi … Played for Mississippi in the annual Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Game … Completed his first 11 passes for 123 yards and three TD ... Finished the all-star game with 158 passing yards ... As a junior at New Hope High School, passed for 2,626 yards and 23 TD … In a contests against West Point, passed for 506 yards and six TD.”

Sanantoniobird

fourth, I appreciate you holding a torch for Kolbe (on every FB forum, lol), but I understand this eye test, “it” factor. When we were in a hole last year, did you have the feeling we were gonna come out of a 3rd and long? Well, me neither. Not like this year. I think Kolbe, behind our OL would prob be doing just as well, but you look at Davis’ confidence, long ball, and potentially 3 year eligibility...I think I make the same call. Plus, he swoops in, and is nearly, if not as good as what we have? I’d gamble to say that the pressure was prob pretty high for Davis, even in the opener, since (according to Brock) we had 2 starters-enough miscues, and the switch would have easily been made. Our situation is so nice two have two high caliber QBs right now! I’m thinking of (and long for) Kolbe vs Iowa coming in and throwing for 2 TDs, with high precision. I have no doubt he will be ready.

ekeyfanclub

Biggest difference to me between Kolbe and Davis is that Davis looks comfortable in the pocket and Kolbe doesn't.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

fourthandshort

It's all good .. someone started a thread on Kolbe so i posted my same thoughts here as I've posted elsewhere. But it was interesting for me how people were taken aback when I first posted the August stats heading into final scrimmage ... several people noticed. I couldn't help but think people were getting carried away with "it" factor and simply wanted to believe Davis had won the job .. I don't believe that was the case.

Kolbe's a senior who has worked his tail off, and had a very promising SO season. But he couldn't overcome all the headwind his JR year, some of it is on him. But much of it not really his undoing, but the entire's offense's undoing in every phase except maybe our RBs. In that sense, he didn't get a fair short and the JR season baggage was mostly hung on him. I am pretty sure Kolbe would be doing quite well with ALL the positive changes since we fired the OC and 2 or 3 other offensive coaches.

But please understand ... I accept the coaches decision, and still root for Davis and entire offense. And in most cases, I 100% get we want to pick the right QB that gives us bets chance to make make playoffs and then make a playoff run. But if we were talking about any other position, they would be splitting up the reps and other teams have done similar. Kolbe has earned reps when a game counts. As an athlete, I think most people get that .. though I get the QB position is different and platooning is not a preferred approach unless necessary.

All is good in Redbird Nation ... let's beat MoST.

Sanantoniobird

Football is a game of ego and confidence. You mess with flow and momentum, you mess with success. Pretty sure this is the issue in Fort Collins. Why pull the guy who scored on us? You mess with what was working. QB is different than switching out Ends. Those guys were in interviews talking like they didn’t even see the switch coming, cuz he was playing well. That’s bad team mojo.
I wasn’t surprised; due to last year whether you hang that on Kolbe or not, as soon as Davis arrived it was Davis’ to lose.

TIMMY

4th I know you're a stat guy and I appreciate that. But incomplete practice stats. are next to worthless in evaluating anything. Even complete stats don't tell you drops, poor routes, who you're on the field with etc. In most college practices 1's go against 2's. Coaches make mistakes just like everyone else, but they're the only one's who see the complete picture. My eyes glaze over when I see stats like that.

Top Bottom