Kolbe or Broadnax?

Southbound

Don't think it matters. Oline isn't average in any facet of the game. NDSU will get the stops when the need them and more. But if I had to answer, 3 running backs is better than 2.

TreRoberson4Heisman

MB.

Weather is calling for rain Saturday. Ground and pound all day.

Good weather for ISU, IMO b/c it will be more difficult for Stick to throw around the yard.

Adunk33

Staff member
I like the idea of both. Have sets where it's a Shot gun with Malachi, Jake and James all in the backfield. Lots of options there.

Total Red

Staff member
Kolbe. He gives us a more balanced offense. Broadnax only threw for 102 yards against SDSU and he has to learn to protect that ball better - one fumble and two passes that could have been intercepted. Broadnax is actually ahead of where I thought he would be at this time and he has a great future but right now Kolbe gives us the best chance of winning.

fourthandshort

Forecast matters in this matter .. game time is noon, forecast varies around high is 46/47 with WSW winds of 17 or NW winds of 23, gusts to 30, with 50% chance of rain. Only good news is that previous night low is 41 or 43, so noon kickoff should be around 45 .. but very windy with chance of rain.

With that much wind, chance of rain, and cold ... ball security is huge, and be a able to throw some too. NDSU will stack the box in weather like this, making us much more predictable if Broadnax takes all the reps like he did against SDSU ... with that in mind ...

Start Kolbe if he is healthy .. but both should get lot of reps:

Kolbe 50-60%
Broadnax 30-40%
Both on field 10-20%

Otherwise better have a good run game plan .. ground and pound, with read options threats, and sprinkle in enough passes to keep their LBers and Safeties honest.

Other key ... Kolbe MUST be allowed to run on read options .. just tell him to avoid big hits and take slides once he gets 1st downs - he tends to take too many hits the few times he has run ... there are no games left if we lose .. Kolbe must run a couple times to keep them honest.

Virginia Redbird

Weather will likely be a factor but I would start Kolbe. Broadnax gets a good amount of playing time possibly but Kolbe I still feel gives the Birds the best chance to win. SDSU did not have a clue that Broadnax would be the starting QB and they did not have the opportunity to prepare. You have to factor that into the strong performance against the Jacks. NDSU will have a chance to prepare for either QB and to me that is a big factor in the decision. NDSU is a solid football program and they are incredibly consistent. They prepare probably better than any team in the MVC and there will be no surprise this week for the Bison as there was last week with the Jacks. The rainy weather I don't think helps Broadnax's case at all. Solid runner but his passing skills are very weak at best. Toss in a wet slick ball and I would expect that passing capability and ball security to be even weaker. I like having both of them on the field from time to time and think the Birds could do that more often. I like the Redbird run game a lot but if all you do is run I would expect the Bison to shut that down and dare you to pass. With Kolbe at QB I think the pass, even in bad weather, is more of a threat the Bison would have to contend with. If the Bison get ahead on the scoreboard I think the Redbirds are in big trouble regardless of who the QB is because the strength of the team is not passing and the Bison still have a solid run game themselves that can chew up clock time, maintain possession and score. Regardless of who starts for ISU, the best QB on the field will without a doubt be Stick. The defense needs to contain the Bison offense and hope the Redbird offense can pick up some first downs and score. I don't expect Coach Spack will make an announcement on the starting QB just to keep the Bison off balance up until game time. I am going to be watching to see just who lines up behind center to begin the game.
One thing we know now is there is no clear cut starting QB for the Redbirds. I don't see that as a good thing for a team. It will be interesting to see how the coaching staff handles that. One thing for certain, I said a couple weeks ago that I did not think Kolbe is a lock to start in 2018. I think we now can say for sure that the spring will be a spirited battle at QB and I am not certain either Kolbe or Broadnax comes out the starter in the fall. There is a Freshman QB lurking in the background who may be heavily in the mix next year. It will be a very interesting spring camp at the very least.

SteveO

I would expect Kolbe to start and use the run option aggressively. He needs to show he has this ability in order to have a leg up on starting for 2018. Broadnax needs to show that he can be more accurate in his passing. If he can prove that, he will start in 2018. He comes across as more confident and definitely more athletic than Kolbe. We have seen some really strong quarterbacks this year that expose Kolbe's weaknesses when compared.

fourthandshort

weather is looking worse .. wind, chance of rain, temps dropping .. to me, this means we should see even more of Kolbe-Broadnax on field at same time, along with lot of 2 TE formations with just 2 WRs.

We need to be as unpredictable as we can in running the ball 75% of time against this Bison defense .. with both teams liking to run ball and bad weather .... not a lot of plays ... so 60 plays each way means 45 runs with 15 passes .. so obviously need to pick our spots passing .. that is where Kolbe-Broadnax combo threat comes into play.

Also agree Kolbe needs to keep the ball more often than he normally does on read-options and draws .. just don't take too many direct hits ... sliding is very smart once you get the yards needed for play.

X Factor for NDSU offense is injured stud RB Dunn's replacement ... RB #28 Brooks .. he emerged quickly after Dunn went down. He is undersized 5'9" 180 lbs. He was their change of pace guy, but is now their top guy and can move .. 42 carries for 426 yards for season .. so 10 yards per carry. But he was an unknown until recently, so no longer a a surprise to anyone .... Nowinsky no doubt knows how to contain guys like this, but he's bound to break a couple.

Also have to keep tabs on #12 QB Stick .. he can run too, but picks his spots carefully .. so you have to stay home for him as run threat, especially in this weather, or he will get a few big runs.

Our front 7 should do very well in this weather, but anything can happen on wet surface .. good and bad .. for both teams. Our RBs rely more on power/speed than on quicks .. that should help if our OL gives them a little room. Very similar teams in these regards, until Dunn went down and Brooks emerged.

One and done if we lose .. so have to pull out all stops offensively with game plan .. need Kolbe AND Broadnax to win game like this.

crazzymark

both.....Birds 38
buf 18

the weather will be perfect for a dome team game....now show up season ticket holders......the mall can wait..

fourthandshort

crazzymark said:
both.....Birds 38
buf 18

the weather will be perfect for a dome team game....now show up season ticket holders......the mall can wait..

Well what are we waiting for ???

Crazzy .. that may have been your most inspiring post ever and will prove to be the reason we win Saturday. Very reminiscent of a famous movie scene .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPgPrtOxvK4

Cast Credits:
Adrianne .. played by Crazzy
Rocky .. played by Coach Spack
Mick .. played by fourthandshort .. and yes, I killed it in this scene

DannyCooksey

I hope there is an honest and open competition in the off season. May the best man win.

I would include Smith and Hatfield as well. Kolbe has not improved as much as I thought he would. He's pretty much the same guy he's been the last couple years. Inconsistent

Chi-bird

DannyCooksey said:
I hope there is an honest and open competition in the off season. May the best man win.

I would include Smith and Hatfield as well. Kolbe has not improved as much as I thought he would. He's pretty much the same guy he's been the last couple years. Inconsistent

I'm sure Spack will publicly support Kolbe and it is still his job to lose. I imagine it won't be a 100% open competition.....at least publicly.

Top Bottom