Kindred discusses Donewald era

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/kindred-years-later-isu-still-chasing-success-of-donewald-era/article_d00c451b-662b-54be-8151-fd784a984445.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

ricohill

Whether you were for or against Donewald, or don’t even know his name, there is an inescapable truth: Three decades later, ISU is still chasing his level of success.

Sums it up really well.

Brick

ricohill said:
Whether you were for or against Donewald, or don’t even know his name, there is an inescapable truth: Three decades later, ISU is still chasing his level of success.

Sums it up really well.
Damn, Rico we agree on something! 🙀. No question Donewald was a great coach in MOST ways. Prickly you bet! But Xs and Os he knew his job. I talked to him one on one several times and he was fine. But I also think he lost his recruiting edge. Kids didn’t necessarily want to come her to work their asses off on defense and avg 12 points a game. But he probably would have adjusted as he wasn’t stupid. The thing with WJBC was probably the last straw. But I sure loved the Bruise brothers. Lamb, Cornley, Malaine Et all. WSU came in with all
Those studs that ended up in the NBA and the Bruise brothers beat the crap out of them. Fun times

ricohill

Brick said:
ricohill said:

Sums it up really well.
Damn, Rico we agree on something! 🙀. No question Donewald was a great coach in MOST ways. Prickly you bet! But Xs and Os he knew his job. I talked to him one on one several times and he was fine. But I also think he lost his recruiting edge. Kids didn’t necessarily want to come her to work their asses off on defense and avg 12 points a game. But he probably would have adjusted as he wasn’t stupid. The thing with WJBC was probably the last straw. But I sure loved the Bruise brothers. Lamb, Cornley, Malaine Et all. WSU came in with all
Those studs that ended up in the NBA and the Bruise brothers beat the crap out of them. Fun times

I think we agree we want ISU basketball back to this level.

Brick

ricohill said:
Brick said:
ricohill said:

Sums it up really well.

You bet! 😎

ricohill

Automatic Slim said:
The WJBC thing referring to that particular post-game call from a listener, right?

I would assume part of the feud started with WJBC when a racial slur was allowed through from a caller that Donewald was not happy about.

MadBird

Brick said:
ricohill said:

Sums it up really well.

I wrote him a letter shortly after he was let go - I was a season ticket holder at the time - and told him how sorry I was, hated to see him go, etc. and he answered with a very warm personal letter. So he had some people skills. We had moved to Madison, and this was pre-Interstate 39, so I let my season tickets go I was so PO'd at the way he was treated. Just didn't feel like making the effort anymore. I'm glad to be "back in the family" now, but still think he was done dirt.

ricohill

MadBird said:
Brick said:
ricohill said:

Sums it up really well.

I wrote him a letter shortly after he was let go - I was a season ticket holder at the time - and told him how sorry I was, hated to see him go, etc. and he answered with a very warm personal letter. So he had some people skills. We had moved to Madison, and this was pre-Interstate 39, so I let my season tickets go I was so PO'd at the way he was treated. Just didn't feel like making the effort anymore. I'm glad to be "back in the family" now, but still think he was done dirt.

Great stuff!! Seems to be one sided with what you hear about Donewald.

I wonder what it would take for him to ever come back to ISU? I don't think putting him in the Hall of Fame would get him to return.

HT59

:text-+1:
ricohill said:
Brick said:
ricohill said:

Sums it up really well.

TIMMY

I always liked Donewald. He was a hard ass. Like me. But he cared about his kids and would do anything for them.

I met him at a Westchester St. Joe's game. I was there to see Isaiah Thomas. He was there to watch Tyrone Brewer. He was seated a row away from me. I went over and introduced myself as a Redbird. He invited my buddy and me to sit with him. We talked the whole game. Basketball never came up. We talked about kids, athletics, teaching and coaching. Bob had spent time as a high school coach in South Bend before taking the job with Knight. What a great night. Chokes me up thinking about it.

Most of my classes were in Horton. He had that little corner office at the top of those 3 stairs and when he was in there the door was always open Every time I walked by I would wave. I'd hear him yell "hey my nickname". He was a good guy.

I understand why they let him go I guess. But I sure thought it was cowardly. But that was a long time ago and all things must pass. Nice article by Randy.

bb fan

Good stuff. Excellent story and comments here. The one thing that has changed is that Donewald's two at large tourney teams would not get in today. Not since 2006.

ISU86

The Donewald era was during my on-campus time. Lamb, Malaine, Tyus, H.Cornley, Zwart, Duncan, Johnson, McKenny, Stefanovic, Anderson, Braksick, Sanders, Holifield, Taphorn, etc. Good run.

Not to mention, outside of Thomas, all of Bender's tournament team contributors were Donewald players as well.

I always felt the college rule changes implemented around that time (45-second clock, three-point line) went directly against the style of game he was best at coaching.

That, and President Lloyd "Floyd the Barber" Watkins was not a big fan.

Bird Friend

Coming back for self-imposed exile for this thread only, then back offline again . . . That said, let's look at the facts:

Donewald - 11 years, 3 NCAAs, 3 NITs, 1 Valley Title, 1 Valley Tourney title,
overall 208-121 (.632) - final four seasons 65-47 (.580), final season 13-17

Stallings - 6 years, 2 NCAAs, 2 NITs, 2 Valley Titles, 2 Valley Tourney titles
overall 123-63 (.661) - final four seasons 87-39 (.750), final season 16-15

Which coach was more successful? Forgive me, but based on what seems the consensus of the board, we’re reaching for the success of the wrong coach.

ISU86

Bird Friend said:
Coming back for self-imposed exile for this thread only, then back offline again . . . That said, let's look at the facts:

Which coach was more successful? Forgive me, but based on what seems the consensus of the board, we’re reaching for the success of the wrong coach.
For full perspective (in order to frame postseason opportunities), three of Donewald's eleven seasons were when Illinois State was an independent (no chance for Missouri Valley Conference or tournament title (automatic bid)).

I would take either coach's production in a heartbeat.

ricohill

Bird Friend said:

I would take either one.

One thing to remember about Donewald was the first 3 years he was here ISU was an independent. They had virtually no chance of going to the NCAA tournament. Was able to make the NIT in 79-80.

Also, I would argue it was much tougher to get into the NCAA tournament when Donewald was here. From 79-82 there were only 40 teams in the tourney. 83 there was 52 teams, 84 there were 53, and not until 85 was the field expanded to 64.

ISU FAN 1

bb fan said:
Good stuff. Excellent story and comments here. The one thing that has changed is that Donewald's two at large tourney teams would not get in today. Not since 2006.

We got 8 and 9 seeds those years, one of which when the tourney only had 48 entrants. You might be right, but there’s a good case ISU would still make it.

Top Bottom