Kicker controversy?

cpacmel

Slattery misses his 2nd field goal on the day with 8:30 or so left in the game. Birds score a late TD with less than 3:30 left in the game. Breen comes on for the XP.

Slattery relieved of his place-kicking duties or Breen just getting some work?

MadBird

Slattery also has more kick offs out of bounds (4) than touchbacks (3). He had 4 KO out of bounds all year last year.

Not sure if the FG kicking warrants a change at this point, but I've never thought Slattery was a "lights out" kind of kicker.

ISUBU

Let's add to the controversy. Breen didn't move behind his blockers on the Aussie style running punt, resulting in the blocked punt returned for EIU's first touchdown.

MadBird

ISUBU said:
Let's add to the controversy. Breen didn't move behind his blockers on the Aussie style running punt, resulting in the blocked punt returned for EIU's first touchdown.

I think I remember Dick and Ted discussing this mistake on the broadcast.

SteveO

I think Breen was just getting a rep with some live action. No change predicted here.

ChiRedbirdfan

Slattery started slow last year and finished strong. That said good kicking on a consistent basis is what is needed.

Reggie Redbird

I believe it should be an open competition for 35+ yard kicks if we have troubles in that range. Last year we were 16-20 on FGs (no blocks) and 36-38 on PATs. For college, those are pretty good stats considering the percentages. Of those 20 FGs, Slattery was 10-10 from 20-29 yards. What I'm looking at is over 30 yards.

This year we are 11-11 on XPs with 10 by Slattery and 1 by Breen. No sense in making a change who handles those right now. We are 4-6 on FGs with the misses a pair of 34-yarders. If someone can boot better than 50% from that range, it's worth a look. I trust the coaches to make the right decision. Right now, we need another game or two to determine.

If we continue to have trouble once we get to the 35-yard range, perhaps we should consider doing what Illinois did when they had Peter Christafilakos and John Gockman back around 2000-2002. Christafilakos handled everything inside 40 yards and Gockman was more their long-distance kicker. If we have someone else on the roster who has a better boot over 35 yards, we should consider that.

ChiRedbirdfan

Reggie Redbird said:
I believe it should be an open competition for 35+ yard kicks if we have troubles in that range. Last year we were 16-20 on FGs (no blocks) and 36-38 on PATs. For college, those are pretty good stats considering the percentages. Of those 20 FGs, Slattery was 10-10 from 20-29 yards. What I'm looking at is over 30 yards.

This year we are 11-11 on XPs with 10 by Slattery and 1 by Breen. No sense in making a change who handles those right now. We are 4-6 on FGs with the misses a pair of 34-yarders. If someone can boot better than 50% from that range, it's worth a look. I trust the coaches to make the right decision. Right now, we need another game or two to determine.

If we continue to have trouble once we get to the 35-yard range, perhaps we should consider doing what Illinois did when they had Peter Christafilakos and John Gockman back around 2000-2002. Christafilakos handled everything inside 40 yards and Gockman was more their long-distance kicker. If we have someone else on the roster who has a better boot over 35 yards, we should consider that.

Couldn't agree more. I want whomever is most likely to make the next pat/fg to be the kicker.

Hamdonger

With this uber-competitive conference, kicking will probably be the difference in several games. Makes me uncomfortable having a couple of mid30's misses. No reason a competitive program like ours can't have a guy who can at least give us a shot at a 50yarder if we need it.

If we can't show that as that season goes on, it'll change dramatically how teams play us in regards to tight, late-game situations.

fourthandshort

Humdinger said:
With this uber-competitive conference, kicking will probably be the difference in several games. Makes me uncomfortable having a couple of mid30's misses. No reason a competitive program like ours can't have a guy who can at least give us a shot at a 50yarder if we need it.

If we can't show that as that season goes on, it'll change dramatically how teams play us in regards to tight, late-game situations.

Slattery has enough leg to kick the 40-50 and 50+ FGs. Just has some consistency issues.

Hamdonger

Consistency issues and kickers. Not a good dance combination. Rooting for the kid, certainly. Rooting for all our guys!

Hamdonger

Ok, that 48-harder helps. Nice going, Slatts! If rhythm of this game doesn't change he might very well be the difference.

fourthandshort

Way to step up Sean Slattery !!! Spack challenged him last week and he responded. Very impressive turn around in one week. Just stay focused and determined .. you have the leg to do this.

cpacmel

https://mobile.twitter.com/ValleyFootball/status/922236128912183298

fourthandshort

is this 2 special teams player of week award since Spack challenged after InSU game ?

for season .. 13 of 15 overall, 4 of 4 from 40-49, and 1 of from 50-59 ,, not bad for a guy that missed the two 35 yarders in 1 game .. but 100% spot on otherwise. Currently the #1 FG kicker in MVFC, and possibly in country.

Weber St kicker is 14 of 15, but only has 1 of 1 kicks greater than 40 yards. Grambling kicker is 12 of 14 with three 40 yard kicks .. al 3 were 40 yarders. Everyone else

dude is in a groove .. way to respond Sean Slattery !!!! You have the leg ... keep it simple and just kick it.

dpdoughbird06

fourthandshort said:
is this 2 special teams player of week award since Spack challenged after InSU game ?

for season .. 13 of 15 overall, 4 of 4 from 40-49, and 1 of from 50-59 ,, not bad for a guy that missed the two 35 yarders in 1 game .. but 100% spot on otherwise. Currently the #1 FG kicker in MVFC, and possibly in country.

Weber St kicker is 14 of 15, but only has 1 of 1 kicks greater than 40 yards. Grambling kicker is 12 of 14 with three 40 yard kicks .. al 3 were 40 yarders. Everyone else

dude is in a groove .. way to respond Sean Slattery !!!! You have the leg ... keep it simple and just kick it.

Remember his interview at the coaches show a few weeks back: he comes from a family of pro golfers. So many similarities mentally between kicking and executing a golf shot. It may have taken a few years to click, but looks like Slattery got himself in an excellent frame of mind to give us a real advantage on special teams.

Top Bottom