Keyshawn out 2-4 Weeks

Flagship08

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/isu-second-in-mvc-basketball-poll-evans-to-miss-time/article_1cd9dea8-b65e-58b1-9f3f-1adb7835a14b.html

Really hope he's back for Nov 10 @ Belmont.

dabirds0987

If his goal is first team all conference, he can't miss games this year. I think he has the talent, if he can get/stay healthy!

ChiRedbirdfan

dabirds0987 said:
If his goal is first team all conference, he can't miss games this year. I think he has the talent, if he can get/stay healthy!

Time for the boot. I don't see Evans as a first team all conference due to the defensive considerations. If Evans makes first team all conference then ISU will have a very good year as long as all other current team members remain healthy and eligible.

redbirdron1

DEEP SIGH. Some things are so predictable with my beloved Birds. My worry going into
this season as I reviewed the wonderful depth of the roster is/was backup PG.
I know, many of you say we've got it covered with MY and the new guy from San Fran. Well, is
this the same MY who avg. something like 5-6 to's during that stretch last year??? Just got PG
written all over him.......

We need Key and we need him healthy all year. Just a great kid to speak with and I've even
shared with him personally that I figure he'll miss 3-4 weeks due to injury. Three years
in a row made a trend and now, the 4th year. Just too bad. Makes me wonder if King David is wearing
his boot yet?

OK - this may be a tiny issue to the season and I just hope this is it. My gosh, Muller speaks of watching Chastain
closely - think he and the staff don't have to do a body screen on Key following each and every practice? I'll move
on now. I'll shift over to the Normal PD now and worry with Birdswin about the fairness of traffic violations/
suspended licenses/infractions and misdemeanors targeted toward our boys who wear the red uniforms.

Adunk33

Staff member
If Keyshawn didn't get ANY post season accolades as one of the top scorers in the MVC last year, I figure he's fighting an uphill battle for further recognition this season too. Kid averaged 15ppg last year.

Muller has said that one of his offensive goals this year was to get Keyshawn off the ball more and run plays for him to shoot more, because that is more of the flow of Keys game. That suggests to me that Muller feels we have enough depth at the position that if Key was healthy, he would still play off the ball.

Muller has also said Keyshawn loves to show everyone how hurt he is and that Key sometimes overacts so others buy what he's selling. Muller said in the past Key would have a tough time playing hurt. Not injured, hurt. So I'm thinking that's why key wasn't under a microscope like Chastain. I think the other difference is the severity of the injures. Chas has torn his ACL twice and MCL once, I believe. Key has had generally minor injuries, consistently missing 3-4 months.

For what it's worth, I saw a video of David the other day as SUU. He looked more athletic on that video than he ever did here. He was doing an oop off a pick and role, his main way of scoring here.

ThisIsTheLineup

It seems like a precaution. I’d rather him sit out now than get legit hurt halfway through the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIMMY

Injuries happen. A hot spot this time of year... Better safe than sorry. Same injury in March...Play through it.

DWRedbird

ThisIsTheLineup said:
It seems like a precaution. I’d rather him sit out now than get legit hurt halfway through the season.

That's how I'm taking it too, rest him now to prevent any possible problems from creeping up mid season. I think we will be ok from a guard depth standpoint to start the season. I'd be more worried if this was Phil or Rey.

Baltimore Bird

There are a lot of old timers on this board.....Does anyone remember Collins, Wilkins, Lewis, Jones, Del, Ice Man Jones or basically anyone ever being hurt back in the day?

Of course, Gibson was throwing 300 innings with 25 complete games, etc. Times have changed. It does not seem for the better.

Just remembered that Galvin did break his foot one year......

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
If you were hurt, you were weak back then. Rub some dirt on it, get out there.

Today is different and it's for the better. There are guys who can't walk today because they played through every injury and never took care of their bodies. If he's hurt, he shouldn't play.

bombay

Baltimore Bird said:
There are a lot of old timers on this board.....Does anyone remember Collins, Wilkins, Lewis, Jones, Del, Ice Man Jones or basically anyone ever being hurt back in the day?

Of course, Gibson was throwing 300 innings with 25 complete games, etc. Times have changed. It does not seem for the better.

I remember Randy Smithson putting up 25 points with his right arm in a cast. He just shot lefty.

In the season that caused MLB to lower the mound, Gibson had 28 complete games including 13 shutouts to go with his 1.12 ERA. Still, his record was only 20-13.

ChiRedbirdfan

isuquinndog said:
If you were hurt, you were weak back then. Rub some dirt on it, get out there.

Today is different and it's for the better. There are guys who can't walk today because they played through every injury and never took care of their bodies. If he's hurt, he shouldn't play.

I routinely see Richard Dent and Otis Wilson at the healthclub and seeing them hobble around is not a pretty scene...especially Dent.

All the additional strength training and added muscle mass/weight in today's athletic environment certainly helps performance and health in some respects but also puts more strain and stress on supporting tissues and bones.

Flagship08

Trey_Guidry4three said:
The word I have been getting is he will not be fully ready to play until December

Well that's a big problem if we want an at large bid and he isn't playing in thr Cayman Island Classic

DBird

Baltimore Bird said:

The answer to your question........

NO!!

Adunk33

Staff member
Flagship08 said:
Trey_Guidry4three said:
The word I have been getting is he will not be fully ready to play until December

Well that's a big problem if we want an at large bid and he isn't playing in thr Cayman Island Classic

A urge that as a fan base, we should collectively put this idea of an "at-large" out of our heads. There is only one guaranteed way to make the tournament, win the MVC tournament. Let's focus on doing that. Our whole season comes down to those three days in March. Even if the birds look like an at-large team going into the MVC Tournament, and lose Friday or Saturday, those will likely be a Q3/4 loss that would keep the Birds out.

I try not to leave anything up to chance. Win on Sunday, March 10, and we're in for the first time in 21 years.

Morans14

TIMMY said:
When Copeland and Chastain step up we'll be just fine.
Don't start the losers limp just yet.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Top Bottom