Kansas AD who fired Porter Moser at Illinois State ‘excited’ for former coach

ISU86

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-loyola-porter-moser-sheahon-zenger-20180326-story.html

TheTruth

ISU86 said:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-loyola-porter-moser-sheahon-zenger-20180326-story.html

I still can't believe Zenger is at Kansas, he must have incriminating pics of somebody.

ISU FAN 1

TheTruth said:
ISU86 said:

I still can't believe Zenger is at Kansas, he must have incriminating pics of somebody.

Probably because I got to know him, but Zenger was my favorite AD at ISU. Just from my perspective, he really reached out to meet this donor to the department. Have felt like a faceless, nameless donor ID# to the rest of them. As long as the checks keep coming, most don't seem interested in cultivating a relationship. The face to face personal interaction goes a long way IMO. I remember when 3 players and a coach showed up at my door to deliver my season tickets one year. Even though they didn't meet my request for Jackie to deliver them, it was still cool having Tyler Brown show up at my door.

Hamdonger

IMO he was a very good AD for us and remains one for Kansas. The fact that Kansas offered him the job shows you how good the guy is. Kansas has shown over the better part of a century that it's hard to win football games in Lawrence. Now, they are in the process of POURING money into the football program, so if football doesn't produce, Zenger will probably be out the door.

Doesn't mean he's not an excellent AD...rather, it's just the nature of the high pressure win or go bleep yourself mentality of the sports arena.

Hamdonger

And realistically, people around these parts were probably screaming for Porter to be fired. Would have been interesting to see what happened if Porter received another year, but I don't believe it was a bad decision at the time or a bad decision today.

Especially seeing, for all parties, how it's played out. Feel a sense of divine timing for Porter in the journey over the last 11 years, and very happy for him.

Adunk33

Staff member
Humdinger said:
IMO he was a very good AD for us and remains one for Kansas. The fact that Kansas offered him the job shows you how good the guy is. Kansas has shown over the better part of a century that it's hard to win football games in Lawrence. Now, they are in the process of POURING money into the football program, so if football doesn't produce, Shannon will probably be out the door.

Doesn't mean he's not an excellent AD...rather, it's just the nature of the high pressure win or go bleep yourself mentality of the sports arena.

If he get canned from KU, can we get him back?

Birdswin

I agree - Zenger was the best AD ISU has had since Weisbecker. We need another dynamic personality as the AD - Larry is a nice guy, but is not the person we need in that position.

Red Rocker

Some KU people want Zenger out because of the football program. There are billboards around KC asking to fire him.

Sheahon does things right and KU FB has been a train wreck for a while. Having said that, it do not seem like it’s improved any since his arrival and Charlie Weiss was a horrible choice.

As for Porter, one more year with Porter and he would likely still be our coach today. He was better than Jank.

Birdswin

Charlie Weiss was not Zenger's choice - the President of KU and a few large donors directed that decision - since then that President has departed. I am sure those billboards you are referring to, are from a those few donors.

Several years ago, I worked on a job in Manhattan, KS - the crew included a mix of K-State, Wichita, and KU alums - it was very interesting to learn that there are alums from Wichita and KU that have K-State football season tickets - but, it is reversed for basketball. This was confirmed by the management of business we working at - they advertise with K-State football and KU basketball - that was the extent of their advertising with college sports.

bb fan

I don't get all this love for Zenger. He is just one in a long list of AD's who failed to make ISU athletics into what it should have been, a power team on a national scale. Another failed leader in a long, long list of sports admins that are lazy and just don't get it. OK, that was for a few posters here we all know that are famous for this diatribe. I liked Sheahon. I worked with him on a couple of projects, and we talked a couple of times about the future and direction of ISU athletics.

Hamdonger

Humdinger said:
IMO he was a very good AD for us and remains one for Kansas. The fact that Kansas offered him the job shows you how good the guy is. Kansas has shown over the better part of a century that it's hard to win football games in Lawrence. Now, they are in the process of POURING money into the football program, so if football doesn't produce, Sheahon will probably be out the door.

TheTruth

bb fan said:
I don't get all this love for Zenger. He is just one in a long list of AD's who failed to make ISU athletics into what it should have been, a power team on a national scale. Another failed leader in a long, long list of sports admins that are lazy and just don't get it. OK, that was for a few posters here we all know that are famous for this diatribe. I liked Sheahon. I worked with him on a couple of projects, and we talked a couple of times about the future and direction of ISU athletics.

Agreed! A nice guy but let's be honest he was a great talker but not much else, you don't ever want to see someone lose a job but I'm not surprised he's on a very warm seat in Lawrence. You make a great point about a long list of failed sports admins and there is a lot of proof to back that up. Zenger being on the hot seat at KU, Friedman is out of the business, Perk is now at D2, Greenspan was drummed out of the business. Wellman with a very pedestrian career at Wake, Frederick... see KU's history of football futility. But to be fair, a lot of the blame also goes to the university's presidents. Without a vision from the top, even a good AD can't be completely effective.

Redbirdfan21

Zanger doesn’t get any credit for Hancock 2.0. Didn’t he get that ball rolling and Friedman reaped the rewards of Zenger’s work?

Jsnhbe1Birds

You guys do realize Hancock 2.0 is a joke still...right? Until they relocate the activities inside the fieldhouse and tear it down and build a west side and horseshoe Hancock will always be a joke. The eastside is lipstick on a pig.

Hamdonger

TheTruth said:
bb fan said:

Agreed! A nice guy but let's be honest he was a great talker but not much else, you don't ever want to see someone lose a job but I'm not surprised he's on a very warm seat in Lawrence. You make a great point about a long list of failed sports admins and there is a lot of proof to back that up. Zenger being on the hot seat at KU, Friedman is out of the business, Perk is now at D2, Greenspan was drummed out of the business. Wellman with a very pedestrian career at Wake, Frederick... see KU's history of football futility. But to be fair, a lot of the blame also goes to the university's presidents. Without a vision from the top, even a good AD can't be completely effective.

Hey Truth, want some truth? BB's post was sarcasm.

Guess Zenger talked his way into one of the best AD positions in the country. Greenspan got drummed out of the biz because of hiring Sampson at Indiana and Sampson's neurotic impulses to go rogue, otherwise he'd still be at Indiana. That does fall on Greenspan, though. Wellman is only the senior athletic director in the ACC and was the chair of the NCAA selection committee for several years...and...had the chesticles to fire Donewald. Frederick was one of the most well-thought of and respected administrators in all of college athletics.

You've got your viewpoint, I've got mine. We should be a two-headed professor and teach a sports admin class at ISU.

bb fan

Of course, EVERY SINGLE A.D. IN THE LAST FOUR DECADES HAS BEEN TERRIBLE. .

Thanks, Humdinger. You bring up an interesting name. Rick Greenspan, might have been the AD to come closest to moving us up. At least trying to. But of course by the measure of some posters here. He was TERRIBLE, TOO. ALL OF THEM HAVE BEEN AWFUL. According to some posters, who, themselves have never, once posted any specific ideas or strategies to get these done, or an example of another school like us who have pulled off what they say should have happened. Yeah, several of our ADs have moved on to continue have success. BUT THEY WERE ALL TERRIBLE WHEN THEY WERE HERE!

vbird

bb fan said:
Of course, EVERY SINGLE A.D. IN THE LAST FOUR DECADES HAS BEEN TERRIBLE. .

Thanks, Humdinger. You bring up an interesting name. Rick Greenspan, might have been the AD to come closest to moving us up. At least trying to. But of course by the measure of some posters here. He was TERRIBLE, TOO. ALL OF THEM HAVE BEEN AWFUL. According to some posters, who, themselves have never, once posted any specific ideas or strategies to get these done, or an example of another school like us who have pulled off what they say should have happened. Yeah, several of our ADs have moved on to continue have success. BUT THEY WERE ALL TERRIBLE WHEN THEY WERE HERE!

Greenspan lit a match and shut the door behind him on his way out of town with his hiring of Tom Richardson. Set this program back a decade.

ChiRedbirdfan

Jsnhbe1Birds said:
You guys do realize Hancock 2.0 is a joke still...right? Until they relocate the activities inside the fieldhouse and tear it down and build a west side and horseshoe Hancock will always be a joke. The eastside is lipstick on a pig.

I disagree the Hortonside needs to be torn down. Too expensive to do so and what is gained? ISU finishes the horseshoe tastefully and entire Hancock stadium will be solid both visually and functionally (if ISU football every becomes significant in terms of fan interest and revenues incease too then do something with the Horton side) . They can add more concessions (and more options including alcohol) on the Hancock side but otherwise that is more than enough for a visiting side. ISU needs to think out of the box and get some type of beer garden for games as the reality is that lots of fans are leaving to go hang out in ISU's own parking lot and eat/drink anyway. Additionally ISU is already serving alcohol in portions of the stadium. Might as well grab the additional revenue.

Hamdonger

vbird said:
Greenspan lit a match and shut the door behind him on his way out of town with his hiring of Tom Richardson. Set this program back a decade.

Thats an interesting point. Greenspan was a big loyalty guy, Stallings pushed for Richardson hard, Stallings and Greenspan were very tight. Don't forget though, we had an injury bug that might have made a difference for Richardson, plus Tarise not being granted another year.

Top Bottom