Kabbes Set To Return To Illinois State As Deputy Director of Athletics

Reggie Redbird

You talk about hitting a home run with a hire, this is it. Kabbes will be all-in on ISU to get the department where it needs to be and will be someone that people want to work with.

He’s someone I’ve hoped we would get back in the fold and see as a future AD someday for us, even if that means departing again as he progresses in his career.

Way to go Dr. Beggs!

Hamdonger

You talk about hitting a home run with a hire, this is it. Kabbes will be all-in on ISU to get the department where it needs to be and will be someone that people want to work with.

He’s someone I’ve hoped we would get back in the fold and see as a future AD someday for us, even if that means departing again as he progresses in his career.

Way to go Dr. Beggs!
Good to hear!

normalbird

It appears that Kabbes is coming in as the number two, and leaving his current position on his own volition.

I suspect he wouldn’t make this change without strong assurances that both the interim AD and the interim President would soon have the “interim” dropped from their titles.

Birdswin

I believe he had two sisters play VB at ISU and one of them married an assistant football coach at the time Justin Fuentes.

Total Red

Staff member
It appears that Kabbes is coming in as the number two, and leaving his current position on his own volition.

I suspect he wouldn’t make this change without strong assurances that both the interim AD and the interim President would soon have the “interim” dropped from their titles.
I'm not disputing this, but two questions come to mind.

1) Who would have the authority to assure an applicant that two open administrative positions will be filled by the interim holders of those positions?

2) If it has already been decided internally that both interims will be retained, then why bother to hire an external search firm for the Presidential hire? I know that there are mandatory legal steps involved in hiring for open positions, but hiring a search firm is not one of them. Seems like a waste of money if a decision has already been made.

normalbird

Only my suspicions, TR. I think an external search is legally necessary, and it legitimizes an internal selection. I’ve never heard or read anything re Tarhule and his aspirations for the presidency. Although Beggs initially said she was not interested in the full-time AD gig, it’s been suggested by several sources that she would now like to stick around.

My leadership picks would be whoever can improve our on field/on court performance. More wins, fewer losses.

Total Red

Staff member
Only my suspicions, TR. I think an external search is legally necessary, and it legitimizes an internal selection. I’ve never heard or read anything re Tarhule and his aspirations for the presidency. Although Beggs initially said she was not interested in the full-time AD gig, it’s been suggested by several sources that she would now like to stick around.

My leadership picks would be whoever can improve our on field/on court performance. More wins, fewer losses.
I don't really like it when things are done for appearances. If you know who you want, I don't think that going through the motions of using an external search committee makes your selection any more legitimate, but otherwise I do believe you are correct in describing what is happening and what the requirements are. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
You can do an external search without spending a few hundred thousand on a search firm it's just to make it look like you did an external search.

Top Bottom