Just a Question...

BIGfan

With schools closed (many for the rest of the year) will all new recruits graduate and qualify for fall enrollment?

TBS_20

I highly doubt they hold everyone in the country back a whole year. The ramifications of that would be immense and I'm not even talking about sports.

Birdswin

With two college students, a daughter who works at Heartland CC and a wife who is a teacher at Normal West - NO School is closed.

Birdswin

My youngest daughter is a Junior at Kent State - now there is one professor there who is a moron. She sent a file that was too large to open due to system limitations - when the students where emailing her - she said it was - Their problem to figure out. Five hours later - she said since every student complained - she sent it to her personal email and it would not open.

My oldest daughter is getting 4-5 parents and students a day to talk to and getting signed up for Heartland CC next semester. My son's accounting classes and CPA test prep is continuing.

chuckie1980

Schools have drastically changed things to provide classes remotely. Each student's situation will probably boil down to being a unique situation. Student athletes is an enigma I hope that I understand more after hearing stories. Foreign students...I have been close to a few situations and wow! that's looking like a big mess. Throw visas issues into the mix...bleah!.

A family mbr spent his senior year in Spain...and went through such hell from the Uof IL...first statement I heard of his situation...I responded...SUE now. His situation was semester ends/you won't graduate/you are losing 1000$/and come home and be quarantined for 2 weeks.....to come home/quarantine for 2 weeks/finish your classes/graduate. Then he would hopefully continue his masters in the fall.

Rents....geesh! Dorm costs. storage. etc. etc. etc.

Hamdonger

Birdswin said:
With two college students, a daughter who works at Heartland CC and a wife who is a teacher at Normal West - NO School is closed.

So if schools are, umm, quarantined (looking more and more likely) till end of year...what do you call it? Does every single student have access to online learning? Has every single school k-5 through undergrad (thinking more of hs and under) offered this capability? No offense, not trying to start argument, sincere question!

TIMMY

My wife is a 5th grade teacher. Her grade level is compartmentalized and her team is to provide one lesson a day per subject. She has to provided "office hours" and is available then online.

My daughter is a high school history teacher and is available M-W-F online during normal school hours. ALL assignments are due and to be graded per her superintendent. Her track season is cancelled but her distance kids are doing their normal workouts on their own in anticipation of fall cross country season.

I feel bad for the athletes who are losing there season. And all of the seniors who won't get to walk. But I can't imagine anyone not gradating because of this.

Loyl2u

TIMMY said:
My wife is a 5th grade teacher. Her grade level is compartmentalized and her team is to provide one lesson a day per subject. She has to provided "office hours" and is available then online.

My daughter is a high school history teacher and is available M-W-F online during normal school hours. ALL assignments are due and to be graded per her superintendent. Her track season is cancelled but her distance kids are doing their normal workouts on their own in anticipation of fall cross country season.

I feel bad for the athletes who are losing there season. And all of the seniors who won't get to walk. But I can't imagine anyone not gradating because of this.
IHSA still hopes to have spring sports. “We are considering an extension of the spring sports season limitation to provide more participation opportunities for students. This may include movement of the postseason timelines and the state series,"
https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/high-school/ihsa-provides-update-on-spring-sport-schedules-to-coaches-and/article_51ed11b4-fff2-5ccd-9a44-ada9a132a14d.html

TIMMY

Loyl2u said:
TIMMY said:

IHSA still hopes to have spring sports. “We are considering an extension of the spring sports season limitation to provide more participation opportunities for students. This may include movement of the postseason timelines and the state series,"
https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/high-school/ihsa-provides-update-on-spring-sport-schedules-to-coaches-and/article_51ed11b4-fff2-5ccd-9a44-ada9a132a14d.html
Indiana isn't officially done but her school year ends the 3rd week in May and her Superintendent has called it. It would be great if Illinois came back but I wouldn't put real money on it.

redbird Recon

TIMMY said:

That's interesting. It seems like every district is doing things a little bit differently.