Joey Myer has passed away

Baltimore Bird

74 is way too young. The Meyers created DePaul basketball which was great in the late 70's and 80's. It has not been good for a long time now.
RIP Joey.

cubird

Super station WGN helped recruit kids from the east, because their parents could watch them on tv. No advantage in today's media market.

Hamdonger

Growing up, I watched many DePaul games (and Cub games, and Braves games, and Hawks games - despite not being a fan of any of them) on WGN and WTBS. I even held the cables for a WGN cameraman when DePaul visited Redbird Arena. (absolute nighmare)

This is a wonderful statement from one of his many players. Never really cared for Joey back in the day, probably because I was an immature punk...and...well, it's DePaul. I came to discover he was a really good human being from a really good family. God bless the Meyer family.

Last edited:

CaliRdBrd

I loved DePaul basketball. Growing up in the 70’s and 80’s in Chicagoland, they (and especially Ray Meyer) represented the very best college hoops had to offer.
When Joey took over, I was skeptical, but he quickly won me over (aside from that dagger at Horton).
Great family, and great ambassadors of the sport.
RIP, Joey.

Phantom

I even held the cables for a WGN cameraman when DePaul visited Redbird Arena. (absolute nighmare)
'92? If so I still have an old VHS copy of that game somewhere. IIRC the Bears were in attendance for some reason. Bad snowstorm. DannyCooksey and our other brother spun out and nearly plowed into the end of a guardrail right before the Main St. exit on 55 coming down for the game. Good memories.

Redbirdmike

Growing up in Chicago in the 70’s and 80’s DePaul got us all excited for college basketball. Those teams were amazing, especially the ‘79 Final 4 team. Mark Aguirre, Terry Cummings,Clyde Bradshaw and Skip Dillard gave were a team as talented as any in the country. I once had the delight of having dinner with Coach Ray Meyer. He was a true gentleman. Transitioning to Joey the team still provided some great memories and great teams. I was at Horton for the Terence Greene game and as a freshman was now rooting for ISU with mixed emotions. That was a horrible robbery against us, but boy was that game electric. Joey ran off that court faster than anyone I’ve ever seen.

“When I learned that they called it a `three,` '' said Joey, ''I said, `Let`s get the hell out of here while we`re still alive!”

RIP Joey.

Hamdonger

'92? If so I still have an old VHS copy of that game somewhere. IIRC the Bears were in attendance for some reason. Bad snowstorm. DannyCooksey and our other brother spun out and nearly plowed into the end of a guardrail right before the Main St. exit on 55 coming down for the game. Good memories.
Yep sounds about right! I totally forgot about the storm. I believe Kleinschmidt ate our lunch. Glad you and Cookie made out all right...plus you got a story out of the deal!

Top Bottom