Jankovich Retiring

stats

I remember Larry Brown speaking very highly of Jank's knowledge of the game saying he let Jank run the offensive portion at practice. I think if any team wanted Jank as an assistant to help with recruiting or motivate the players, he is not your guy. If a young coach wanted a veteran coach to be an assistant to actually help coach, Jank would be perfect. He is a class act and would not attempt to show anyone up any coach he worked for.

FriscoBird90

The timing of this happening at the end of his contract, which was not being renewed, seems to be a convenient way for SMU to let him go without having to fire him, and for him to move on without having been fired. So what is the over/under on how many months until he decides to pull a Favre/Brady and announce he is going to "unretire" as an assistant at a P5+1 program or as a head coach at a non-P5+1 program?

stats

There are plenty of guys out there that are smart enough to coach college basketball, but it is all of the other stuff that goes with it. Recruiting is one of the most draining parts to coaching. With the portal rule, coaches now have to keep recruiting their own players on a yearly basis. If the transfers keep increasing, I think we might see more early retirements in the future. This part of his statement stands out to me.

"I find myself at a stage in life where I no longer can in good conscience make the necessary sacrifices that this position demands. I feel a strong pull to spend more time with the people whom I have unfortunately neglected the most over the years - my dad, my family and my friends."

Top Bottom