Jack Kelly

cpacmel

ISU recruit is missing

https://twitter.com/traviswsn/status/1097701941516423171?s=12

🙏

TIMMY

Plover police are now saying they dont believe he's in danger and because he's 18 he has a right to leave. Hope he shows up soon. Parents nightmare.

JHBird

TIMMY said:
Plover police are now saying they dont believe he's in danger and because he's 18 he has a right to leave. Hope he shows up soon. Parents nightmare.

I read the blip wrong. I thought his vehicle was abandoned, etc.
Does that mean he kinda just got pissed off at his parents, that type of thing? Hopefully he's okay somewhere. Sounds like maybe he contacted the police to say he was okay, to call off the manhunt, etc.

cpacmel

https://twitter.com/traviswsn/status/1098061906630324225?s=12

fourthandshort

best wishes to him and his family to work this out ... best to not judge something like this.

cpacmel

https://twitter.com/traviswsn/status/1098594793649774592?s=12

Total Red

Staff member
I'm glad that Jack Kelly is safe and well and I'm glad that he was willing to share some of his story with us. He did owe his family and the police an explanation but it wasn't something he was required to share with the general public but again I'm glad he did. Let's face it we all had - "what was that all about?" going through our minds. Now we know he had a brief and hopefully treatable episode of mental disorder. There isn't anything all that unusual about this and in fact it's normal. Virtually everybody has a period in their life where they have feelings of depression or anxiety or paranoia or extreme grief etc. These things can be temporarily debilitating. Sometimes family and friends can help you through it and sometimes professional counseling is required. Jack is now fully aware of his situation and his future looks bright. You're part of the Redbird Family and we're rooting for you.

And thanks to Mel for covering this for us from the beginning.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
I hope he seeks real mental help. I've read many stories of people who think they hear things about them or loved ones that weren't really there. A radio starts talking about them, or a TV. They think they hear a conversation about them and it's not there.

Many times, this leads to suicide as they think it's the only way to save their family and their loved ones.

This is serious. I know we want all our committed players to come to ISU but if he doesn't take care of himself over every thing right now, he could very well hurt himself or others beyond taking off for two days.

fourthandshort

cpacmel said:
https://twitter.com/traviswsn/status/1098594793649774592?s=12

Incredibly mature handling of an incredibly difficult situation. How many 18 year olds would be able to deal with his issue in this manner ?? Very very fewI IMO... best wishes dealing with this !! Sounds like he's off to a great start.

Virginia Redbird

That age of transitioning from kid to young adult is fraught with all kinds of pressures. Leaving home and heading off to college, having real responsibilities, looking at careers and such things. It can be really exciting but it can also be overwhelming. Toss in the pressure of being a college athlete and it can be oppressive. In this day of social media, 24/7/365 news, zero privacy and constant connectivity it has to be much more difficult for young people than it was in my day making that transition in the early '70s. I wish nothing but the best for this young man.

fourthandshort

Virginia Redbird said:
..... social media, 24/7/365 news, zero privacy and constant connectivity it has to be much more difficult for young people ......

this x 1000 .. to the point, he had to set record straight very publicly for something that should have been otherwise a private matter.

In case he or someone he knows is following this thread ... consider asking Spack about greyshirting. Your personal well-being is far more important than college football or even classes this fall.

ChiRedbirdfan

fourthandshort said:
Virginia Redbird said:
..... social media, 24/7/365 news, zero privacy and constant connectivity it has to be much more difficult for young people ......

this x 1000 .. to the point, he had to set record straight very publicly for something that should have been otherwise a private matter.

In case he or someone he knows is following this thread ... consider asking Spack about greyshirting. Your personal well-being is far more important than college football or even classes this fall.

First good news he is ok and seems (?) to be in a position to get some help. Life is packed with many challenging transitions and coming out of high school is likely one of the biggest emotional transitions. I cringed reading Jack's social media response as, though it may be helpful now to let people know what happened, I hope his openness about his mental health does not come back in the future to be used against him. Companies routinely dig into social media tools to see what new employee candidates post to find out any information that they believe may impact a hiring decision. Might this information hurt his chances of being hired? In the future Jack could be part of some legal dispute (divorce, business dispute...etc) and maybe his admitted mental health could be (fairly or unfairly) used against him? The government protects the privacy of an individual's medical records and health for many good reasons and I believe it is always wise to be conservative about what an individual disclose in social media regarding their own personal information.

fourthandshort

So let's talk football ... found a good article from right after his verbal commitment in Sept 2018. Athletic, multi-dimensional player, played both sides of ball, 3 eyar starter, also played baseball and hockey. Only player at his HS to ever be elected captain as a JR. His dad was FBS level wrestler, his brother also played college football at Mankato St .. I'm a fan already .. perfect fit for ISU !!!

But at 6'1" 230 lbs and can move his feet ... is there any doubt, he will be LBer ???

Welcome to Redbird Nation Jack Kelly !!! Redbird Nation loves to watch good defense and we are a force on national level almost every year ... so I'm betting you will have more fun and success at LBer.

Here is recruit Bio posted on Goredbirds:

Jack Kelly | FB | 6-1 | 230 | Plover, Wisconsin (Stevens Point HS)
Stevens Point HS: Three-year varsity starter … rushed for 832 yards and eight touchdowns as a senior, on way to being named an honorable mention all-state selection … unanimous first-team all-conference selection at running back and defensive line … named the conference defensive lineman of the year and player of the year … as a junior, recorded over 60 tackles, five sacks and 15 tackles-for-loss while helping team to the second round of the playoffs … unanimous first-team all-conference pick at defensive end … tallied 45 tackles, four sacks and eight tackles-for-loss as a junior, earning second-team all-conference honors … team was 11-2 that season, won a regional championship and advanced to the state playoff semifinals … also a three-year starter on the baseball diamond, earning first-team all-conference honors. Personal: Born October 26, 2000, in Waukesha, Wisconsin … son of Tim and Ranae Kelly … one of four children … his brother, Regan, played football at Minnesota State and his dad, Tim, wrestled at Iowa State.

Here is local article from right after his verbal commit:

https://www.stevenspointjournal.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2018/09/10/spashs-jack-kelly-commits-play-football-illinois-state-fcs/1252155002/

The Redbirds are getting a player who is willing to do whatever it takes to help his team be successful, according to his high school coach.

"Jack is a very versatile athlete," SPASH coach Pete McAdams said. "He can play linebacker, defensive line, tight end, fullback, and this year he has taken the bulk of the snaps at tailback.

"Jack is a coach's dream. He is talented, a hard worker and a good leader. He truly makes those around him better. His value to our team on game night is quite obvious."

His versatility as a football player is part of what attracted the interest of the Illinois State coaching staff.

The early plan, according to Kelly, is to use him in a tight end/fullback hybrid role, although there is a possibility he could play outside linebacker at the next level.

TIMMY

He can set the edge and get after the passer. Would like to see him turn hips hips. Everything he was asked to do was straight ahead. Nice job blocking at FB in the pistol.
http://www.hudl.com/profile/6068957/JACK-KELLY
Spack will find him a place. He's a good athlete so he got that going for him. Which is nice.

fourthandshort

TIMMY said:
He can set the edge and get after the passer. Would like to see him turn hips hips. Everything he was asked to do was straight ahead. Nice job blocking at FB in the pistol.
http://www.hudl.com/profile/6068957/JACK-KELLY
Spack will find him a place. He's a good athlete so he got that going for him. Which is nice.
Good points .. hard to tackle, hard to block, hard to get separation when he blocks ... but hips and foot speed will need a little work at next level. Note he began year on DL and was moved to RB so assuming he spent offseason preparing for DL. Guessing he has no fear of hard work and will do whatever is asked of him.

Top Bottom