ISU vs Evansville, 1/5/19

gobirds85

Birds bounce back.

Us 70
them 64

It won't be pretty, but this game needs to fall into the win column. Every home game needs to fall into the win column.

Phantom

14 games in. I keep waiting for something to click with this team. Thought MAYBE it was happening at Valpo with a double-digit second half lead, and that we might finally have a put-away victory instead of having to scrape, claw and comeback for it.

Not sure if it happens that way or not on Saturday. At bare minimum, I'm hoping the defensive effort we showed carries over. Who knows, but...

Redbirds 72
Aces 68

4500-ish.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
We either win close or lose big. If we lose big, that shot is still hanging in their minds and we are probably cooked for the year. If they win, there's hope and maybe they can get some momentum. Maybe.

ISU86

hide the kids' eyes

Purple Aces 74
Redbirds 76

PurpleRedbird

My 2nd favorite game of the year.......right behind ISU at Evansville. :)

My dream:

Redbirds: 70
PurpleAces: 70

I leave happy for the first time after this game as I finally have my tie.

Reality:

Redbirds: 72
PurpleAces: 64
Attendance: 4,535

While my Aces have way overachieved this year, and have come close to winning on the road recently (at Miami (Ohio) / at Murray State), I think the Redbirds will bounce back from the heartbreaking loss. Looking forward to a great game. If you haven't seen the Aces play yet, it's pretty amazing what a new coach, a solid staff, and a more open system can do. I wasn't sure we would have 8 wins all year, let alone 8 in early January. UE really only has 3 new players from last years team (2 freshmen and the grad transfer). We lost our top 3 (or 4 depending on who you ask) to either graduation or transfer. Future certainly looking up now, as like ISU we have 3 players redshirting this year (2 transfers and 1 freshman) who all look to be players. I do think UE may get the win in a few weeks when the Redbirds come to the Ford Center.

DannyCooksey

I don't think the Birds are ready to beat the Aces at home. I am hoping we play hard for 40 minutes and avoid total embarrassment. I will be happy if we can do that.

Hopefully there was little to no practice since Wednesday so the legs and feet are not sore.

as someone pointed out earlier I think the loss and more specifically the way they lost at Valpo will linger. not mentally tough enough to overcome that in 3 days. at least there is no tangible evidence that they can overcome even the slightest adversity.

Aces 59
Birds 52

a little more than 3,000 will be there.

DoubleDeuce

Birds win big....sold out arena!!! I'll see how many folks I can round up by tomorrow to help make this true. So far my wife is 50/50...if I can close the deal then my 2 year old will HAVE to come. That's already a 300% bump just by myself!

Bird Friend

Start off strong, build lead, become complacent, lose focus, panic, lose in final minute.

But I hope we win.

RicoBryson

I dont think the team is mentally strong enough to win as hard as it is to say that.

Aces 77
Birds 68

Phantom

Ever since we DIDN'T do so against Chicago State and Cleveland State (or hell, even Lindenwood), I've wondered what hammering someone by 20 in a nice, steady, cruise control type game would do for this team. Instead of being on the other end of such a game (thanks UIC), if we just whipped someone good, if that might help somehow.

I don't expect that to happen now that we are in conference play, but it'd be fun for a change.

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Game notes: https://goredbirds.com/news/2019/1/4/mens-basketball-isu-hosts-evansville-in-saturday-afternoon-battle.aspx

Redbird Alum 2004

DoubleDeuce said:
Birds win big....sold out arena!!! I'll see how many folks I can round up by tomorrow to help make this true. So far my wife is 50/50...if I can close the deal then my 2 year old will HAVE to come. That's already a 300% bump just by myself!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

stats

Bird Friend said:
Start off strong, build lead, become complacent, lose focus, panic, lose in final minute.

But I hope we win.

being complacent = having us try to dribble 25 seconds off the clock each possession because we have a lead.