ISU has assistant coach opening

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
Well, before he coached one game at ISU, DeAndre Haynes has left.

https://twitter.com/rickdun/status/890585700386603009

ISU bio: http://www.goredbirds.com/coaches.aspx?rc=166&path=mbball

BTbird

That's a bummer but can't blame him for going home to a job that I'm sure comes with a nice pay bump. It confirms in my mind that Muller does a good job picking assistant coaches.

MPE773

BTbird said:
That's a bummer but can't blame him for going home to a job that I'm sure comes with a nice pay bump. It confirms in my mind that Muller does a good job picking assistant coaches.

Good point BTbird. Muller has an eye for talent. I'd rather him leave than someone who recruited our incoming freshman.

I'm sure this pisses Muller off though...

Redbirdfan21

Efffff. Yaklich may be gone too

https://theathletic.com/79224/2017/07/27/john-beilein-identifies-deandre-haynes-as-new-assistant-coach-could-be-on-cusp-of-another-hire/

cubird

If this happens, Dan may have to hire from within and backfill the DOB or Video Coordinator positions. Maybe we should require a home and home game with programs that poach our assistants🤔

B

BirdGrad2011

Not sure I buy the Yaklich stuff. He's an alum, has a son in high school, and is the associate head coach. Don't see him leaving for a drop in title unless the raise is massive. In a couple years I would definitely buy this as he is making a name for himself.

Manchester Matt

BirdGrad2011 said:
Not sure I buy the Yaklich stuff. He's an alum, has a son in high school, and is the associate head coach. Don't see him leaving for a drop in title unless the raise is massive. In a couple years I would definitely buy this as he is making a name for himself.

Guessing Luke doesn't want to be an assistant coach his entire life. The exposure at Michigan gets him closer to being a head coach.

Oh, and the money. Yaklich isn't making $230,000 at ISU, but he would in Ann Arbor.

Hamdonger

The raise would be massive, along with an expanded network like Santa mentioned.

But if Coach Beilein poaches two coaches from ISU, it'd be hard not to have some harsh feelings over the matter, from Muller's perspective. Yet, you can't blame the assistants for what could be a better career deal.

So goes the D1 merry-go-round.

TIMMY

BirdGrad2011 said:
That move would at the very least double his salary. That's a tough one to take a pass on.

V Boy

Muller has a relationship with all these head coaches. Beilein is one of the top 15 head coaches in the country. Can't pass that up.

I'm sure Beilein will help Muller at some point too.

Hamdonger

Assuming this is real...I can't recall a situation like this happening, where 2 assistants leave for the same school in the offseason, without a head coaching change. With head coaching changes, that does happen when coaches bring parts or all of their staff.

But this one's weird. Puts Muller in a tricky spot, and I would imagine it makes his mouth water a little more for a better D1 opportunity where he has a bit more leverage.

I know he LOVES ISU, but...

Bird Friend

https://twitter.com/themarkmathur/status/891407466453491712

Yaklich is gone.

Bird Friend

I was wondering if he was leaving, cuz he just started following Talen Horton-Tucker this afternoon.

Top Bottom