ISU early siging day - results

fourthandshort

wow .. got 19 commits to sign early !!! Impressive .. especially given coaching changes. Helps to have OC Beathard already hired, and still believe Spack will become DC again. So that was apparently of little/no concern to our recruiting class.

Anyone notice any missing commits ???

http://goredbirds.com/news/2017/12/19/2018-redbird-football-early-signing-period-tracker.aspx

Name Pos.Ht. Wt. Hometown / High School

Brian Adams RB 5'7" 170 Springfield, Illinois / Sacred Heart Griffin HS
Peyton Asche OL 6'7" 295 Pearl City, Illinois / Pearl City HS
Tristan Bailey WR 6'3" 185 Columbus, Indiana / Columbus North HS
Nathan Bax TE 6'4" 225 Jefferson City, Missouri / Helias HS
Cooper Burton DB 5'10" 160 Atchison, Kansas / St. Joseph (Mo.) Benton HS
Peter Bussone DL 6'1" 285 Normal, Illinois / Normal Community HS
Jacob Carl TE 6'4" 215 Galesburg, Illinois / Galesburg HS
Stephen Halusan WR 6'3" 205 New Berlin, Wisconsin / Eisenhower HS
Julian Haynie DB 6'2" 185 Rockford, Illinois / Guilford HS
Clayton Isbell S 6'2" 195 St. Charles, Illinois / St. Charles East HS
Damien Jackson JACK 6'3" 220 Elkhart, Indiana / Concord HS
Bryce Jefferson QB 6'2" 205 Indianapolis, Indiana / Decatur Central HS
Joey Malinowski LS 6'1" 250 Bloomington, Illinois / Central Catholic HS
Giavion Mason LB 6'0" 200 Bourbonnais, Illinois / Bishop McNamara HS
Zach Mueller OL 6'5" 295 Schofield, Wisconsin / D.C. Everest HS
Austin Nagel WR 6'1" 170 Lemont, Illinois / Lemont HS
Zach Starforth OL 6'4" 285 Peculiar, Missouri / Raymore-Peculiar HS
Landen Vesley LB 6'2" 210 Amboy, Illinois / Newman Central Catholic HS
Kenton Wilhoit LB 6'1" 210 Oak Grove, Missouri / Oak Grove HS

fourthandshort

got a first nickname recommendation

Brian Adams RB 5'7" 170 Springfield, Illinois / Sacred Heart Griffin HS

Brian "Cuts Like a Knife" Adams ... all in favor, say yea ... the yea's have it.

Next .......

p.s. Brian .. you're going to have to google the song and artist. or I can just send you my vinyl 45 record I have of it ??

ISUBU

It looks like all of these players are from our recent recruiting areas. I think our ability to go back to the same areas and recruit shows that Redbird players are having a good experience.

ChiRedbirdfan

ISUBU said:
It looks like all of these players are from our recent recruiting areas. I think our ability to go back to the same areas and recruit shows that Redbird players are having a good experience.
:text-+1: Seems so obvious what you just stated yet i have never thought of that perspective. Typically nothing sells anything better than word of mouth so that is a good sign for the future.

MadBird

Comments from north of the border:

Very happy to see OL Zach Mueller stay with it, I was especially worried with the coaching change he'd end up walking on at UW.

The WR from Wisconsin New Berlin Eisenhower, Stephen Halusan, I'm just reading some things that make me optimistic. Eisenhower had a great year, and finished runner-up in the state's D3 playoffs. This week's Milwaukee Journal Sentinel named their all-area team. Eisenhower's coach was named coach of the year. Halusan was named 2nd team at WR. It was noted he was their leading receiver with 800+ yards. He was honorable mention all-state by both the coaches and media.

Reggie Redbird

fourthandshort said:
Name Pos.Ht. Wt. Hometown / High School

Peyton Asche OL 6'7" 295 Pearl City, Illinois / Pearl City HS
Zach Mueller OL 6'5" 295 Schofield, Wisconsin / D.C. Everest HS
Zach Starforth OL 6'4" 285 Peculiar, Missouri / Raymore-Peculiar HS

That is some great size! Some of these guys may be over 300 pounds by the time they enroll. These are the type of guys who have great frames and we can build up after they redshirt for a year.

Throw in 6'1" 285 Peter Bussone on the DL as well.

When I looked at the size of the NDSU linemen, they had some big guys that were able to great running space and pass protection. I think we have those guys too who will develop over the next couple of years.

Glad we've bolstered the OL for next year with Gooey but excited for the future too.

Total Red

Staff member
:clap: Congrats to all the staff members past and present that worked hard on this recruiting class.

Welcome all new Redbirds. Great Choice.

fourthandshort

For perspective, there is thread on AGS where posters are posting how many commits their FCS team got today. NDSU (20) and ISU (19) are the highest by far. Next is JMU (13) and UCA (11). UNH and WIU had just 6 come in. A few others were all under 10.

Very encouraging that our commits were so committed to sign early. Well done ISU coaches !!!

And welcome to all of our commits .. Redbird Nation is Rising .. be ready to work on the field and in the class room !!!

redbirddad10

This seems to reflect what I've heard Coach Spack say. Part of his recruiting strategy is to recruit players who show interest in ISU. Getting recruits to come to Blo-No for the Camp during the Summer is a big point of emphasis. It may explain why we are seeing so many players are willing to commit early. ISU is recruiting guys who want to come to ISU and not players who look at ISU as a fall back or second choice. Congrats to Coach, I see this as very positive. These guys are choosing ISU, not a particular recruiting Coach. That's a smart decision. Coaches often aren't around the 4-5 years a player is at a School.

Birdfan 4Life

19 recruits is a ton compared to everyone but NDSU as 4th pointed out.

I think this shows the overall value of ISU and the power of Coach Spack. His office has about 100 photos of former players that have played in the NFL which speaks for itself. The ability to sell playing for a National Championship is high on the list as well. Anytime we seem to tick down a little we come back stronger than ever after making changes, credit to the Head Coach.

StLRedbird

Any thoughts on whether any of these guys may not be wearing a red shirt next year, for whatever reason?

fourthandshort

StLRedbird said:
Any thoughts on whether any of these guys may not be wearing a red shirt next year, for whatever reason?

If it were up to me ... only the WRs should be even be remotely considered. Maybe a DB if one is truly needed and ready.

We have plenty of nice sized DTs waiting their turn to step up. So they should be ok there. No other position group needs help so why waste that year of eligibility.

StLRedbird

fourthandshort said:
If it were up to me ... only the WRs should be even be remotely considered. Maybe a DB if one is truly needed and ready.

We have plenty of nice sized DTs waiting their turn to step up. So they should be ok there. No other position group needs help so why waste that year of eligibility.
Agreed. Just wondering if there was anyone that might force their way into the conversation for playing time. I don't follow high school sports, so it's kinda just a list of names to me. Not proud of that, btw.

TreRoberson4Heisman said:
Who is the highest rated recruit? Not that it means anything come Fall...but just curious...

Would probably depend on what site you went to, but according to 247...

https://247sports.com/college/illinois-state/Season/2018-Football/Commits

Bryce Jefferson

Atrey22

fourthandshort said:
For perspective, there is thread on AGS where posters are posting how many commits their FCS team got today. NDSU (20) and ISU (19) are the highest by far. Next is JMU (13) and UCA (11). UNH and WIU had just 6 come in. A few others were all under 10.

Apparently not accurate. The PJS today listed the names and backgrounds on 14 recruits that signed with WIU (Not 6).

fourthandshort

Atrey22 said:
fourthandshort said:

Apparently not accurate. The PJS today listed the names and backgrounds on 14 recruits that signed with WIU (Not 6).
yep, saw they reported more later in day.

fourthandshort

StLRedbird said:
fourthandshort said:

Agreed. Just wondering if there was anyone that might force their way into the conversation for playing time. I don't follow high school sports, so it's kinda just a list of names to me. Not proud of that, btw.

same here .. not following the recruits at all anymore .. too much work, unless they come in very highly touted. So I just look at position and physical profile .. so I have no clue on this group.

ISUBU

StLRedbird said:
fourthandshort said:

Normal kid Bussone may play early. We're in good shape still at DE, but our interior defensive line has opportunities to play with the departures of Keene, McCown and Hooper. I think only freshman Powell played much on the interior this season, so even with a couple more underclassmen advancing, there will probably still be a spot open in the two deep.

StLRedbird

ISUBU said:
Normal kid Bussone may play early. We're in good shape still at DE, but our interior defensive line has opportunities to play with the departures of Keene, McCown and Hooper. I think only freshman Powell played much on the interior this season, so even with a couple more underclassmen advancing, there will probably still be a spot open in the two deep.
That's just it. We thought that our OL had kids ready to step in and it turned out they weren't as ready as we thought. So we've had a housecleaning with the coaches on the offensive side. Sure wish Nowinsky had stuck around another year...