ISU Defense

ricohill

It seemed like ISU this year is giving up a lot of points so took a look at the numbers.

National Stats:
285th in scoring defense (giving up 77.5 ppg)
207th in defensive FG percentage (43.9% fg percentage for opponents)
73rd in three pt FG percentage defense (30.2% 3pt percentage for opponents)

KenPom:
189th in defensive efficiency

Against D1 teams:
Give up 79.77 ppg
- our opponents (minus the points in games against ISU) average 77.77 ppg on the season.
-we give up 2 ppg more than the opponents average on the season in other games

In our 4 games we lost:
Teams average 47.8% fg percentage on the season - we have allowed them to shoot 50.2% in games against us
-allow teams to shoot 2.4% higher than their average when we play them.

We give up 5.9 points per game more than our opponents average on the season to opponents we have lost to on the season.

In our our 4 games we lost:
We make 15.2 out of 19.6 average attempts from the line.

Opponents make an average of 17.4 our of 25.2 attempts from the line.

Teams are only making 2.2 more fts per game than us in our losses, but attempting 5.6 more.

Basically, overall and in games we lose, we do nothing to stop our opponents. We give up more points and allow them to shoot a higher FG percentage than they normally do. Then on top of that foul them and opponents attempt and make more fts.

WoodlandWarrior

And doesn’t it seem that other teams are far more adept at passing the ball to find the open 3 point shooter? We seem to be a step or two late in covering.

ricohill

Also, in D1 games we give up 11.5 offensive rebounds per game. Our opponents combined average 10.18 offensive rpg. Overall, we give up 1.3 more offensive rebounds than teams typically get. In our losses we give up 2.2 more.

So we let teams shoot a higher percentage than normal, we give them more FT's, and on top of that give them more possessions by giving up offensive rebounds.

RedbirdMan

ricohill said:
It seemed like ISU this year is giving up a lot of points so took a look at the numbers.

National Stats:

KenPom:

Against D1 teams:
Give up 79.77 ppg
- our opponents (minus the points in games against ISU) average 77.77 ppg on the season.

In our 4 games we lost:
Teams average 47.8% fg percentage on the season - we have allowed them to shoot 50.2% in games against us

We give up 5.9 points per game more than our opponents average on the season to opponents we have lost to on the season.

Teams are only making 2.2 more fts per game than us in our losses, but attempting 5.6 more.

Basically, overall and in games we lose, we do nothing to stop our opponents. We give up more points and allow them to shoot a higher FG percentage than they normally do. Then on top of that foul them and opponents attempt and make more fts.

Big thumbs up. I always appreciate your posts with the in depth stats.

Bird Friend

ricohill said:

National Stats:

KenPom:

Against D1 teams:
Give up 79.77 ppg

In our 4 games we lost:

Not sure we allow them anything, as that implies we deny them at some point.

JHBird

I wish they kept stats on what percent of the opponents shots are layups or dunks. I bet we're close to the bottom there. Also, what percent of our alley opps are we making this year...pretty low percent. Seems like 1 for 10 from the games I've seen.

birdlife

does anyone with the school/team do a shot chart that is available to the public? i know espn doesnt do it for us. i remember wondering about that during a recent home game. cant remember which one exactly, but we had missed like 10 layups by halftime.

Bird Friend

birdlife said:
does anyone with the school/team do a shot chart that is available to the public? i know espn doesnt do it for us. i remember wondering about that during a recent home game. cant remember which one exactly, but we had missed like 10 layups by halftime.

They tried that, but by end of game there were so many that it just looked like one big dot.

ricohill

Bird Friend said:
ricohill said:

National Stats:

KenPom:

Against D1 teams:
Give up 79.77 ppg

In our 4 games we lost:

Teams shoot 43% against us. They then shoot 22 fts per game - divide that by 2, so 11 trips to the line per game (bump it up to 12 for 1 missed front end of a 1 and 1 per game). So in theory teams score about 60% of the time they have the ball.

ricohill

JHBird said:
I wish they kept stats on what percent of the opponents shots are layups or dunks. I bet we're close to the bottom there. Also, what percent of our alley opps are we making this year...pretty low percent. Seems like 1 for 10 from the games I've seen.

We are one of the worst teams in the country defending inside the 3pt line. Opponents shoot 54.1% against us from 2. That ranks 268th in the country.

Retire 12

This is the single most concerning thing to me. We're soft. We all want to play offense, but nobody wants to work on the defensive end.

Someone really needs to step up and lock down.

Our 2-3 is better than our man... but every 2-3 has man principles. If you can't deny ball, box out, etc... you'll get beat no matter what defense you're in.

When we get people back, I'd advocate for a 3/4 court press all game so we have to play D less on our end just to protect us... but any lengthening of the defense requires on ball defenders who care about defense... so that's out too.

Again, this is the single most concerning part of the entire issue right now for me with this team. Nobody wants to work.

ricohill

Retire 12 said:
This is the single most concerning thing to me. We're soft. We all want to play offense, but nobody wants to work on the defensive end.

Our 2-3 is better than our man... but every 2-3 has man principles. If you can't deny ball, box out, etc... you'll get beat no matter what defense you're in.

When we get people back, I'd advocate for a 3/4 court press all game so we have to play D less on our end just to protect us... but any lengthening of the defense requires on ball defenders who care about defense... so that's out too.

Again, this is the single most concerning part of the entire issue right now for me with this team. Nobody wants to work.

I am 100% in for going zone. I look at it this way, we don't rebound when we play man defense, so why worry about how we will rebound in zone? At least we might stop giving up layups and getting beat by pretty much any offensive action the other team runs.

Granted, what made the zone in 2017 was Tony and P Lee worked their ***es off at the top and not sure we have anyone close to their level to play at the top.

Retire 12

100% with you. We dont have the work ethic on the defensive end to stop ball right now. Our guards just aren't getting it done.

It's easier for the bigs to play D down low when the guards pressure the ball. We just dont do that right now.

We really, really, really need TWill back, or someone to steal his jersey.

HT59

Retire 12 said:

That is so obvious when you watch them. I don't remember a team that seemed to hustle less .

Bird Friend

ricohill said:
Bird Friend said:
ricohill said:

National Stats:

KenPom:

Against D1 teams:
Give up 79.77 ppg

In our 4 games we lost:

Teams shoot 43% against us. They then shoot 22 fts per game - divide that by 2, so 11 trips to the line per game (bump it up to 12 for 1 missed front end of a 1 and 1 per game). So in theory teams score about 60% of the time they have the ball.

Not arguing. Just stating that we don't deny anything. I was stating that you're giving the team too much credit by saying we "allow" the other team anything. We don't deny, so they just take.

Bird Friend

ricohill said:
Retire 12 said:

I am 100% in for going zone. I look at it this way, we don't rebound when we play man defense, so why worry about how we will rebound in zone? At least we might stop giving up layups and getting beat by pretty much any offensive action the other team runs.

Granted, what made the zone in 2017 was Tony and P Lee worked their ***es off at the top and not sure we have anyone close to their level to play at the top.

If we're without Copeland for any length of time, zone or m2m won't matter. We don't have the horses either way.

ISU FAN 1

Retire 12 said:
100% with you. We dont have the work ethic on the defensive end to stop ball right now. Our guards just aren't getting it done.

It's easier for the bigs to play D down low when the guards pressure the ball. We just dont do that right now.

We really, really, really need TWill back, or someone to steal his jersey.
Since wishing is what this program has come to. Wills would solve one problem. I would rather have PLee. He would solve three, including the one Wills would solve.

stats

Strictly talking about defense, I liked Paris on the ball. Away from the ball, Tony Wills was the man. Madison Williams' defense away from the ball did not get the credit it deserved. I know David struggled guarding the bigs, but he was a rim protector when the guards wanted to drive.

Atrey22

The title of this thread "ISU Defense" is an oxymoron so far. Has losing Yaklich contributed to the decline? Hopefully when we get some more bodies healthy- we will see progress. When we are at full strength- it seems we have the athletes to play man defense- but we constantly get beat off the dribble & lose our man -- been painful to watch. Even our zone has had huge breakdowns. Seems like we just don't have any defensive leaders or intensity as a team. I really hope the light comes on and we somehow get this problem solved before conference play!

Top Bottom