Is this the year?

Birdman

I’ve been a Redbird fan since the Moser era. I’m sure some of the older guys/gals can point to other great teams, but could this be one of the best assembled Redbird rosters in a very long time? On paper it seems that way. We didn’t really have the defections we thought we might and we signed some really good talent to support what we are bringing back. I think most of us would simply be happy with making the tournament, but dare I say this team has top 25 potential? I know it’s very homerish to put statements out like that, but I’m very interested in hearing what everyone thinks on this.

Chi-bird

Birdman said:
I’ve been a Redbird fan since the Moser era. I’m sure some of the older guys/gals can point to other great teams, but could this be one of the best assembled Redbird rosters in a very long time? On paper it seems that way. We didn’t really have the defections we thought we might and we signed some really good talent to support what we are bringing back. I think most of us would simply be happy with making the tournament, but dare I say this team has top 25 potential? I know it’s very homerish to put statements out like that, but I’m very interested in hearing what everyone thinks on this.

I think we have a good team, and if someone steps up as a true leader - we can be very special. For this team, I think Keyshawn Evans is the one.

redbirdron1

Birdman,

If and only if Muller/staff can get through to the roster regarding the value of a possession. Muller's
guys tend to have way too many turnovers......silly, unforced ones. That's a show stopper in my mind.
In my mind this current squad will be talented and probably very good on certain nights but not holding my
breath on playing smart ball.

Baltimore Bird

100% agree. They do not seem to have a high BB IQ. That is what is needed to pull through when the shots are not falling or the ball is not bouncing your way or the calls are hurting you. Loyola obviously had that and played with great discipline. Maybe with almost all of the same players we will improve. It needs to for ISU to take a big step forward.

WoodlandWarrior

IMO, Strong Basketball IQ and tremendous defensive intensity during the Donewald glory years in the 80s.

Adunk33

Staff member
Birdman said:

Its definitely a slow time in sports and I am eagerly awaiting the start of basketball season. I do think we have a lot of talent coming in to help supplement the returning guys.

I think Fayne, Evans, and Milik should be All-Conference guys.
I'm still bitter Key didn't get any MVC awards last season averaging nearly over 15 ppg, and almost 4 turnovers, while shooting 40+ % from three. Like someone else said, I think Key will be the guy to step up, lead and be an absolute menace next season, and a guy you can't leave open.
I think we will see Phil take another step and add some more range to his game, not three point range, but Jackie Carmichael-like where he can go out to 15 feet or so and bring guys out and let a guy like Rey play under the basket.
Milik will be a much better decision maker. I see him playing smarter which will make his assists and point totals increase.
Boogie may make it to the most-improved team. I think he'll really buy in to defense, continue his hot hand from the end of last season shooting the ball, and put the ball down and drive to the bucket. If he can consistently drive, with the length he has, he will get way more wide open shots.
I had a chance to see some of Copeland- we have our selves a player. Great scorer.
Hopefully Elijah takes the next step, we have seen glimpses of how explosive he can be. Its my hope he hones in his ability, and not always try to make the "spectacular" play but the right play. If he can step into a backup PG role, he'll be physically tough to stop. He is a strong legit 6'3 guard.
I'd really like to see Taylor continue to get minutes. He played well up until his concussion. He stepped in as a true freshman out of need and impressed me most of the season. I think with Taylor, we have our own version of UNI's Koch brothers. He plays smart.
Chastain, I like a lot too. It might take him some time to find his rhythm or groove. It's been almost two, really three, years since he has played meaningful basketball. He'll be a rotation guy too.

The jury is still out on Abdou, Rey, and Jefferson. I have not seen enough of these guys to see how they fit into the mold. I will say Muller has never had guys like Rey and Abdou with ISU before. With Rey, he is a legit 5 and has a college ready body. Abdou is a freak physically and athletically. From what I have seen, his game reminds me of Giannis Antetokounmpo. He's a 6'10 "guard-forward" with a 7'3 wingspan.

Muller has made it pretty clear he is all in on Hein, so I imagine him to be a rotational guy. Gassman, who I thought played well offensively last season as a RS Freshman, and basically a walk-on, will likely go back to walk-on minutes.

We have a bunch of guys coming in and enough minutes for them, but not all of them. Someone is going to be unhappy with their PT and leave at the end of the year. I really think we have something with the two freshmen, and hope they stick through because in the 19-20 season, there are a ton of minutes available.

I'd like our rotation to be 10, but it'll likely be 8. If I were to say the top 8 it would be; Fayne, Evans, Milik, Boogie, Copeland, Elijah, Taylor, Chastain. 9th would be Hein.

I'm sure Jefferson, Abdou, and Rey did not come here to ride the pine. But this is just what I see based off of the basketball I have seen, with hype set aside.

DannyCooksey

Baltimore Bird said:
100% agree. They do not seem to have a high BB IQ. That is what is needed to pull through when the shots are not falling or the ball is not bouncing your way or the calls are hurting you. Loyola obviously had that and played with great discipline. Maybe with almost all of the same players we will improve. It needs to for ISU to take a big step forward.

this x100

I would also add that it depends on if the players are willing to sell out for each other. sacrifice on and off the court for the greater good of the team. value possessions and shot selection.

the Birds teams of the last 10-12 years always seem to make things a lot harder on themselves than they need to.

HT59

:text-+1:
WoodlandWarrior said:
IMO, Strong Basketball IQ and tremendous defensive intensity during the Donewald glory years in the 80s.

Phantom

We will have tons of talent, depth, athleticism and good experience. We have major pieces back and what should be real good supplements around them. We seem to have a lot of enthusiasm and guys ready to get after it and finally be on the right side of the scoreboard on Sunday in St. Louis.

Basically we have everything needed to finally get this done.

Of course, we all said the same damn thing in '08'-'09 too. If Jankovich only had Muller's schedules...

ILSTUGRAD11

I mean, who knows. Unfortunately our conference comes down to either going undefeated in the regular season including non-conference or win arch madness to get in so I guess it comes down to, will this team win an elimination tournament next March and I think the answer is frankly, who knows. If this was a few years ago, I would say I think this team has the potential to put together a resume that would warrant an at-large bid but after the 2016-17 season and the fact that Loyola wouldn't have got in last year if they didn't win the tournament, I don't think it is worth speculating in June if this team can make the tournament.

Birdswin

I would agree with several others saying it will depend on improved discipline on both ends of the court, and about playing as a team versus playing as five individuals and trying to be the "star" instead of just being a good teammate.

Tpguy

Da coach and Da team need to learn that they can use more than a 15 second shot clock.

Redbird Alum 2004

If they guys buy into defense then yes this will be the year for them. Watching Loyola in the tournament had to burn that into their brains that defense and taking care of the ball wins games. Talent level is off the charts so now they just need the edge to them.

Bird Friend

Tpguy said:
Da coach and Da team need to learn that they can use more than a 15 second shot clock.

Then again, if they use those 15 seconds effectively, that’s okay.

Redbirdwarrior

This is the season for me and lots of fans, at least. I'm sure of this. You all know I'm as positive as it comes about all ISU teams. Well, this will be the perfect storm for ISU. UNI isn't back to form yet, MoSt and EVille hit reset, Indy St, Drake, Valpo are all bad at basketball. This means that this is a 4 team race with quite a bit of gap between those 4 teams and everyone else. Loyola, ISU, Bradley and SIU are all going to be T75 teams and I honestly see the top 2 making the show because of that fact.

ISU has 3 of the top 8 returning players in the Valley plus an incredible group of high level talent.

Long story short: the MUST be the year. You lose Fayne, MY and Evans- all of which should be getting at least SOME consideration for preseason POY- after this season. With Ndayie, Copeland and the wonderful supporting cast they will have, ISU could hold serve for a few years at champion, but you have to win one before you can repeat.

This will be ISU's best chance to win this conference straight up in the last 20 years.

That said, if we end up with less than 24 wins by St. Louis, I will consider this a failed season and I will be FAR less interested the next year. I don't tie my fandom to making the tournament because, as we saw 2 years ago, sometimes you can be one of the very best teams in program history and still get stiffed by money and politics because this sport is criminally corrupt starting about March 1.

Hamdonger

Biggest aspect for me...while I'd like a slew of wins...is this: Will we be absolutely tough to beat come ArchMadness?? Win. The. Tournament.

Its no cakewalk though, gang. Valley has some weight at the top this year. GOOD teams. And there's always a surprise contender in there somewhere. As good as we look on paper...we're not a shoo-in.

Hamdonger

Tell ya this. I'd love to see Bradley and ISU on a collective streak and have 'em play before 10K at Redbird.

"STUCKKKKEY. STUCKKKKKEY. STUCKKKKKEY..."

DoubleDeuce

I'm buying in, it's the Redbirds' year. Conference is good and we are better.

Top Bottom