Immediate Eligibility for Transfers?

DWRedbird

It would likely hurt us (and every mid-major) but it is the right thing to do for the players, so I'm for it.

MadBird

I'm conflicted about this.

I DO think all athletes should be treated the same - I don't see why track or tennis can transfer w/o sitting out but baseball or hoops or FB have to. Makes no sense (along those same lines, why hockey players can play junior hockey for a couple years, or baseball and hockey can be drafted but still return to college and play, confuses me).

But creating chaos in college sports seems crazy too. Just throwing open the doors seems "dangerous".

But you know, the graduate transfer thing seems to benefit "mid-majors" a little more. If this "open transfer" thing happened, you know, you're sitting there at a Big 10 school and some transfer comes in who's going to take your place next fall or winter, you get "recruited over", don't you look around and find a place where you can show your stuff?

ricohill

Does this eliminate the grad transfer rule? I haven't read into it, but would think that eliminates that loophole. It will be interesting to see how this works. I think it is fair. Give the athletes one chance to find a new place if it doesn't work out. I assume there will be some Power 5 kids that realize that a mid-major is better as well. Power 5 schools are going to steal good mid-majors no matter what.

Birdswin

This will by far benefit the P5 - it will more than ever before, treat all others like a minor leagues. In fact, I would be willing to bet, there will be some coaches who tell a player they like them, but do not have a spot right now. Go to a Valley school to get a scholarship and playing time - when there is a spot, we will welcome you in.

Yes, this will be a two-way street, where traffic is about 90 percent one-way and 10 percent the other way - if it will be that close - maybe 95%-5%.

MadBird

Birdswin said:
This will by far benefit the P5 - it will more than ever before, treat all others like a minor leagues. In fact, I would be willing to bet, there will be some coaches who tell a player they like them, but do not have a spot right now. Go to a Valley school to get a scholarship and playing time - when there is a spot, we will welcome you in.

Yes, this will be a two-way street, where traffic is about 90 percent one-way and 10 percent the other way - if it will be that close - maybe 95%-5%.

But it's gotta open up slots one way or the other. The transfers have to get scholarships, so if a guy leaves ISU to go to Purdue, someone on the current Purdue team has to lose one, or a high school kid who was gonna go to Purdue won't get one. You know what I mean? If a guy on Purdue loses his scholarship and moves "down" to Ball State, someone at Ball State loses out. It just ripples.

I'm not saying this is good for the ISU's of the world, and I don't support the new proposal, but I just wonder if it won't be all that bad.

JHBird

This just frees up the talent to go where it needs to go. I agree with the MVC becoming the minor leagues of the power schools. Players will flow both ways, but the talent will flow to the power schools.

TIMMY

MadBird said:
Birdswin said:

But it's gotta open up slots one way or the other. The transfers have to get scholarships, so if a guy leaves ISU to go to Purdue, someone on the current Purdue team has to lose one, or a high school kid who was gonna go to Purdue won't get one. You know what I mean? If a guy on Purdue loses his scholarship and moves "down" to Ball State, someone at Ball State loses out. It just ripples.

I'm not saying this is good for the ISU's of the world, and I don't support the new proposal, but I just wonder if it won't be all that bad.
Do you want to trade a promising player like DJ to Purdue for the worst guy on Ball State's roster? Or the best guy on Chicago State's? I don't think I do.

Birdswin

There is nothing to be gained by supporting this proposal. Being complacent to the P5 is a disaster. Neville Chamberlain proved the point of complacency only feeds the ego, along with strengthening and emboldening those already with power or perceived power, to act more defiantly.

Redbird222

Birdswin said:

There is a limited number of spots. Someone from mid major moving to P5 displaces a current kid or potential freshman. The traffic may be the same but quality may be one way.

GhostofMBA

Athletic scholarships seem to be only 1 year . Why should a "student athlete" NOT be eligible to transfer once your 1 year commitment has completed? If you want a "student athlete" to stick around for 4 years, then give them a 4 year scholarship. But a coach can "chuck" a "student athlete" at the end of the scholarship contract, which again are usually 1 year. Why cannot a "student athlete" not be able to NOT resign the scholarship and immediately play somewhere else?

If you now know scholarships are only 1 year contracts and NOT 4 year guarantees, then does that change your view?

I believe this helps MMs more to get better depth on the roster. How many times has a MM gone into the bench and we see a significant drop off on production? It is like the ole saying in sports, the 4th quarter is where the talent and the depth chart begin to take over.

Redbird222

GhostofMBA said:
Athletic scholarships seem to be only 1 year . Why should a "student athlete" NOT be eligible to transfer once your 1 year commitment has completed? If you want a "student athlete" to stick around for 4 years, then give them a 4 year scholarship. But a coach can "chuck" a "student athlete" at the end of the scholarship contract, which again are usually 1 year. Why cannot a "student athlete" not be able to NOT resign the scholarship and immediately play somewhere else?

If you now know scholarships are only 1 year contracts and NOT 4 year guarantees, then does that change your view?

I believe this helps MMs more to get better depth on the roster. How many times has a MM gone into the bench and we see a significant drop off on production? It is like the ole saying in sports, the 4th quarter is where the talent and the depth chart begin to take over.
There are both 1 year and 4 year scholarships. The ability to offer a 4 year scholarship started in 2012. Also in 2015, I believe all power 5 conferences agreed to offer only 4 year guaranteed scholarships to incoming freshman. This was the year my daughter was recruited and she received a 4 year at a Big 12 school.

This link below provides a good summary.

https://informedathlete.com/the-facts-about-guaranteed-multi-year-ncaa-di-scholarships/

GhostofMBA

Redbird222 said:
There are both 1 year and 4 year scholarships. The ability to offer a 4 year scholarship started in 2012. Also in 2015, I believe all power 5 conferences agreed to offer only 4 year guaranteed scholarships to incoming freshman. This was the year my daughter was recruited and she received a 4 year at a Big 12 school.

https://informedathlete.com/the-facts-about-guaranteed-multi-year-ncaa-di-scholarships/
Big congrats on a 4 year guaranteed athletic scholarship! Thanks for the updated information.

Looks like the big boys are already giving out 4 year guaranteed scholarships. :lol:

Anyone know if any ISUR MBB players on a guaranteed 4 year contract?

TIMMY

GhostofMBA said:
Redbird222 said:

Big congrats on a 4 year guaranteed athletic scholarship! Thanks for the updated information.

Looks like the big boys are already giving out 4 year guaranteed scholarships. :lol:

That's a real nice rule. I can see how it makes a kid feel a little bit secure. But a coach still controls playing time and I would think that and winning are the biggest motivators for a transfer.

GhostofMBA

Either no one knows for sure about the 4 year contracts or all the MBB schollies are only 1 year contracts. I understand two parties have to agree on a 4 year contract. I am interested if a 4 year contract has been offered in the past. If the contract obligations are fulfilled, then why should a "student athlete" not be able to transfer without penalty?

Top Bottom