Illinois State Ethics Office concludes investigation into report of racial slur used at game

isutaz

Good afternoon,

Today, I am updating the campus community following communication with Norfolk State on the University's investigation into the report of a racial slur directed at a Norfolk State player by an Illinois State fan sitting courtside at our men's basketball game on Saturday, December 9, 2023, at Horton Fieldhouse. That investigation has concluded, and I'd like to share our process and findings.

As I've previously shared, Illinois State has a zero-tolerance policy for acts of racism, including racial slurs and other offensive language targeting people for their background or identity, and fully reviews all claims. History shows us that incidents like this have happened far too often in many public spaces, without accountability or appropriate repercussions. It is important to me and our entire campus community that such behavior is not only called out as unacceptable, but also redressed. As such, this claim was immediately elevated beyond Athletics to Illinois State's Ethics Office for a full investigation.

Over the last month and a half, Illinois State's Ethics Officer and university staff spent hours reviewing all available video and audio recordings. The available footage included full broadcast files from ESPN+ and WJBC Radio/Redbird Sports Properties, as well as raw footage from ESPN+ cameras.

From these video sources, along with the lead official's game report, game operations plan, and seating diagrams, the Ethics Office identified more than 50 individuals in the general vicinity of the alleged incident or associated with game operations, including game officials, media, Norfolk State student-athletes, ISU student-athletes, ISU staff, and spectators.

Of those identified, the investigation received statements from 47 individuals, with only Norfolk State declining to participate. We can appreciate and share common ground with Norfolk State in its desire to move forward and focus on positive and progressive outcomes that will continue to uplift its student-athletes. As final requests for statements and interviews are now complete, the Illinois State University Ethics Office has moved to officially close the investigation.

While the investigation was unable to verify the use of a racial slur, Illinois State remains committed to promoting an open and inclusive campus community where all people feel welcomed, valued, and respected. It is our goal as a university to move forward with a renewed effort to promote and encourage practices on our campus that help us demonstrate that commitment, including those outlined in Illinois State's Event Code of Conduct, the Athletics Code of Sportsmanship, and the Missouri Valley Conference Sportsmanship Standards of Conduct.

Sincerely,

Aondover Tarhule, Ph.D.
Interim President

Reggie Redbird

Based on the lead official’s statement being cited in the report, it appears to be a nod that what NSU’s Coach stated about his conversations with the officials conflicts with what is in the official’s report.

It does not appear that the fans are bringing a defamation suit (at this time) against NSU and its employee (coach), so I would venture that all parties are choosing to move on.

Last edited:

Birdswin

What a weak statement. Sounds like the interim AD is disappointed not one of the 47 people interviewed could verify anything derogatory was said.
Then no one from Norfolk State would agree to even be interviewed??? What is up with that???

I noticed the coach was looking up into the stands and all around - even before the game and several times during the game - like he was anticipating something. My wife and I, along with our kids, their spouses, and friends were sitting in rows 10, 11, and 12 of the upper deck - several even noticed that the coach would look around during the game several times. Was not until after the game when we found what was going on during that whole ordeal. Same thing with the reaction at the scorer's table. In retrospect - a line from MacBeth comes to mind - Me thinks he doth protests too much.

Bdub777

What a weak statement. Sounds like the interim AD is disappointed not one of the 47 people interviewed could verify anything derogatory was said.
Then no one from Norfolk State would agree to even be interviewed??? What is up with that???

I noticed the coach was looking up into the stands and all around - even before the game and several times during the game - like he was anticipating something. My wife and I, along with our kids, their spouses, and friends were sitting in rows 10, 11, and 12 of the upper deck - several even noticed that the coach would look around during the game several times. Was not until after the game when we found what was going on during that whole ordeal. Same thing with the reaction at the scorer's table. In retrospect - a line from MacBeth comes to mind - Me thinks he doth protests too much.

“What a weak statement. Sounds like the interim AD is disappointed not one of the 47 people interviewed could verify anything derogatory was said.”
Care to elaborate on why you believe Beggs is disappointed? What possible reason would she have to feel that way? It’s damn hard to prove a negative. Without restarting a war of words, what would you expect ISU to say?

schoolsportsfan

Dear Dr Tarhule…

I’m sure this was not an easy investigation. But, you wrote the most politically correct statement I have ever read. Call out Norfolk St, stand up for the accused and quit writing something so bland. You let us down.

gobirds85

Too little, too late. Norfolk St got their faux outrage out about what didn’t happen. Social media stepped in and ran with it. I won’t be holding my breath waiting for an apology from them. Footnote in stoopidity and ignorance.

Aggie

Does any of this surprise anyone? That ISU would issue a totally political correct statement that did not stick up for the fans, even though no one could verify anything actually was said? That Norfolk State chose not to participate. One, Norfolk State had lawyers in their ears telling them to walk away. Two, ISU just told fans not to attend games in person. I figure many here will complain about statement number two, but who wants to risk being accused of something one never did and then being abandoned by a politically correct statement. If your investigation found out nothing was said, just state that fact and move on.

redbirds2000

Does any of this surprise anyone? That ISU would issue a totally political correct statement that did not stick up for the fans, even though no one could verify anything actually was said? That Norfolk State chose not to participate. One, Norfolk State had lawyers in their ears telling them to walk away. Two, ISU just told fans not to attend games in person. I figure many here will complain about statement number two, but who wants to risk being accused of something one never did and then being abandoned by a politically correct statement. If your investigation found out nothing was said, just state that fact and move on.
Do you know how the accused fans feel about the statement??

B

BirdGrad2011

Brea Banks, former women’s player and current associate professor, is all over Twitter crying because this didn’t happen. Have some respect for your school and employer. What an embarrassment to employ someone that is upset nothing racist happened.

Manchester Matt

Brea Banks, former women’s player and current associate professor, is all over Twitter crying because this didn’t happen. Have some respect for your school and employer. What an embarrassment to employ someone that is upset nothing racist happened.
So basically Banks doesn't think Norfolk State needed to participate in any follow-up because of the "hurt" it created. With that comment, she's saying this did indeed happen, albeit at an event she admittedly did not attend, while taking shots at Ryan Pedon nearly two months after the fact.

So in her mind, there's literally ZERO chance the Norfolk State contingent lied about this, and ran with it because they didn't think the opposing university would do anything.

Pretty disappointing stuff.

Phantom

Not surprising at all that nothing was found in the investigation because there was nothing to find. The whole thing stunk from the get-go and seemed fabricated on the spot. Coach Jones didn't want to talk about it after the game, or the next day. So it's also no surprise that nobody from NSU participated. Disappointing that Brea, who was a player when I was there and a really cool person, would take that stance though, especially after admitting she wasn't there/didn't see it.

Last edited:

isuquinndog

Administrator
Staff member
We are all biased. If because we are ISU fans, we don't like how NSU handle themselves or we just believe "that doesn't happen in our town", we are all biased.

Hopefully the fans learn they shouldn't interact with players during a game. Hopefully schools and fans learn not to spout off until we actually know what happened.

But, I'm more positive no one learned any thing and every one on both sides is just more pissed off.

Redbird82

I don’t have twitter, just curious any pushback to her on twitter?

B

BirdGrad2011

Here ya go. This is the gist and not all.

Attachments

• IMG_6272.jpeg
    IMG_6272.jpeg
    575.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6272.jpeg
    IMG_6272.jpeg
    575.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6273.jpeg
    IMG_6273.jpeg
    505.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6274.jpeg
    IMG_6274.jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6275.jpeg
    IMG_6275.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 69
B

BirdGrad2011

We are all biased. If because we are ISU fans, we don't like how NSU handle themselves or we just believe "that doesn't happen in our town", we are all biased.

Hopefully the fans learn they shouldn't interact with players during a game. Hopefully schools and fans learn not to spout off until we actually know what happened.

But, I'm more positive no one learned any thing and every one on both sides is just more pissed off.
Well, we have a group of gentlemen who were called racist and ejected from a game over something that didnt happen. In 2024 their lives could’ve been ruined over a lie. So yeah one side is going to pissed off.

Top Bottom