IL state law would ban tackle fb for pre-12yr olds...

chuckie1980

http://wgntv.com/2018/01/25/illinois-law-would-ban-tackle-football-for-kids-under-12/

bb fan

So, we have $7 billion in unppaid bills. We have a $250 billion pension / healthcare deficit. Taxpayers and fleeing the state in huge numbers. The nation's highest property taxes.

And this is the nonsense they choose to deal with. Dump them all.

Hamdonger

bb fan said:
So, we have $7 billion in unppaid bills. We have a $250 billion pension / healthcare deficit. Taxpayers and fleeing the state in huge numbers. The nation's highest property taxes.

BB...rightON.

Chi-bird

Whatever politician came up with this law needs to be taken out back and have the crap kicked out of them.

MadBird

I'm not defending the law, looks wacky to me, but don't people get what's going on here?

The PROPOSED law was cooked up by the Duerson family and something called the Concussion Legacy Foundation. Someone approached the state representative, I assume the Duerson's or the foundation or both are constituents of hers, and asked her to sponsor their proposal. She obliged. There's no guarantee this actually becomes law.

Dozens and dozens if not hundreds of bills are "introduced" each year that never even get voted on, some don't even get a committee hearing. Let's see if this one has any legs.

salsa

MadBird said:
I'm not defending the law, looks wacky to me, but don't people get what's going on here?

The PROPOSED law was cooked up by the Duerson family and something called the Concussion Legacy Foundation. Someone approached the state representative, I assume the Duerson's or the foundation or both are constituents of hers, and asked her to sponsor their proposal. She obliged. There's no guarantee this actually becomes law.

Dozens and dozens if not hundreds of bills are "introduced" each year that never even get voted on, some don't even get a committee hearing. Let's see if this one has any legs.
Exactly. This one just gets publicity. It's not likely to make it out of committee.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hamdonger

Guess the point I'm wondering about is does this really belong under GOVERNMENT legislation??

Not opposed one bit about the safety of our youngsters. Heck yes we should be concerned!! Combined with Illinois politics, or really, politics in general...it tastes bad and leaves me suspicious.

Kinda like the after midnight Avanti's I had out by the airport a couple yrs ago.

TIMMY

I love football. Everything I have in life is owed to football. In fact the only jobs I have ever had are a direct result being involved in the game. But as we learn, we grow.
Everyone should read this.
https://www.bu.edu/cte/2018/01/18/new-study-led-by-bu-cte-center-researcher-dr-lee-godstein-shows-hits-not-concussions-cause-cte/
This study is downright scary.

A few thoughts on youth football.
I didn't let my son play until 8th grade. He turned out alright.
I have spent over 30 years reteaching bad habits "coached" buy guys who didn't know what they were doing. This includes blocking and tackling and a million other poorly coached techniques. Coaching malpractice.
I have had 3 kids make it to the NFL. None of them played youth football. It's my observation that youth football has no correlation to success in high school and college.
I've thought for a long time that 9 yearolds in pads on a 95 degree day was more about the adults than it was about the kids.
I'm not sure about this legislation, but maybe it's a step in the right direction. If something is not done the game is going Bye Bye.

redbirddad10

All you football lovers better pay attention. Dave Duerson is a tragic case study in what CTE is capable of doing to someone. He was a intelligent, successful, well thought of professional after football who descended into violent outbursts, domestic abuse and inexplicable business failures. I have contacts at Notre Dame and heard the stories before he took his life of how he had been so well thought of and then completely unraveled. It is well documented that many close to him saw a complete personality change. Not too unlike Mike Webster of the Steelers, the first confirmed case of CTE. I agree that football is one of many sports that has a CTE issue. But the NFL has done nothing to mitigate the concerns or cooperate with the investigations into what the issues are. Read the reports, if anything the NFL has stood in the way or thwarted efforts to get to the bottom of this condition. This is exactly what Government should be doing! When the private sector refuses to address these issues and good people, like Dave Duerson, are being hurt that is when the Government should step in. By the way, the majority of people impacted won't be former professional athletes, who have wealth and the Players Union to advocate for them. It's going to be former High School and College Athletes dealing with the effects of CTE without anyone looking out for them. Who knows it may explain some of these responses:)

Hamdonger

TIMMY said:
I love football. Everything I have in life is owed to football. In fact the only jobs I have ever had are a direct result being involved in the game. But as we learn, we grow.
Everyone should read this.
https://www.bu.edu/cte/2018/01/18/new-study-led-by-bu-cte-center-researcher-dr-lee-godstein-shows-hits-not-concussions-cause-cte/
This study is downright scary.

A few thoughts on youth football.
I didn't let my son play until 8th grade. He turned out alright.
I have spent over 30 years reteaching bad habits "coached" buy guys who didn't know what they were doing. This includes blocking and tackling and a million other poorly coached techniques. Coaching malpractice.
I have had 3 kids make it to the NFL. None of them played youth football. It's my observation that youth football has no correlation to success in high school and college.
I've thought for a long time that 9 yearolds in pads on a 95 degree day was more about the adults than it was about the kids.
I'm not sure about this legislation, but maybe it's a step in the right direction. If something is not done the game is going Bye Bye.

One thing about you Timmy. You ALWAYS make a compelling argument when it comes to football and safety and the changing times within. Keep bringing it.

TheTruth

bb fan said:

Amen..... well said!

fourthandshort

Humdinger said:
TIMMY said:
Coaching malpractice.

VERY thought-compelling statement.
Great post Timmy.

The malpractice extends to coaches who encourage kids to play thru injuries. Brian Urlacher has admitted he was conditioned to believe you don't tell anyone when you are feeling concussed. Many coaches continue to subtly and not so subtly push kids to tough it out. More are observing concussion protocols ... but never would have happened unless coaches were forced to. And don't think athletic trainers aren't also part of the problem .. many know their jobs and loyalties are to football and whatever that coach demands.

ChiRedbirdfan

As for the concussion topic also watch League of Denial by Frontline if you have not already watched it. Webster is front and "center" in that episode. I chose not to let my younger son play football in high school due some of the CTE studies. As long as people do their homework on the health issues with any sport and are making an informed decision on whether to play or not then to each their own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edpTZsdYFL4

Chi-bird

My issue is that I generally don't believe government (which often times is just the current majority) should be overly involved in people's lives. Again, the main point is generally.

As far as the NFL's wrongdoings...sue the crap out of them if they're liable. If football needs to be modified for the greater good of the sport, so be it If public schools want to drop it due to costs, liabilities, that's one thing..... but the idea that laws can prevent kids from playing a sport that includes tackling just does not sit well with me. I sustained 2 concussions from playing basketball throughout my life. There have been a number of broken bones, sudden cardiac deaths, etc. Why not ban that?

GOP_Redbird

bb fan said:

Madigan needs to pound sand.

TIMMY

Not about politics or Madigan.
It is about kids brains.
https://concussionfoundation.org/programs/flag-football

TIMMY

Chi-bird said:
My issue is that I generally don't believe government (which often times is just the current majority) should be overly involved in people's lives. Again, the main point is generally.

As far as the NFL's wrongdoings...sue the crap out of them if they're liable. If football needs to be modified for the greater good of the sport, so be it If public schools want to drop it due to costs, liabilities, that's one thing..... but the idea that laws can prevent kids from playing a sport that includes tackling just does not sit well with me. I sustained 2 concussions from playing basketball throughout my life. There have been a number of broken bones, sudden cardiac deaths, etc. Why not ban that?

Chi it's not about concussions. It's about sub-concussive hits over a period of time. Studies show a child will receive 500-900 of these during a season.

fourthandshort

TIMMY said:
Chi-bird said:

Chi it's not about concussions. It's about sub-concussive hits over a period of time. Studies show a child will receive 500-900 of these during a season.

which makes this situation more analogous to laws that forbid kids from buying cigarettes or alcohol ... it is unhealthy, and kids sometimes need to be protected by the government from the grown-ups who would exploit them if they could. sometimes government is the solution.

p.s. look up Camel Cigarette Ads and how they targeted kids decades ago .. this is why Cigarette companies can no longer air TV commercials .. combine that with the whole nicotine thing. Sometimes, we just can't trust the grown ups to look to for our kids .. quite the opposite in some cases.

Top Bottom